[Guide][ARM now supported] Android development/debugging on ChromeOS - ADB & fastboot

Search This thread

vanillaflavor

Feb 15, 2014
NYC
Hello!

A while back I made a script for Mac and Linux that automatically installs ADB and Fastboot, and I just added support for Chrome OS using the binaries in the main post. Basically just run this in the Chrome terminal, enter the system password when asked, and it will do the rest for you:

Code:
bash <(curl https://raw.github.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/master/install.sh)

The script also detects if your system is running Intel or ARM Chrome OS, and installs the binaries for the host platform. You can look at the source code at the GitHub project here. I've only tested my script on Chromium OS, if anyone with an actual Chromebook could try it out, it would be great.

Hello, I ran your code but when I try to run ADB, all I get is /sbin/adb: cannot execute binary file
I've managed to get root access and everything but now it just keeps giving me that

gustavo_pr

Feb 12, 2011
Has anyone successfully installed adb and fastboot on a c720 Acer?

Have tried multiple times, but can't get past this:

localhost / # mount -o remount,rw /
mount: cannot remount /dev/ROOT read-write, is write-protected

Any ideas? Thanks

91ludesit

Jun 14, 2009
Has anyone successfully installed adb and fastboot on a c720 Acer?

Have tried multiple times, but can't get past this:

localhost / # mount -o remount,rw /
mount: cannot remount /dev/ROOT read-write, is write-protected

Any ideas? Thanks

I was never able to get it to work, even with the install script. ADB&FASTBOOT are there and executable but I get a no such file or directory error when trying to run them. My guess is one of the libraries they depend on was removed in a recent version of chrome os.

Langduscher

Jan 30, 2012
Texel
It would be useful if you gave error messages

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

After [mout -o remount,rw /] I get only root can use "--options" option

I then tried "sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --force --remove_rootfs_verification" & "sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification --partitions 2"

But this is where it stops for me.

Last edited:

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
After [mout -o remount,rw /] I get only root can use "--options" option

I then tried "sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --force --remove_rootfs_verification" & "sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification --partitions 2"

But this is where it stops for me.

Try "sudo su"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Langduscher

ajislav

Apr 1, 2011
Crouton

Hi,
just wanted to confirm the ADB for x86 works on acer 720 with crouton. In addition to having installed crouton (trusty), I did the following steps:
0) enter chroot (ctrl+alt+t to start crosh, shell, sudo enter-chroot)
1) copy adb to /sbin/adb per OP and make it executable (chmod +x)
2) install some missing packages (sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6 lib32ncurses5 )
Regards
ajislav

Reactions: The Gingerbread Man

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
trying this on my acer c720 i3. I seem to be stumbling at the first hurdle of logging into the chrome os developer console requiring the password and username. Iv no idea what either of these are and tried my Google ones which failed, tried chronos and no password. If someone would be so kind to point me in the direction where i might find these... Thanks

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
I resolved the developer console login by doing a powerwash, it now works. How ever i cant get past a write protection while entering

mount -o remount remount,rw /

82f62de894e293049d4f6044215446d0.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2014
So i got root accsess i entered the command "cp /home/chronos/user/Downloads/adb / sbin/adb" and it told me it couldnt "create regular file" and that its a read only file system. Can someone explain wth this means in newb language and what i could try instead?

Attachments

• IMG_20141105_000705.jpg
    IMG_20141105_000705.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 432

Langduscher

Jan 30, 2012
Texel
Tried it again with crouton - and I think Im getting close this time :D

When executing ADB or FASTBOOT I get this returned:

"bash /usr/bin/fastboot: cannot execute binary file"

Any way to help me get any further? Many thanks :cowboy:

edit:

I got adb + fastboot working - but I did it manually. Because Christmas, I'll post how I did it later.

Last edited:

Langduscher

Jan 30, 2012
Texel
Here's How I got it to work using Crouton (xfce): I issued the following commands in terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phablet-team/tools && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot

If it doesn't work, type

Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server

It should work then :good:

Gemisheresy

Jan 25, 2015
when i try to mount i get this error

sudo mount -o remount,rw /
mount: cannot remount /dev/dm-0 read-write, is write-protected

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide][ARM now supported] Android development/debugging on ChromeOS - ADB & fastboot

What you need to know before we begin:
    ChromeOS (Or Chromium OS if you installed it on a non-chromebook) is based on Unix, and you can access a terminal with button combinations. This part of the guide is easy, but if I can get apt-get working, that's where it gets really complex.

What you'll need
    A computer running ChromeOS/Chromium OS
    An internet connection on it, or the files on a USB drive (and you to copy them to Downloads)
    A little Linux knowledge
    Some patience

1.) Download the correct files for system:
    ChromeOS/ChromiumOS on an x86 based PC
    ChromeOS on an ARM based PC
    2.) When the zip has downloaded, extract it so both the adb and fastboot files are in the Downloads folder
    3.) It's now time to access the terminal mode. It might be a good idea to get this guide on a phone or some other device so you don't have to switch out at any time.
    If you're using a chromebook or an official chromeOS build, you need to access developer mode. Note: this will wipe all your data for security reasons. Full info is here: Chromium Project: Developer mode
    4.) Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 on your keyboard, and the whole screen will be a terminal. Read the info at the top, and then login
    NOTE: If you're using Chromium OS vanilla builds, the username and password are as follows:
    Code:
    User: chronos
    Pass: facepunch
    5.) You now have a localhost terminal, with no root permissions.
    6.) Run this code, to locate the location of your Downloads folder:
    Code:
    ls /home
    7.) Mount the filesystem as follows:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    8.) Using the name other than "root" and "user", run these commands:
    Code:
    cp /home/<name>/user/Downloads/adb /sbin/adb
    For example, the Chromium one would be:
    Code:
    cp /home/chronos/user/Downloads/adb /sbin/adb
    Repeat for Fastboot (replace "adb" with "fastboot" without the quotes)
    9.) Test that it has worked by running:
    Code:
    adb
    It should result in adb working
    10.) You're done, adb and fastboot should work. You might need to reboot in some cases for it to work fully
    11.) For more stuff, like Java and ant, wait a while until I work out how to get apt-get installed from dpkg

Credits:
    Thanks to KMyers for compiling Fastboot for ARM devices, thread here
    Here's How I got it to work using Crouton (xfce): I issued the following commands in terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
    sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phablet-team/tools && sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot

If it doesn't work, type

Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb start-server

It should work then :good:
    I was able to install adb and fastboot on acer c720 in developer mode by doing something like
    - rootfs verification removal
    - reboot
    - remount / as rw
    - install nexus tools http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2564453 which installs into /usr/local/bin/
    Here is and adb that works the one in the zip doesn't

also run this so the partition is remountable

sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification
    Unfortunately I'm using the ADB ARM build from this forum, which is out of date since no one has updated the binary. I'm trying to update it.

Edit: I'm going to try taking the ADB binary from the Debian repository and see if it works on ARM Chromebooks.
    Have you tried pulling adb from an Android build? That's a new, ARM ADB binary, I'll see if I can get one