Want To Post In Development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

diimentio

May 27, 2014
I have ten posts and I still can't post in development. It's been about ten minutes since I made my tenth post. Is there something else I need to do?

Richness

Nov 3, 2013
This is going to be my 10th post, so I just wanted to thank all the developers here for their time and effort in created these threads and app development. Developers- you da real MVP

CodzKilla415

Jun 2, 2014
San Francisco
I definately wasn't going to ignore this posts as i have less than 10 posts. But this is usefull so that a bunch of angry kids that bricked their phones won't go on a spam rampage to get their issue solved in minutes. This is actually very useful

Reactions: Product F(RED)

alok932

Dec 17, 2013
Mumbai
yes this is just what i wanted.
But their are some Threads in development forum where i can post reply, what does that mean? I have not yet reached 10 posts. And Second, How can i check my no of posts?

N

NOOK!E

There are some threads in Development forum where i can post reply, what does that mean? I have not yet reached 10 posts.

The OPs of dev threads have the option to allow newcomers with less than 10 posts to post in their thread, which is why you can post in some dev threads, but not all.

alok932 said:
How can i check my number of posts?

If you view one of your own posts in a thread using the PC website, you will see a small counter for that purpose under your username and Thanks Meter. For example, this counter looks like this: [Posts: 6] at the moment.

alok932

Dec 17, 2013
Mumbai
The OPs of dev threads have the option to allow newcomers with less than 10 posts to post in their thread, which is why you can post in some dev threads, but not all.

If you view one of your own posts in a thread using the PC website, you will see a small counter for that purpose under your username and Thanks Meter. For example, this counter looks like this: [Posts: 6] at the moment.

Got it. Thank You

r@dioshack

Jun 5, 2016
Im not sure were this falls into play but I have a Android galaxy core prime GT360T and i was following a ROM development that I currently Have installed on multiple devices and than i get "you do not have enough posts to reply to this ect" just because im in the dev form does not mean I am posting unnecessary questions a person has posted a modified kernel and i understand your trying to keep the noob questions at bay but now i cant even reply to the conversation. If you look at my prior posts you will see they are giving feedback on custom roms ect in essence what xda is all about. So maybe I can or cant get permission to post there but none the less im one post closer if this is the kind of jargon you guys want filling up the forum? Makes no sense Look at what you are asking as a requirement than look at what you going to be getting regardless of what mods can weed out.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Im not sure were this falls into play but I have a Android galaxy core prime GT360T and i was following a ROM development that I currently Have installed on multiple devices and than i get "you do not have enough posts to reply to this ect" just because im in the dev form does not mean I am posting unnecessary questions a person has posted a modified kernel and i understand your trying to keep the noob questions at bay but now i cant even reply to the conversation. If you look at my prior posts you will see they are giving feedback on custom roms ect in essence what xda is all about. So maybe I can or cant get permission to post there but none the less im one post closer if this is the kind of jargon you guys want filling up the forum? Makes no sense Look at what you are asking as a requirement than look at what you going to be getting regardless of what mods can weed out.
All you need to do is post in General or Q and A for 10 posts, it's not that hard.
Of Course the 10 post rule was supposedly discontinued months ago

Reactions: r@dioshack

r@dioshack

Jun 5, 2016
All you need to do is post in General or Q and A for 10 posts, it's not that hard.
Of Course the 10 post rule was supposedly discontinued months ago

The interesting thing is I was originally allowed to post in that forum and the only posts I had were complimenting a fellow Modder for contributions to his ROM it runs smoothly, now I am forced to go post in General or Q and A and further clog up the board? When the kernel I want to flash and bugs i want to report on this rom have nothing to do with anything general its device specific.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
The interesting thing is I was originally allowed to post in that forum and the only posts I had were complimenting a fellow Modder for contributions to his ROM it runs smoothly, now I am forced to go post in General or Q and A and further clog up the board? When the kernel I want to flash and bugs i want to report on this rom have nothing to do with anything general its device specific.
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-core-prime/how-to
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-core-prime/help

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

maybe @svetius could comment on current status of the ten post rules
I thought that they were discontinued, could just be a glitch in the matrix.

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Labs

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
If this is a new thread that you want to start, I suggest posting in http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-core-prime/how-to then use report post button and ask that it be moved to Development

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

@KidCarter93 could you make a note:
The 10 post rule was killed in January 2016. Anyone can post replies in development. However to make a new thread in Development you still need to have 50 posts.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: KidCarter93

trigous

Aug 25, 2016
Thanks

Being one of the users this thread is aimed at, I say thank you.
Your tone is friendly and not arrogant, the advice seems helpful and reasonable.

ankurR

Oct 15, 2014
Nice thread thanks

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Trafalgar Square

Jan 7, 2015
Düsseldorf
*While it's nice that you want to thank the developer for their hard work, making a post saying "Thanks" will only fill up the thread with useless posts. To stop this, XDA admins added a Thanks button which you will see at the bottom of every post on this forum (as long as you have made 1 post). If you're using the XDA app, just click on the relevant post and you'll see a few options appear. One of those options is "Thanks".

What will happen if I make 10 useless posts so I can post in development section?
*You will probably have your posts deleted which means it will take you even longer to post what you want.
*You will have other members telling you to make proper posts instead of useless posts.
*You may end up with an warning/infraction. (Of course, this is completely the decision of the moderator dealing with the case.)​
What's the best way for me to make 10 posts?
*As is mentioned a lot when talking about new users, the best way to make your first 10 posts is to go to your device forum and see if you can help some people in the Q&A forum. This is a great thing to do because it means you can help others learn more from you helping them with their questions. You may also gain some Thanks along the way.
*If you can't answer the questions, either because they're too hard OR others answer them too quickly, you go into your devices General forum and get involved in some discussions about your phone. This is a great thing to do because it can teach you some things which you didn't know about your device + you may be able to share what you've learnt which others may not know about. It also gives you a good introduction to your forum and the people you will see there.
*If you can't contribute towards any of the discussions either then you can also have a look around the following forums and see if you can help people in the forums aswell - General, Questions & Answers, Android General and Android Q&A.​
read
Nice thread thanks

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Reactions: ankurR

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
@KidCarter93 could you make a note:
The 10 post rule was killed in January 2016. Anyone can post replies in development. However to make a new thread in Development you still need to have 50 posts.
Thanks

I wasn't aware of this, cheers. I'll update the thread soon accordingly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is aimed at teaching new users the way to be able to post in a development thread WITHOUT spamming or posting rubbish and help you get along better in the development threads.

I know that this thread will probably be ignored by most users who this is aimed at, BUT if it helps teach even a few users then this has been worth it.

**As of January 2016, you no longer need to have 10 posts to be able to post in development threads. To be able to create your own thread in the development forums you will need to have 50 posts though.
    If you have a thread you'd like to post into the development forum but you don't have enough posts, you can create your thread in the General section for your device and then ask a Moderator of that forum to move it into the Development forum for you.**

First, let's look at why new users generally want to be able to post in a development thread ;
    *They think it's the cool place to hangout.
    *They think their question will be answered quicker.
    *They want to say thanks to a developer for the work that they've done.
    *They think their question is important and should be posted in development.

Now, let's explain the truth about the 4 points above ;
    *Development threads are NOT the cool place to hangout. As this is a development forum there's no need to hangout but if you really feel the need to relax and hangout with other members, then participate in some discussions in the General section of your device.
    *Your question will NOT be answered any quicker by posting it in a development thread. If you take a look at every single device forum on XDA, you'll see that the Q&A forum will always have more posts and threads than development forums will.
    *While it's nice that you want to thank the developer for their hard work, making a post saying "Thanks" will only fill up the thread with useless posts. To stop this, XDA admins added a Thanks button which you will see at the bottom of every post on this forum (as long as you have made 1 post). If you're using the XDA app, just click on the relevant post and you'll see a few options appear. One of those options is "Thanks".
    If you think that clicking the Thanks button is not enough then you could always donate to the developer to help them carry on development.
    *While your question may well be important, it still doesn't belong in the development section. You may get flamed if you post your question there as all questions should be posted in the Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting forum. Development is only intended for development.

What's the best way for me to make 50 posts?
    *As is mentioned a lot when talking about new users, the best way to make your first 50 posts is to go to your device forum and see if you can help some people in the Q&A forum. This is a great thing to do because it means you can help others learn more from you helping them with their questions. You may also gain some Thanks along the way.
    *If you can't answer the questions, either because they're too hard OR others answer them too quickly, you go into your devices General forum and get involved in some discussions about your phone. This is a great thing to do because it can teach you some things which you didn't know about your device + you may be able to share what you've learnt which others may not know about. It also gives you a good introduction to your forum and the people you will see there.
    *If you can't contribute towards any of the discussions either then you can also have a look around the following forums and see if you can help people in the forums aswell - General, Questions & Answers, Android General and Android Q&A.​

How can I get involved with the development community?
    Well, being active is the simple answer.
    As you'll notice across XDA, the type of posts allowed in development threads are decided by the developer. Some developers want dev talk only. The won't want any kind of questions or general comments. Most, however, don't really mind what kind of posts go into their thread. Most will allow questions and a small amount of off topic chatter to happen within their thread. This allows a small community to grow - one who uses this certain piece of development and can help out others along the way. Getting involved in such small communities is great because you can learn a lot, help people a lot and even make your way towards those 50 posts needed to create your own thread in the development forums.​

Now that you've read through this thread, you will know the best and easiest way to make your first 50 posts. If you see any other members who are not following this guidance, feel free to link them to this thread so that they can learn from it aswell. Now you're good to go! :)
    What about experienced devs who happen to be new to xda?

Thanks for the post, those are good points about how to make your 10 posts, but I can't help but feel a little frustrated as a long time software developer but new xda user:

First, let's look at why new users generally want to be able to post in a development thread ;
    *They think it's the cool place to hangout.
    *They think their question will be answered quicker.
    *They want to say thanks to a developer for the work that they've done.
    *They think their question is important and should be posted in development.

The ROM I use uses XDA as their main bug reporting platform, I have a legitimate bug report to make but it's a bit annoying having to jump through hoops to report it
    Good job, I added a link from the new user guide. :good:
    This is definitely the thing that was needed.
    @KidCarter93,you have done a good job
    :good: :good:
    Yeah the 10 post rule was killed in January. Anyone can post replies in development. However to make a new thread you still need to have 50 posts.