Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Build Quality Concerns

OP PatsFan1286

8th January 2015, 09:02 AM   |  #731  
Thanks Meter: 116

845 posts
My vibration module just died. No vibration in any mode even when the machine is rebooted fresh. Anyone able to get it fixed without sending to the service center
8th January 2015, 12:10 PM   |  #732  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 2

11 posts
More
Did you try the Test Function app? Type *#*#3424#*#* on your phone dial page and test the vibration. If it doesn't work the module may need to be replaced.
8th January 2015, 12:35 PM   |  #733  
Thanks Meter: 116

845 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanketsu

Did you try the Test Function app? Type *#*#3424#*#* on your phone dial page and test the vibration. If it doesn't work the module may need to be replaced.

Tested. It does not vibrate.
9th January 2015, 02:02 AM   |  #734  
Mobile, AL
Thanks Meter: 59

345 posts
More
I think that the build quality of this phone is freaking outstanding. I dropped it out of my truck onto the concrete as I was moving. Sure a few nicks on the back. I then had it on the tractor while I was working and forgot it. Went to look for it and found it in the field with tire tracks across the screen. Everything still intact except I had to pry the volume rockers out a bit since the aluminum was a bit dented in. With all that said, the screen is still mint, and the casing has a bit of damage, but I guarantee with any other phone, I would have been buying a new one long ago.
13th January 2015, 12:31 AM   |  #735  
Thanks Meter: 58

243 posts
Are the speaker grills/ to and bottom covers always so poorly fitted? Mine were not level with the screen glass. Proud on one side, sunken on the other. Looking across the phone from the side they both look really warped.

The edges of the screen have a narrow metal gutter. This was twisted and bent to hell. Not possible to correct.

On the positive side, compared with my nexus 4... The screen is twice as bright. Incredible and difficult to go back. The aspect ratio is weird. What can you say about the speakers... Suffice to say the compromise is well worth it.

Against the N4 tho, the M8 looks bad. My N4 looks the same as it did when I bought it. The rubber sides don't hold dirt, and it's a simple and clean design. Already my M8 is looking more tatty (after a week). It's shiny but it's harder to grip and that gains me nothing. The volume rocker wobbles but isn't loose. The power button is stupidly placed and there's not always a smart way to turn off the screen.

The dot view case has been justifiably and comprehensively slated elsewhere. I was just shocked at what a dust magnet it is. And it just doesn't fit. Disgraceful.
13th January 2015, 01:49 AM   |  #736  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,629

8,462 posts
More
Use a kernel with s2w and s2s and you have always smart wake and sleep
13th January 2015, 04:34 AM   |  #737  
Thanks Meter: 8

103 posts
But still... This is one of the best phones till date. There's no device outside that can meet HTC's standards.
13th January 2015, 07:57 AM   |  #738  
Thanks Meter: 5

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan1286

While the M8 looks amazing, I have concerns about the build quality.

I own the last few HTC flagships, so a bit of background.

Desire HD - amazing phone. Absolutely sold me on Android. The wife still uses it.

One X - I rushed out to buy this as the DHD was that good. I had to exchange this phone 4 times due to QC issues - all documented (flex, bleed, dead pixels, etc). The good phone I eventually got now has a bad strip on the digitizer. The bottom row of the keyboard / just above the unlock ring is dead. Out of warranty and unlocked so no chance with HTC. DOA - no new phone for the wife (see above).

One (M7) - amazing phone again, ran out and bought it at launch. It wasn't until I got it home that I noticed a dead pixel and a hair just under the screen. Maddening! Had to return that one as well. Took a month for my carrier to get more back in stock to replace it. In the end, this phone is close to perfect.

One (M8) - ?

Not trying to start any kind of flamewar, but my faith in HTC is waning. Are they the new Microsoft, only release anything good every other?

Just looking for feedback on the build quality on the M8.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

My camera cover (the outer glass lens) got a single crack through it when it went through a temp change (hot summer air to AC car.) Really kinda miffed me, but it doesn't seem to affect the picture quality at all and the TMO rep said it shouldn't affect jump.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread