[Q] Sprint Note 2 (SPH-L900) Bricked after attempted 4.3 Update

Search This thread

scorpion19

Apr 27, 2009
still getting stuck

my odin is still failing at sboot.bin i have tried everything all the different recovery roms the one that went completely thru was the 4.3 unbrick but the is still staying at the samsung screen won't go any further i have been reading for a few days and tried several things but nothing worked when i hook it up to my pc and boot the phone normally it loads all the drivers properly but the mtp driver oh by the way this phone i have gotten from someone else so i'm not sure what they did before me it has never booted completely since i had it please any help would be appreciated

huseki

Oct 3, 2013
I had a similar problem and got it sorted out over the weekend

Hi guy,
I had a similar scenario and was terribly worried. Here is a run down of how i overcame it. Numerous flashing with Stock rom would fail at the stage of installing the sboot.bin file(BOOTLOADER) both in Odin and heimdall in linux. There was someone who provided links to 4.3_unbrick.tar but that file also failed to work. It appears incomplete since it cannot even be extracted tar command for usage with heimdall. Winrar can also not extract it. I used it in Odin but was useless and the computer would just stall at flashing cache.img.
Keenly follow the steps below.
I downloaded Kies software from Samsung.com and installed it. I went to tools and did a firmware recovery and Upgrade. This takes some time since the file downloaded by Kies is close to 1GB.
I went through the prompts and then the phone rebooted in Android 4.3 Stock rom.
I then rooted this using "Saferoot.zip" file. This is easy and the tutorials are available. Just google it up. You don't have to switch off the phone. Android 4.3 CANNOT be rooted using the old technique of Odin and flashing the CF-Auto-Root-t0ltespr-t0ltespr-sphl900.tar.md5. Please don't try it as it will be a waste of time with a risk of bricking the phone again.
After rooting Android 4.3, i was able to flash TWRP using Odin or heimdall in linux. Use whatever you prefer.
I started in TWRP and flashed with JellyBomb ROM ver 21.zip file
On booting up Jelly Bomb, i installed Mobile Odin pro.apk.
You have to enable USB debugging and installation of software from unfamiliar sources
I then put a stock ROM md5 image (version 4.1.2) on SDHC memory card and started up Mobile Odin pro.apk.
You can check out google sources of how to run Mobile odin if you are unsure but it is quite easy
Go through the prompts and flash with the old version(Selected file of Stock rom ver 4.1.2)
The phone will restart and you can then root it through the old Odin way or using heimdall in linux.
You can now install triangle away to reset the counters.
Get in touch with me in case of any clarifications.
Cheers,
Huseki.

Last edited:

KrizM808

Jun 14, 2014
Mission
Nothing works!!!

1. My phone won't boot, stays on the samsung note II screen.
2. I can't access TWRP even after a fresh flash
3. My phone is not recognized by KIES
4. I have tried flashing (L900VPUBMK4_L900SPTBMK4_HOME.tar), and odin fails everytime.

* Download mode is the only thing that works*

I work in the oil fields and have to leave in 3 days for a 14 day hitch and don't want to leave with a bricked phone. I need to phone my family from time to time.

I need help getting my phone back a working state. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:crying:

KrizM808

Jun 14, 2014
Mission
? I click on the link in my post, and it takes me to the thread with jlmancuso's fix.tar (page 29/post 289)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

oh ok I see what you mean... I see the fix.tar on post #287. I am already flashing an older stock rom ne2 and it looks like my sph-l900 is taking it fine. I will keep things posted

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

I thought I was flashing an older stock rom *NE2* :cyclops: but it turns out it was the kitkat stock rom for my sph-l900. I grabbed from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2780984

Odin successfully flashed it on my device and I was able to get it to boot up.

Since I was rooted on 4.3 JB, and I accidentally accepted the OTA 4.4 update, it threw my phone into wack mode. After that it did not allow me to flash older stock roms. Thanks to everyone who helped me get my phone back in to a working state!!!!!!!!!!!:good::laugh:

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Have you tried this? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53373207

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your post, it helped me unbrick my phone, I was to the point of shi**ing bricks already!

Reactions: k3v0 and g_money

D3haze

Jun 24, 2014
Bricked because of 4.4 update

Hi guys, I didn't know where else to go but I've ended up here on my search to unbrick my Galaxy Note 2 sph-l900. My phone has been bricked for almost 2 weeks now ever since the new update to 4.4 kitkat from Sprint. My phone is rooted and I usually update with no problems, the worst I've ever gotten from it is having to root again. Unfortunately my phone got soft bricked, specifically a boot loop. I tried to read threads and fix it myself as much as possible but now I'm stuck. Forgive me for I don't remember in fine detail the steps I took but they go as follows...

1) At first I tried going into recovery mode and factory resetting, including wiping the cache partition. Didn't work at all.

2) Tried flashing a ROM and then it fixed it but now I was stuck on that "firmware upgrade encountered an issue" screen when I boot. I tried using kies like it advised however the software wouldn't even recognize my phone. Then I tried flashing again however Odin fails at sboot.bin. I read that flashing a recovery.img (MK4) could possibly fix it so I took my chances.

3) Next I believe I tried flashing a stock ROM again ( L900VPUBMK4_L900SPTBMK4_HOME.tar.md5 ) but Odin keeps failing at this point...

<ID:0/007> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> L900VPUBMK4_L900SPTBMK4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/007> sboot.bin
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL!
<ID:0/007>
<ID:0/007> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

....Now when I turn my phone on it boots up until the screen that says "Samsung Galaxy Note 2" and then it goes black

Noteworthy:

• I've tried Odin versions 3.09, 3.07, 1.85 & 1.3
  • I've tried all USB ports (2.0)
  • I've tried two USB cables

The things I've read in this thread seems promising but I'm hesitant to try them because they revolve around 4.3 so I thought I'd ask. Again sorry for the poor background information. Help is much appreciated.

g_money

Mar 27, 2013
Did you try flashing the ne2 tar (assuming you're on sprint)?

Dec 4, 2012
Hi guys, I didn't know where else to go but I've ended up here on my search to unbrick my Galaxy Note 2 sph-l900. My phone has been bricked for almost 2 weeks now ever since the new update to 4.4 kitkat from Sprint. My phone is rooted and I usually update with no problems, the worst I've ever gotten from it is having to root again. Unfortunately my phone got soft bricked, specifically a boot loop. I tried to read threads and fix it myself as much as possible but now I'm stuck. Forgive me for I don't remember in fine detail the steps I took but they go as follows...

1) At first I tried going into recovery mode and factory resetting, including wiping the cache partition. Didn't work at all.

2) Tried flashing a ROM and then it fixed it but now I was stuck on that "firmware upgrade encountered an issue" screen when I boot. I tried using kies like it advised however the software wouldn't even recognize my phone. Then I tried flashing again however Odin fails at sboot.bin. I read that flashing a recovery.img (MK4) could possibly fix it so I took my chances.

3) Next I believe I tried flashing a stock ROM again ( L900VPUBMK4_L900SPTBMK4_HOME.tar.md5 ) but Odin keeps failing at this point...

<ID:0/007> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> L900VPUBMK4_L900SPTBMK4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/007> sboot.bin
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> FAIL!
<ID:0/007>
<ID:0/007> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

....Now when I turn my phone on it boots up until the screen that says "Samsung Galaxy Note 2" and then it goes black

Noteworthy:

• I've tried Odin versions 3.09, 3.07, 1.85 & 1.3
  • I've tried all USB ports (2.0)
  • I've tried two USB cables

The things I've read in this thread seems promising but I'm hesitant to try them because they revolve around 4.3 so I thought I'd ask. Again sorry for the poor background information. Help is much appreciated.

Did you ever get through?

I am in the exact same boat. Bricked after my dear wife accepted the OTA 4.4 update on rooted phone. Tried everything you mention and I am yet to successfully even boot to recovery.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
If it fails on aboot or sboot YOURE USING THE WRONG FIRMWARE!!! Samsung devices use a secured bootloader so you CAN NOT use a previous version firmware (downgrade). You can ONLY use the current firmware build or upgrade.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

Darkangels6sic6

Feb 3, 2011
Hi guy,
I had a similar scenario and was terribly worried. Here is a run down of how i overcame it. Numerous flashing with Stock rom would fail at the stage of installing the sboot.bin file(BOOTLOADER) both in Odin and heimdall in linux. There was someone who provided links to 4.3_unbrick.tar but that file also failed to work. It appears incomplete since it cannot even be extracted tar command for usage with heimdall. Winrar can also not extract it. I used it in Odin but was useless and the computer would just stall at flashing cache.img.
Keenly follow the steps below.
I downloaded Kies software from Samsung.com and installed it. I went to tools and did a firmware recovery and Upgrade. This takes some time since the file downloaded by Kies is close to 1GB.
I went through the prompts and then the phone rebooted in Android 4.3 Stock rom.
I then rooted this using "Saferoot.zip" file. This is easy and the tutorials are available. Just google it up. You don't have to switch off the phone. Android 4.3 CANNOT be rooted using the old technique of Odin and flashing the CF-Auto-Root-t0ltespr-t0ltespr-sphl900.tar.md5. Please don't try it as it will be a waste of time with a risk of bricking the phone again.
After rooting Android 4.3, i was able to flash TWRP using Odin or heimdall in linux. Use whatever you prefer.
I started in TWRP and flashed with JellyBomb ROM ver 21.zip file
On booting up Jelly Bomb, i installed Mobile Odin pro.apk.
You have to enable USB debugging and installation of software from unfamiliar sources
I then put a stock ROM md5 image (version 4.1.2) on SDHC memory card and started up Mobile Odin pro.apk.
You can check out google sources of how to run Mobile odin if you are unsure but it is quite easy
Go through the prompts and flash with the old version(Selected file of Stock rom ver 4.1.2)
The phone will restart and you can then root it through the old Odin way or using heimdall in linux.
You can now install triangle away to reset the counters.
Get in touch with me in case of any clarifications.
Cheers,
Huseki.

Glad to hear that Kies is actually capable of helping. Like most I got the 4.3 ota soft brick. Stuck at splash screen. I didn't think to uncheck reboot on Odin when flashing the recoveries or pull it off fast enough. It had already rebooted every time I tried.
Then I came here and got the unbrick tar....that failed at sboot. Can't leave it on USB forever and I have very limited resources of computer and Internet so now stuck at a screen that says something along the lines of flailed and and to connect to kies. No download mode or anything. Apparently I did it wrong and I still have download mode. Going to a pc soon. I hope it works.

Now hopefully when I get back to my computer it will play nice without any driver issues causing a lock up when I try to attach my Note and the kyocera Milano I'm having to use as my wifi dongle. And then hopefully straight talk figures out what they are doing after almost two weeks and gets the thing activated which is the main reason I'm going through this now...... :eek:

Last edited:

Darkangels6sic6

Feb 3, 2011
Well could not get kies to recognize my phone.
I tried the recovery install over and over and over probably 50 times and it would sit at the splash screen.
All roms failed. The 4.3 mk4 modified with no sboot flashed, but still got stuck on the splash screen and I could not open recovery.

I found a link to a thread on one of these pages a about the brick.

FIXED! In order to get kies to recognize the phone and recover it you need to go to "tools", "firmware update", type in your model number with all caps "SPH-L900" for us of course, then hit OK, then put in your meid, then hit ok.
Then it will take you through the accepting stuff, tell you to put the phone in download mode, and you wait. Then boom. Fly updated fixed phone.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the fix https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2clvyo4y6gar6s/4.3_Unbrick.tar
    I promise this will fix your issue, but when you get done, you will be on MC2 with the 4.3 bootloader, but, it will boot, let you flash recovery and everything. I know this because I did the same thing as you and flashed the old cf-auto root and bricked my phone to, and I created this file to fix it and if you look in the help section, you will find my thread on how to unbrick after 4.3 update fail.
    I promise though, this will fix your fone
    Does anyone have the unbrick.tar file all dropbox links are dead.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7viivd985s7cp8l L900 MK4 build. Flash in Odin 3.07 or 3.09.

Sent from my SPH-L900. Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out!
    anyone have the files? i went to the link but it said it was empty. I believe i'm having the same problem with the bricked phone

gdub225 I just check and the file is still there on the dropbox link. I had to take it out of my post because I haven't posted a lot here but look for Keithgordon's post with the dropbox link. The file is 4.3 GB so it will take a while but if you are desperate this will save your possibly bricked phone![/QUOTE]

Here is a better link:http://myfavoritecontractors.com/4.3_Unbrick.tar
    Here is the fix https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2clvyo4y6gar6s/4.3_Unbrick.tar
    I promise this will fix your issue, but when you get done, you will be on MC2 with the 4.3 bootloader, but, it will boot, let you flash recovery and everything. I know this because I did the same thing as you and flashed the old cf-auto root and bricked my phone to, and I created this file to fix it and if you look in the help section, you will find my thread on how to unbrick after 4.3 update fail.
    I promise though, this will fix your fone

...My God..... What ever you did, it worked. Turns out, Caboomi's file didn't work too well. I couldn't get CWMR working at all even after converting to .tar. I used TWRP instead and it works. Problem was that it asked me for my password, which I don't know since I tried everything, so I had to resort to wiping everything. I installed the file jlmancuso suggested, loading it onto SD card then flashing using TWRP, and now my Samsung Note 2 is debricked.

Your file was a godsend. Thank you!
    ? I click on the link in my post, and it takes me to the thread with jlmancuso's fix.tar (page 29/post 289)

oh ok I see what you mean... I see the fix.tar on post #287. I am already flashing an older stock rom ne2 and it looks like my sph-l900 is taking it fine. I will keep things posted

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

I thought I was flashing an older stock rom *NE2* :cyclops: but it turns out it was the kitkat stock rom for my sph-l900. I grabbed from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2780984

Odin successfully flashed it on my device and I was able to get it to boot up.

Since I was rooted on 4.3 JB, and I accidentally accepted the OTA 4.4 update, it threw my phone into wack mode. After that it did not allow me to flash older stock roms. Thanks to everyone who helped me get my phone back in to a working state!!!!!!!!!!!:good::laugh:

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Have you tried this? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53373207

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your post, it helped me unbrick my phone, I was to the point of shi**ing bricks already!