No registration required

TOWELROOT

OP andu86

12th December 2014, 02:08 PM   |  #91  
Flag Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 240

1,408 posts
More
So basically you first updgrade the whole device (all partitions) with an official release. This is killing root as the system partition is scratched with the new system and so SU is gone. At this point still the KNOX flag should stay intact as all the updated parts are official.

Now comes the cricial part: If you want down-grade the kernel (still to an "official, but vulnerable") - will ODIN allow this to happen - and will the KNOX flag STAY intact afterwards?

After rooting with a vulnerable kernel, must not the update to /system with SU and SU binary happen NOW - before the update to the no-more-vulnerable kernel happens again?

I had blocked the last update of my S4 mini to not drop root and so still I am on the ..NE6 build for Germany. Not that I need that latest update, but if there is a path to keep root and KNOX intact then I would also want to go that way.

So for those who claim the success - is your KNOX still intact (so "0")?
12th December 2014, 02:23 PM   |  #92  
Thanks Meter: 18

130 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbbie

So basically you first updgrade the whole device (all partitions) with an official release. This is killing root as the system partition is scratched with the new system and so SU is gone. At this point still the KNOX flag should stay intact as all the updated parts are official.

Now comes the cricial part: If you want down-grade the kernel (still to an "official, but vulnerable") - will ODIN allow this to happen - and will the KNOX flag STAY intact afterwards?

After rooting with a vulnerable kernel, must not the update to /system with SU and SU binary happen NOW - before the update to the no-more-vulnerable kernel happens again?

I had blocked the last update of my S4 mini to not drop root and so still I am on the ..NE6 build for Germany. Not that I need that latest update, but if there is a path to keep root and KNOX intact then I would also want to go that way.

So for those who claim the success - is your KNOX still intact (so "0")?

Yes, KNOX is intact. You must follow precisely the steps. Downgrade ONLY the kernel, then root with towelroot, but do not install superuser.apk just now, upgrade to your original kernel, install now the superuser and let it do its thing. I did not disable the knox as the superuser asked me. I don't know if I should? Anyway, I have root, knox is intact.

Thanks.
12th December 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #93  
Flag Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 240

1,408 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojocar.andrei

Yes, KNOX is intact. You must follow precisely the steps. Downgrade ONLY the kernel, then root with towelroot, but do not install superuser.apk just now, upgrade to your original kernel, install now the superuser and let it do its thing. I did not disable the knox as the superuser asked me. I don't know if I should? Anyway, I have root, knox is intact.

Thanks.

Ok, maybe I will give it a go this weekend. Just need to understand how the option to get root rights remain if you don't install SU? I mean is not the basic thing to get root the SU binary itself? Or is it that towelroot already installs an SU-binary which later is updated with installing the SuperSU application, which then asks to "update" - not install - the SU binary?

On the process of getting back the vulnerable kernel to start the whole thing: which winrar can extract the official update packages from Samsung? I thought these packages are encrypted and so I had no success in getting the full content that time when it appeared on my device.
12th December 2014, 03:21 PM   |  #94  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 32

138 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbbie

Ok, maybe I will give it a go this weekend. Just need to understand how the option to get root rights remain if you don't install SU? I mean is not the basic thing to get root the SU binary itself? Or is it that towelroot already installs an SU-binary which later is updated with installing the SuperSU application, which then asks to "update" - not install - the SU binary?

On the process of getting back the vulnerable kernel to start the whole thing: which winrar can extract the official update packages from Samsung? I thought these packages are encrypted and so I had no success in getting the full content that time when it appeared on my device.

You can install supersu while you are on the vulnerable kernel, there is no problem with that, disable knox when supersu asks you and it wont trigger knox, it will stay 0x0. I did it every time i installed a new firmware..

Afterwards you can put back the kernel that your firmware had.

There is a topic created by me with kernels for i9195 and i9192, you can grab from there an old kernel with vulnerabilities and a new kernel.

you can find the topic here [INDEX] Official Stock KERNEL collection for Galaxy S4 Mini
The Following User Says Thank You to andu86 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th December 2014, 07:31 AM   |  #95  
Thanks Meter: 18

130 posts
Hi guys, I have rooted the phone with towelroot successfully without tripping knox. I'm on cnk1 kk basebank. I think I'm going to install philz recovery so to be able to install carbon rom. I know it will trip knox. The question is: what's the procedure. Do I install the recovery through odin and that's it. I can then boot on my current kk stock system after this or do I need to flash again kernel or something ...? I still want the stock to be functional just in case... Thanks
21st December 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #96  
Thanks Meter: 512

698 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojocar.andrei

Hi guys, I have rooted the phone with towelroot successfully without tripping knox. I'm on cnk1 kk basebank. I think I'm going to install philz recovery so to be able to install carbon rom. I know it will trip knox. The question is: what's the procedure. Do I install the recovery through odin and that's it. I can then boot on my current kk stock system after this or do I need to flash again kernel or something ...? I still want the stock to be functional just in case... Thanks

1a. BEFORE everything you should copy your desired flashable rom zip file (carbonrom.zip) to your phone.
1b. to make things easy create folder 'clockworkmod' and subfolder 'multi_flash' and THERE you can put all your zips you want to flash at once.
2. flash PhilZ with odin
3. reboot into recovery, I recommend to make your settings to configure PhilZ first and then
4. choose PhilZ option 'install new rom' (which formats system, data, cache+dalvik)
4. flash carbonrom (PhilZ option 'install zip' or choose 'install multiple zip' if you want to flash i.e. gapps too which is highly recommended - beware that you have all those zips you want to flash at once in that above mentioned folder multi_flash. To avoid to flash in alphabetical order simply rename the zips with a beginning number, i.e. carbonrom.zip to 01-carbonrom.zip, gapps.zip to 02-gapps.zip, etc.)
5. wipe dalvik+cache (might be only a safety rule .to avoid any issues)
6. reboot.
7. enjoy !

ah .... if you want to return to stock simply flash stockrom via odin.
Last edited by XDAMaxe; 21st December 2014 at 03:55 PM.
22nd December 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #97  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi all,
I'm getting "device isn't currently supported" message from towelROOT even after trying the 3 mod strings. My phone is running all stock and is sim unlocked and the kernal is before June 2014 too, so I'm not sure what is going on, any help would be fab.
Gt-i9195 - model
4.2.2 - android version
I9195XXUBML4 - baseband
3.4.0-2340422 se.infra@SEP-65 #1 Dec 21 2013 - kernal

Many thanks.
22nd December 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #98  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucharest

138 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulc

Hi all,
I'm getting "device isn't currently supported" message from towelROOT even after trying the 3 mod strings. My phone is running all stock and is sim unlocked and the kernal is before June 2014 too, so I'm not sure what is going on, any help would be fab.
Gt-i9195 - model
4.2.2 - android version
I9195XXUBML4 - baseband
3.4.0-2340422 se.infra@SEP-65 #1 Dec 21 2013 - kernal

Many thanks.

it works only on 4.4.2 firmware
25th December 2014, 04:55 PM   |  #99  
Thanks Meter: 21

341 posts
I don't get it. I'm new to this stuff, can anyone help?
http://imgur.com/9xoDzYK
Where do I go from here? What do I do to root my phone? I just want to root it to remove apps that I don't use and release ram. Maybe use a few apps that need root like greenify and block ads if possible. Kernel date is Nov 3.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using XDA Free mobile app
Last edited by OverdiveKill; 25th December 2014 at 05:15 PM.
26th December 2014, 01:13 PM   |  #100  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucharest

138 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverdiveKill

I don't get it. I'm new to this stuff, can anyone help?
http://imgur.com/9xoDzYK
Where do I go from here? What do I do to root my phone? I just want to root it to remove apps that I don't use and release ram. Maybe use a few apps that need root like greenify and block ads if possible. Kernel date is Nov 3.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using XDA Free mobile app

please follow the steps from 1st post

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread