OP blueether

22nd October 2014, 02:50 AM   |  #111  
Thanks Meter: 4

42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether

/me digs: just like it says in the OP?

I tried the OP steps but this step caused my device to freeze:

- Try this for "device not supported." You'll have to tap the welcome to towel root icon 3 times and change the string to:

So for those who face similar situation like me, skip that step, just tap welcome to towelroot straightaway..
24th November 2014, 02:41 AM   |  #112  
Flag FROM TEXAS BUT I RESIDE STL
Thanks Meter: 7

170 posts
More
Bootloader Question
Im using the sony way of unlocking my BL. I keep getting "is a directory" after i type in terminal fastboot devices...... Im following the directions as it gives me ...and keep getting stuck....Thank you for your help....
5th December 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #113  
OP Senior Member
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,611

3,390 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippyFist

Im using the sony way of unlocking my BL. I keep getting "is a directory" after i type in terminal fastboot devices...... Im following the directions as it gives me ...and keep getting stuck....Thank you for your help....

Try from flashtool http://flashtool.net and make sure all drivers are installed
12th January 2015, 01:18 PM   |  #114  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Let me know if I got it: there's a common Z Ultra, and it is rootable AFTER upgrading the firmware to KitKat. And there's the GPe one (Google Play edition), which should be rooted as soon as it is unpacked. Right?
By the way, in case I got it as a gift, what procedures should I take to know which one I got?
12th January 2015, 05:36 PM   |  #115  
Moderator Committee Lead / Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Flag At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thanks Meter: 5,409

18,867 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliouel

Let me know if I got it: there's a common Z Ultra, and it is rootable AFTER upgrading the firmware to KitKat. And there's the GPe one (Google Play edition), which should be rooted as soon as it is unpacked. Right?
By the way, in case I got it as a gift, what procedures should I take to know which one I got?

No. Root is never enabled out of the box simply because it is a security risk. Some devices are easier to root than others but none come rooted.

There are two versions of this device, both of which come with a locked bootloader. The difference lies in the branding and the software:

The regular Sony Xperia Z Ultra comes with Sony software (Xperia launcher, camera, etc)

The gpe edition is not an Xperia device (its name is actually Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition - without the Xperia as part of its name). And as you may have guessed, it comes with Google experience type of software (basically aosp with everything that has Google branding on it).

As far as rooting, I am not sure of a way to root lollipop other than flashing a rooted ROM, which last I checked is only available for the Xperia version. I think that Doomlord released a rooted .IMG for the GPE but I haven't seen comments of any kind from people successfully flashing it.

Telling which one you got is as simple as looking at the box or even the device itself. If you see the word "Xperia" anywhere, you got the Sony variant. Also, look at the launcher. If it is not Xperia launcher, then you got the gpe one.

Hopefully this helps...

There are two rules in life for being successful:

1. Never reveal everything you know;
The Following User Says Thank You to egzthunder1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2015, 06:29 PM   |  #116  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egzthunder1

No. Root is never enabled out of the box simply because it is a security risk. Some devices are easier to root than others but none come rooted.

There are two versions of this device, both of which come with a locked bootloader. The difference lies in the branding and the software:

The regular Sony Xperia Z Ultra comes with Sony software (Xperia launcher, camera, etc)

The gpe edition is not an Xperia device (its name is actually Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition - without the Xperia as part of its name). And as you may have guessed, it comes with Google experience type of software (basically aosp with everything that has Google branding on it).

As far as rooting, I am not sure of a way to root lollipop other than flashing a rooted ROM, which last I checked is only available for the Xperia version. I think that Doomlord released a rooted .IMG for the GPE but I haven't seen comments of any kind from people successfully flashing it.

Telling which one you got is as simple as looking at the box or even the device itself. If you see the word "Xperia" anywhere, you got the Sony variant. Also, look at the launcher. If it is not Xperia launcher, then you got the gpe one.

Hopefully this helps...

Thanks a lot for the reply.
Now I know I got the Xperia one, not Google's branding.
Then I said " rootable AFTER upgrading the firmware to KitKat", I was acctually asking: "Should I update the firmware to KitKat (which is already available, acording to Sony's website) and only after getting the device rooted? Or should I root it right out of the box?"
According to your answer I may assume it can be done in both cases.
12th January 2015, 06:40 PM   |  #117  
Moderator Committee Lead / Member Advocate Admin - Spirit of XDA
Flag At The Good End Of My Hammer, Likes: My Family & XDA, Dislikes: Incompetence
Thanks Meter: 5,409

18,867 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliouel

Thanks a lot for the reply.
Now I know I got the Xperia one, not Google's branding.
Then I said " rootable AFTER upgrading the firmware to KitKat", I was acctually asking: "Should I update the firmware to KitKat (which is already available, acording to Sony's website) and only after getting the device rooted? Or should I root it right out of the box?"
According to your answer I may assume it can be done in both cases.

AFAIK, KitKat can be rooted up until 4.4.4 by using Towelroot.

The Following User Says Thank You to egzthunder1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2015, 06:49 PM   |  #118  
OP Senior Member
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,611

3,390 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by egzthunder1

AFAIK, KitKat can be rooted up until 4.4.4 by using Towelroot.

Yep, update to 4.4.4 (x.x.x.108 or 118) then root with easyroot for xperia - the the guide thread in the general section

The Following User Says Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread