FORUMS

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

stock rom to able update ota, for m7 unlocked

58 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By ahmed blue, Member on 29th June 2014, 04:14 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
25th December 2014, 12:30 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

I use a USB-OTG flash drive, they work really well with the One
TWRP lets you choose where you want to backup / restore

just click where it says internal storage xxxmb and choose the usb-otg ...it's easy to do what you want when the files are safe on the flash drive

Here's the ones I use >> http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-16GB-...3&keywords=OTG

Silly me, I was under the impression that it was possible to do a nandroid backup with locked/unlocked bootloader, no root and no custom recovery.

If that's the case, then I am better off flashing TWRP within seconds, rebooting to bootloader, taking the nandroid back up on TWRP, transferring the backup to the laptop, google drive and keeping one on the internal storage then flashing reflashing the stock recovery.

Would this process be simpler and cost effective?

I was able to install multiple OTAs with my unlocked bootloader (S-OFF version, not HTCDev), I can easily reflash stock recovery, nandroid backup will restore 100% stock rom and kernel. The only factor I see that could affect OTAs would be root. Do you think I am now future-proof in terms of OTA updates? That is the only reason why I went through this arduous process, it was to ensure that I can modify my system how I please but when an update arrives, I could just restore stock rom and kernel from nandroid, reflash stock recovery and update then modify away.

25th December 2014, 12:45 AM |#32  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,865

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bread

Silly me, I was under the impression that it was possible to do a nandroid backup with locked/unlocked bootloader, no root and no custom recovery.

If that's the case, then I am better off flashing TWRP within seconds, rebooting to bootloader, taking the nandroid back up on TWRP, transferring the backup to the laptop, google drive and keeping one on the internal storage then flashing reflashing the stock recovery.

Would this process be simpler and cost effective?

I was able to install multiple OTAs with my unlocked bootloader (S-OFF version, not HTCDev), I can easily reflash stock recovery, nandroid backup will restore 100% stock rom and kernel. The only factor I see that could affect OTAs would be root. Do you think I am now future-proof in terms of OTA updates? That is the only reason why I went through this arduous process, it was to ensure that I can modify my system how I please but when an update arrives, I could just restore stock rom and kernel from nandroid, reflash stock recovery and update then modify away.

Root is ok too as long as you don't change system files with the root privilege

you got it, you have a really good handle on what you want and how to do it... your well on your way

I like the OTG drives because of their portability and the ease of use .. I'm not copying files to and from the pc all the time
Last edited by clsA; 25th December 2014 at 12:47 AM.
25th December 2014, 12:59 AM |#33  

More
Quote:

Root is ok too as long as you don't change system files with the root privilege

you got it, you have a really good handle on what you want and how to do it... your well on your way

I like the OTG drives because of their portability and the ease of use .. I'm not copying files to and from the pc all the time

Thank you for the confirmation, I have tried to extract the recovery from the RUU you gave me earlier but when I open the ROM.zip in the temporary folder, it doesn't have the recovery.

RUU ROM.zip

Any suggestions on how I could obtain the recovery so I can do nandroid backup, and be done with this entire process.
25th December 2014, 01:00 AM |#34  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,865

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bread

Thank you for the confirmation, I have tried to extract the recovery from the RUU you gave me earlier but when I open the ROM.zip in the temporary folder, it doesn't have the recovery.

RUU ROM.zip

Any suggestions on how I could obtain the recovery so I can do nandroid backup, and be done with this entire process.

extract it from the firmware.zip not the RUU
The rom.zip is encrypted .. you need the decrypted RUU to change files
Theirs also this that does all the work for you
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358545524
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358543706

Quote:

Stock ROM – Guru Reset Downloads

I have started to construct some stock ROM zip files that can be flashed in recovery (CWM/TWRP) to install the HTC One stock ROM for many different versions of the phone. You can also choose to install the stock Radio and also the stock Recovery. The part about the stock recovery is important, because if you want to get OTA updates you will need the stock recovery.

Remember in order to be able to flash a recovery (stock or otherwise) your bootloader needs to be unlocked.So if you want to flash the stock recovery during the install you will need to make sure to have a unlocked bootloader.

If you are using the correct version for your phone, accepting an OTA update is one way of upgrading your firmware if you are S-On. After the OTA update you can go back to flashing custom ROM’s if you wish and then you will be running on the current firmware for your device.

And Merry Christmas ...enjoy the holiday
Last edited by clsA; 25th December 2014 at 01:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th December 2014, 01:28 AM |#35  

More
Quote:

extract it from the firmware.zip not the RUU
The rom.zip is encrypted .. you need the decrypted RUU to change files
Theirs also this that does all the work for you
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358543706
And Merry Christmas ...enjoy the holiday

As always very helpful, I've got the stock recovery, stock rom, stock kernel, knowledge of how to lock/unlock bootloader without wiping data and I am hoping I can root the device without modifying the system files, although I am not sure how to go about doing this, I think I can figure a way.

You have been amazing through out this entire ordeal and have taught me a lot, merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you too.

Make sure you bookmark this thread and check it from time to time, lol. Or i could just pm you if I have any queries.

Many thanks again.

What would you say is the best method for rooting the device without modifying system files which would prevent OTAs? I have been thinking of towelroot or htc one root toolkit. Any other suggestions?
Last edited by Big Bread; 25th December 2014 at 03:06 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread