Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[PHOTOS] ISOCELL camera discussion - my review is up!

OP BoneXDA

12th December 2014, 03:49 AM   |  #701  
Thanks Meter: 174

562 posts
I wish the Note 4 had phase detection auto focus. That is one advantage of the Isocell sensor
12th December 2014, 07:55 AM   |  #702  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 486

1,808 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1k

I wish the Note 4 had phase detection auto focus. That is one advantage of the Isocell sensor

Phase Detection is not a feature solely reserved to Samsung's ISOCELL sensor. The iPhone 6 Plus has phase detect auto focus and I'm pretty certain the Note 4 also has phase detect auto focus. It is noticeably quicker to take a shot than the S5 in certain scenarios and equally as fast in others.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
12th December 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #703  
Thanks Meter: 7

18 posts
More
I have tested today my G901F (sony exmor RS IMX-240) side by side with a G900F (Samsung Isocell) and working with both simultaneously the G901F is a bit faster (focus)in low light and almost the same as G900F in good lighting conditions.

edit: no idea if this happens because the IMX-240 also have phase detection or because of other parameters inside the sensor though...
Yesterday, 09:43 PM   |  #704  
Thanks Meter: 1

34 posts
How about video recording under good and low light conditions? What's your opinion there?

I am a bit confused looking at those samples. From what I can tell, the IMX240 outshines the ISOCELL in both good and low light. But stange thing is that the S5 sample seems slightly inferior even compared to its own twin brother (S5 Active) which hosts the very same sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavic6

The sensor in the Note 4 is an improvement over the sensor in the S5.

It handles higher ISO values much better and improves low light capabilities all while maintaining the same great dynamic range found in the ISOCELL sensor.

There is a reason Samsung decided to opt for the Sony sensor vs. It's own in house sensor.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsweetness

Yep. Having owned both, the Note 4 takes better pictures more often, particularly in low light. The OIS really helps out there but the Sony sensor does as well.

The S5 is certainly no slouch though. It takes tremendous shots.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread