Dock 2014.04 OK?

OP pelago

7th October 2014, 10:39 AM   |  #31  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

91 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mack33

I just got a 4014.03 dock from Amazon (bundle) and it is slightly wobbly (similar to my 700 after over a year of constant use) and it has disconnected several times. I'm not going to take chances so I'll probably send it back and wait another couple of months and either buy it again or see what Asus has next. If I could just combine the performance of the TF701 with the reliability of my TF700 keyboard that would be ideal. No other form factor really excites me in comparison.

Thanks. Is that Amazon UK or where? And was the seller Amazon themselves or a third-party? The reason I'm asking is that I was thinking of making another Amazon UK purchase after my one in June (which I returned unopened) had an old date, so it would be good to know if they have new stock or not.
7th October 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #32  
Thanks Meter: 7

139 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelago

Thanks. Is that Amazon UK or where? And was the seller Amazon themselves or a third-party? The reason I'm asking is that I was thinking of making another Amazon UK purchase after my one in June (which I returned unopened) had an old date, so it would be good to know if they have new stock or not.

Amazon US
The Following User Says Thank You to n8mack33 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st October 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #33  
Thanks Meter: 7

139 posts
Hey everyone, please post here if you buy a new keyboard with the manufacture date, whether it has any problems (wobble/disconnect, etc.) and where and when you purchased it. Thanks. I for one would buy from Amazon US right now if I knew they had good keyboards in stock. Unfortunately the 2014.03 keyboard I bought from Amazon US a couple of weeks ago is disconnecting quite frequently so I am returning it.

Edit: Oh and the HDMI on the tablet was a pretty bad connection and would disconnect depending on the angle and pull from the cord.
Last edited by n8mack33; 21st October 2014 at 12:26 AM.
19th November 2014, 10:01 PM   |  #34  
Thanks Meter: 53

69 posts
I just got a new 2014.04 dock off of ebay. The tablet goes in easily but snugly, and there's no wobble. I've had no issues with loose electrical connections whatsoever. I have to say, this tablet really shines with a good keyboard dock.
21st December 2014, 07:41 PM   |  #35  
Flag Marietta, GA
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
More
2014.03 Dock
Posting as requested.

I have a TF700 without dock running SDbags for Cromi-X Rom. It's cool.

I have a 2014.03 Amazon US TF701T which I rooted and am running CyanogenMod 4.4.4 and i have tried progressed through 4 nightlies since Nov 27 or so - current is 12/20/2014 nightly.

The keyboard is NOT wobbly at all - at least that I notice - BUT it frequently disconnects if I don't have it flat on the table (like in my lap) or if I move the screen (flex the joint) frequently.

I can live that, since I don't do a lot of typing.

I have two issues that do concern me:

1. the touch screen does not seems to be as responsive as either my Samsung S3 or Note3. But the TF700T touch is also not super in my opinion. I don't seem to be able to accurately hit it sometimes (or it is not listening to me). This is a bit annoying. I have been looking for a tweak or something to adjust sensitivity but cannot seem to find one.

The other issue is battery - as mentioned on another thread the battery use seems way to high (by the AndroidOS curiously).
I first tried killing Bluetooth and Compass all the time, and have GPS off. Then I tried killing Wifi whenever I was currently using it (and SYNC obviously).
I then tried Greenify after ES-TaskManager and a couple of others (getting rid of each to make sure there was no interference between them).
I have xPosed and tried a few things there.
But not matter what, if I just close the screen, it will run down the battery in maybe 5 hours or so - and that is with dock connected and its battery also.
Since this does not happen with phone, with stuff on, and my using it - I get 12-14 hours of the the phones (S3 and Note3).
So this does no seem satisfactory at all.

I am still hoping for S/W fixes to these issue - and searching - but that is the state of affairs are nearly a month of playing with it.

OTHERWISE, I like it a lot, like the feel of the keyboard, the MicroSD and SD cards work great - and I actually use it as a phone with a headset and Skype (with subscription) for conference calls.
The screen is great - and I really like CM 11 (KitKit 4.4.4)

So I am not giving up on it - and I may even try to get into the code if I get a breather from my other work as I have a lot of embedded programming experience. But I am hoping no to re-invent the wheel if someone else has solved these issues.

I agree the former issue of the dock connector (being an Electrical Engineer myself) is that the designers were a bit optimistic about the structural integrity of that arrangement.
It IS a nice looking package though. I will probably end up playing with solutions to the connector if it ends up bugging me much.

Steve Conley.
22nd December 2014, 08:23 AM   |  #36  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,077

3,227 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveConley

Posting as requested.

I have a TF700 without dock running SDbags for Cromi-X Rom. It's cool.

I have a 2014.03 Amazon US TF701T which I rooted and am running CyanogenMod 4.4.4 and i have tried progressed through 4 nightlies since Nov 27 or so - current is 12/20/2014 nightly.

The keyboard is NOT wobbly at all - at least that I notice - BUT it frequently disconnects if I don't have it flat on the table (like in my lap) or if I move the screen (flex the joint) frequently.

I can live that, since I don't do a lot of typing.

I have two issues that do concern me:

1. the touch screen does not seems to be as responsive as either my Samsung S3 or Note3. But the TF700T touch is also not super in my opinion. I don't seem to be able to accurately hit it sometimes (or it is not listening to me). This is a bit annoying. I have been looking for a tweak or something to adjust sensitivity but cannot seem to find one.

The other issue is battery - as mentioned on another thread the battery use seems way to high (by the AndroidOS curiously).
I first tried killing Bluetooth and Compass all the time, and have GPS off. Then I tried killing Wifi whenever I was currently using it (and SYNC obviously).
I then tried Greenify after ES-TaskManager and a couple of others (getting rid of each to make sure there was no interference between them).
I have xPosed and tried a few things there.
But not matter what, if I just close the screen, it will run down the battery in maybe 5 hours or so - and that is with dock connected and its battery also.
Since this does not happen with phone, with stuff on, and my using it - I get 12-14 hours of the the phones (S3 and Note3).
So this does no seem satisfactory at all.

I am still hoping for S/W fixes to these issue - and searching - but that is the state of affairs are nearly a month of playing with it.

OTHERWISE, I like it a lot, like the feel of the keyboard, the MicroSD and SD cards work great - and I actually use it as a phone with a headset and Skype (with subscription) for conference calls.
The screen is great - and I really like CM 11 (KitKit 4.4.4)

So I am not giving up on it - and I may even try to get into the code if I get a breather from my other work as I have a lot of embedded programming experience. But I am hoping no to re-invent the wheel if someone else has solved these issues.

I agree the former issue of the dock connector (being an Electrical Engineer myself) is that the designers were a bit optimistic about the structural integrity of that arrangement.
It IS a nice looking package though. I will probably end up playing with solutions to the connector if it ends up bugging me much.

Steve Conley.

The battery drain has been introduced with the latest updates to Google Play services. We've been at it for a week and found two solutions or workarounds. It's a really quick and easy hack and you'll be back at hardly any drain without turning anything of.
Check out this thread and keep checking in, I don't think we're totally finished with this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2609964&page=9
Last edited by berndblb; 22nd December 2014 at 08:27 AM.
22nd December 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #37  
Flag Marietta, GA

5 posts
More
Thumbs up Wow - this fixed the battery issue beautifully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb

The battery drain has been introduced with the latest updates to Google Play services. We've been at it for a week and found two solutions or workarounds. It's a really quick and easy hack and you'll be back at hardly any drain without turning anything of.
Check out this thread and keep checking in, I don't think we're totally finished with this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2609964&page=9

>>> I have a 2014.03 TF701T bought only 2 months ago. I had rooted and applied CM11 and tried 3 nightlies. My battery use was TERRIBLE ... I finally found the forum mentioned here last night about 9pm (not normally up at 2am, berndblb ! - but thanks for replying here ALSO too).
I RENAMED the two "so" files to xxx.so_bad in the two folders:
/system/vendor/lib/drm
/system/vendor/lib/mediadrm
Previously, leaving it in NO WIFI, NO GPS, mode and asleep over night, left BOTH batteries nearly drained.
Almost all "battery drain" showed to be AndroidOS.
After the fix, same EXACT conditions, both batteries show 100% this morning !
I am proceeding to turn back on the WIFI and repeat - but it looks like this is solved except for breaking what ever those files were doing.
I will only post back if I see an issue with this fix.
Thanks guys - I had spent 3 or 4 days on this over the last month and was very disappointed. I am now elated - because I really do like the hardware.

A bit off topic - but had also bought a Poetic "leatherette" three piece folding "portfolio" to kept and protect the unit in while traveling. It is built for the DOCK also which is why I am mentioning it.
It seems a nice "idea" - but it is QUITE bulky because of the three folds and initially I thought it was the cause of the problem with disconnecting from the dock - but later found it was not.
The other problem is that the "good" camera is completely blocked - although I really never use a camera on a tablet - preferring a "real" DSLR or my call phone in a pinch.
The Poetic case does seem to protect the unit about a well as you could expect and looks reasonably nice.
A one fold, less bulky case that I bought for the TF700T (without dock) is in some ways better (except for no dock) and the following issues: Because the charger connection is on the bottom of the tablet, to use it in the case while charging, you have to flip the screen upside down - this "works" but the off/on button is then on the bottom and inconvenient. Also, it is not that easy to get out of the case.
Although the original manufacturers would charge you considerably more (most likely) for a case, I would prefer that there is at least one "integrated into the design" case option.
Last edited by SteveConley; 22nd December 2014 at 11:46 AM.
23rd December 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #38  
Flag Marietta, GA

5 posts
More
ending my testing - all is good on battery life.
Quote:

>>> I have a 2014.03 TF701T bought only 2 months ago. I had rooted and applied CM11 and tried 3 nightlies. My battery use was TERRIBLE ... I finally found the forum mentioned here last night about 9pm (not normally up at 2am, berndblb ! - but thanks for replying here ALSO too).
I RENAMED the two "so" files to xxx.so_bad in the two folders:
/system/vendor/lib/drm
/system/vendor/lib/mediadrm
Previously, leaving it in NO WIFI, NO GPS, mode and asleep over night, left BOTH batteries nearly drained.
Almost all "battery drain" showed to be AndroidOS.
After the fix, same EXACT conditions, both batteries show 100% this morning !
I am proceeding to turn back on the WIFI and repeat - but it looks like this is solved except for breaking what ever those files were doing.
I will only post back if I see an issue with this fix.
Thanks guys - I had spent 3 or 4 days on this over the last month and was very disappointed. I am now elated - because I really do like the hardware.

A bit off topic - but had also bought a Poetic "leatherette" three piece folding "portfolio" to kept and protect the unit in while traveling. It is built for the DOCK also which is why I am mentioning it.
It seems a nice "idea" - but it is QUITE bulky because of the three folds and initially I thought it was the cause of the problem with disconnecting from the dock - but later found it was not.
The other problem is that the "good" camera is completely blocked - although I really never use a camera on a tablet - preferring a "real" DSLR or my call phone in a pinch.
The Poetic case does seem to protect the unit about a well as you could expect and looks reasonably nice.
A one fold, less bulky case that I bought for the TF700T (without dock) is in some ways better (except for no dock) and the following issues: Because the charger connection is on the bottom of the tablet, to use it in the case while charging, you have to flip the screen upside down - this "works" but the off/on button is then on the bottom and inconvenient. Also, it is not that easy to get out of the case.
Although the original manufacturers would charge you considerably more (most likely) for a case, I would prefer that there is at least one "integrated into the design" case option.

>>> Update:

I started gmail, started skype. made sure I did something with both. Sync is on. I closed the lid. Just checked, 18h 47m on battery and one battery is 96% and the other 100%. That's more like it !

67% Tablet Idle, 28% Screen, 6% wifi on battery page.
App ops shows: Android System running, clock running, Google Play Services used wifi scan 21,32 times, News and weather used location 227 times, Skype read contacts 6,305 times, Calendar read 6201 times, Google Voice 1767 times, so it has not been idle.

I AM running Greenify - which probably helps also.
23rd December 2014, 10:22 AM   |  #39  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

91 posts
Quote:

>>> Update:

I started gmail, started skype. made sure I did something with both. Sync is on. I closed the lid. Just checked, 18h 47m on battery and one battery is 96% and the other 100%. That's more like it !

67% Tablet Idle, 28% Screen, 6% wifi on battery page.
App ops shows: Android System running, clock running, Google Play Services used wifi scan 21,32 times, News and weather used location 227 times, Skype read contacts 6,305 times, Calendar read 6201 times, Google Voice 1767 times, so it has not been idle.

I AM running Greenify - which probably helps also.

Thanks for the info on your dock. It's probably best to keep the battery life discussion in another thread rather than hidden away in this one.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread