[Q] CWM can't mount partitions

OP giza1928

19th May 2014, 12:08 AM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

I have no experience with CWM; apparently it sucks.

Code:
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
should do it. Assuming that CWM ships with a make_ext4fs binary.

Thanks, that worked! CWM does ship with make_ext4fs, I flashed Cyanogenmod and it booted successfully!
23rd December 2014, 03:45 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 15

30 posts
Prompt
I figured I would post my experience with a sudden bootloop. My tf700t was unlocked and rooted a very long time ago and I've used a few ROM's since doing that. First was CROMI-x then Cyanogenmod 11 nightlies then CROMBi-kk and then I switched to ZOMBI-x.
I installed Zombi-x using F2FS file system and never had any issues except for the usual mind numbing lag from the horrible IO issues.

So just last night (12/21/2014) my tablet froze with a light grey screen and about 10 seconds later it rebooted, but it kept rebooting over and over. I tried cold booting, but that didn't help, so I booted into CWM (ver. 6.0.4.7) and tried to do a wipe data/system reset, but the tablet would just reboot part way through. I tried formatting the /data partition directly but it caused the tablet to reboot as well. So a few other posts around the interwebs led me to the conclusion that I needed to get rid of clockworkmod and switch to TWRP.

Thankfully I was able to connect to the tablet using fastboot, but only in Linux. (my Win7 PC saw that something was there, but it wouldn't let me install the driver)(http://lifehacker.com/the-easiest-wa...-to-1586992378) So I installed TWRP 2.8.3.0 and used it to do a complete wipe. It started the format but had several errors about not being able to mount /data and then it said it was formatting Data using ext4fs. I've read that it should only take 5 minutes or so, so you can imagine my worry when 5 minutes past and then 10 and so on until it finished up after a little over 30 minutes, so if it's just sitting there, there's a good chance it is actually doing something, so leave it be for awhile and don't forget to check your battery, you don't want your tab to shut off suddenly!

I reinstalled CROMBi-kk and let it boot. Much to my surprise it booted and the resulting performance was nothing short of shocking!
So far this thing is running like it NEVER has before! The lag so far is so much less than ever and things open and close very quickly!
So without any surprise here, I won't be using F2FS anymore for fear I'll have corruption on the internal storage again! Thankfully TWRP came through for me. So if your tf700 is bootlooping and you still have fastboot, try installing the latest TWRP, it may just make the difference between a functioning tablet and a brick!
23rd December 2014, 09:38 AM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,650

3,645 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking8

So I installed TWRP 2.8.3.0 and used it to do a complete wipe. It started the format but had several errors about not being able to mount /data and then it said it was formatting Data using ext4fs. I've read that it should only take 5 minutes or so, so you can imagine my worry when 5 minutes past and then 10 and so on until it finished up after a little over 30 minutes, so if it's just sitting there, there's a good chance it is actually doing something, so leave it be for awhile and don't forget to check your battery, you don't want your tab to shut off suddenly!

I reinstalled CROMBi-kk and let it boot. Much to my surprise it booted and the resulting performance was nothing short of shocking!
So far this thing is running like it NEVER has before! The lag so far is so much less than ever and things open and close very quickly!

The long time it takes for formatting and the performance gains are actually related. Creating the filesystem takes probably less than 5 minutes, but then the recovery does a "trim" on the free blocks - telling the eMMC that it may discard the data in these blocks and erase them. Erasing flash memory is slow. But following write requests by the booted ROM will be much faster because they can be written directly without prior erasing and shuffling data around.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th December 2014, 07:05 AM   |  #14  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,219

3,506 posts
More
Quote:

The long time it takes for formatting and the performance gains are actually related. Creating the filesystem takes probably less than 5 minutes, but then the recovery does a "trim" on the free blocks - telling the eMMC that it may discard the data in these blocks and erase them. Erasing flash memory is slow. But following write requests by the booted ROM will be much faster because they can be written directly without prior erasing and shuffling data around.

So the performance boost after formatting /data is temporary until the emmc again has to shuffle data around when it gets write requests?
I thought f2fs was supposed to take care of that?
24th December 2014, 09:51 AM   |  #15  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,650

3,645 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb

So the performance boost after formatting /data is temporary until the emmc again has to shuffle data around when it gets write requests?
I thought f2fs was supposed to take care of that?

Using f2fs should increase the time until the eMMC has to shuffle data around because it does less random writes. But when all blocks have been written once, something must be erased to rewrite more. The permanent solution is to run fstrim regularly (I've seen some comments in the Android source code that runs it automatically from time to time) or to mount with the discard option, and to leave a reasonable amount of space free (10 to 15%).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th December 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #16  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,219

3,506 posts
More
Quote:

Using f2fs should increase the time until the eMMC has to shuffle data around because it does less random writes. But when all blocks have been written once, something must be erased to rewrite more. The permanent solution is to run fstrim regularly (I've seen some comments in the Android source code that runs it automatically from time to time) or to mount with the discard option, and to leave a reasonable amount of space free (10 to 15%).

Enlightening as always! Happy Holidays to you and your family!
[emoji319] [emoji319] [emoji318] [emoji319] [emoji319]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to berndblb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2015, 03:47 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 30

218 posts
It doesn't seem that lagfix can trim /data formated to f2fs.

Sent from my TF700T using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread