Convert Netbook Keyboard to USB Keyboard

Search This thread

NickBurns2006

Mar 22, 2008
I've got a netbook that decided to pack its bags and tell me what for... Does anyone even know if it's possible to modify the connection (it's one of those laptop ribbon cables) to a USB connection that I could plug into my gTab?

I'm not squimish, and I can probably figure this out on my own, I'm just wondering if anyone has experience or done this before.

FYI, it's an Gateway LT 1004u

Thanks

roguey

May 24, 2010
converting the matrix would be to hard in a way.

unless the keyboard is native usb already ,

Nov 30, 2014
Glasgow
So sorry to reply to such an old post, but I may have come up with a solution.
I have yet to try this, as I don't have the parts necessary, but i am planning on giving it a go some time.

You will need:
The circuit from a USB keyboard (make sure you have the silicone cap that holds the ribbon cable in place)
Old laptop / netbook keyboard
(If required) an adapter to connect the ribbon cable (the pins on the keyboard will usually be the same amount as there is on the circuit, the ribbon cable is just really small)

1. (If required) attach the ribbon cable adapter to the ribbon cable of the keyboard.
2. Line up the pins of the ribbon cable with the keyboard circuit.
3. Place the silicone cap over the ribbon cable and pop it into place.
4. Plug in the keyboard to a USB slot on your computer and test if all the buttons work.
5. If some of the keys are wrong, use a program to rebind them (I don't know of any such program but I'm sure one exists)