Meizu VP Leaks M1 Note Mini

Yes, the oxymoron “Note Mini” does mean the device has a 5 inch screen, between a phablet and a mini. … more

Ampere Charging Meter

Do you have problems with your charger or experience terribly slow charging? Check out this helpful tool made by XDA … more

Must Have App Review: AROMA File Manager

Here at XDA we spend a lot of time in our recoveries. Some of our tweaks, hacks, and mods require … more

New Forums Created for Windows 10 Development

Microsoft, looking to be a player in the game of giants with their recent announcement of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Sign Petition: KitKat BREAKS MICROSD FUNCTIONALITY

OP KruseLudsMobile

31st August 2014, 11:41 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
Android comes from Open Source and it should stay open for the user. The user should decide if apps are allowed to get write access or not. Similar to the "install apps from unknown sources".

I see no security reason rater than pushing the user to buy new devices with more onboard memory. Its absolutely no-go to remove such fundamental feature from one day to another. I would downgrade to get feature back .... but even this is not possible.
6th November 2014, 12:20 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
and now ES File Explorer broken too
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

Or you could update your apps...

App developers just have to update the permissions of their apps and they work fine.

For instance, ES File Explorer can move, cut, paste, rename and delete things just fine. And no, I'm not rooted.

Attachment 2715714

Well the time has come: ES File Explorer recently stopped having the ability to write to the microSD card in my Samsung tablet, SM-T900 Tab Pro 12.2. Same is true for HD File Manager. Both worked fine untile recently.

Samsung My Files app does still work. Probably the only Samsung app i will ever use if i can help it.
6th November 2014, 01:03 PM   |  #23  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,068

4,303 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcoch

Well the time has come: ES File Explorer recently stopped having the ability to write to the microSD card in my Samsung tablet, SM-T900 Tab Pro 12.2. Same is true for HD File Manager. Both worked fine untile recently.

Samsung My Files app does still work. Probably the only Samsung app i will ever use if i can help it.

I've been hearing more people with this issue. It seems the last Android update broke it. (Not simply KitKat as it worked for quite a while, but the most recent small ones.)

Reminds me once more why I don't update unless something's broken...
5th January 2015, 09:01 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

Or you could update your apps...

App developers just have to update the permissions of their apps and they work fine.

For instance, ES File Explorer can move, cut, paste, rename and delete things just fine. And no, I'm not rooted.

Attachment 2715714

Or Google could have been upfront about what was going to happen when you installed their update.
5th January 2015, 09:18 PM   |  #25  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,068

4,303 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slclark11

Or Google could have been upfront about what was going to happen when you installed their update.

They did. Hundreds of times. It even made it to the BBC and CNN.

In fact, Google has never supported SDcards.
5th January 2015, 09:19 PM   |  #26  
Moderator Committee Retired - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 12,161

15,718 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slclark11

Google made the developers very aware of the upcoming changes. If app developers didn't take heed to this then that is their fault. It has long been known that Google was removing all the base code for external sd cards.
6th January 2015, 03:41 AM   |  #27  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ridgewood, NJ
Thanks Meter: 38

657 posts
Donate to Me
More
Why were they doing this?
6th January 2015, 04:51 AM   |  #28  
Moderator Committee Retired - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 12,161

15,718 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KruseLudsMobile

Why were they doing this?

They said because it was confusing the average person. I hate to say it I saw it first hand. The average user didn't know the difference. Mix in the fact that people keep trying to install apps to sd cards and then complain to app developers that things don't work right. When the Android system isn't made to have apps on external storage.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread