[Root][Moto E][Guide HowTo]How to root Moto E [Condor][Noob Friendly]

Search This thread

TroubleRS

Jan 7, 2015
re

HI,
I have a tracfone moto e as well and i am getting the same exact error at the moment. After doing some research i discovered that tracfone registers each device with other anouther company. In my case they registered my phone with verison wireless(which is good when it comes to signal but not good for rooting as they dont allow it, like u said). I found out exactly who my cell was registered to by doing a reserse phone number lookup on my cell. It told me my number was registered with verizon which makes sense. also, i contacted motorola and they said that they do not support unlocking the phone. One last thing, some person emailed me claiming they were from tracfone saying that all i need to do is contact tracfone to have them unlock it. i may try this in a few days. Hope this helps somewhat even though i didnt solve your problem.
thankyou very much for the tutorial. I started it but when i finally obtained the long string of numbers, and requested an unlock key, I got an error messege saying that your device is not elegeble for bootloader unlocking.Could this really be or is it a mistake. I have service through trakphone if that makes any difference. I have allready tried unlinking my google acount to motorola Id an using different browsers and a different computer and sighning in with a different account. I double checked the numbers were properly copied with no spaces. Could trakphone be preventing bootloader unlocking? I know verizon does but i didnt find anything about trackphone. anyway thanks for your help.

Reactions: Mindolen

SParker40

Dec 13, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22
Unlocking Bootloader of ST Moto E bought at Wal Mart

It's more than likely that Verizon insisted these be locked down for use on their network. They call the shots, not Tracfone.

Sent from my LGLS620 using Tapatalk 2
I was excited to develop on this device but after buying it a couple days ago I think I will be bringing it back to wal mart and trading it for a developable device. I wish I knew how to unlock this bootloader because this phone has alot of potential. Someone please talk me out of it if there is a way to unlock the bootloader of the straight talk variant of this phone. Thanks

ankitkr09

Nov 13, 2012
patna
I unlocked my bootloader and rooted my moto e.. flashed cwm recovery.. and now my moto e restarts after i try to lock the screen through the lock button... and also my google play is not working .. What is the cause of this and possible solution?

Thanx in advance!

cahlfin

Feb 3, 2015
Can't download fastboot

Sorry, this file is infected with a virus

Only the owner is allowed to download infected files.

What gives? Any help please?
Sorry if this has been covered. 23 pages is a lot to go through and I assume the OP would've been updated...

vikasbahiri123

Dec 6, 2014
Sangamner
I am getting this message
target reportedmax download size of 299892736 bytes error: cannot load recovery.img : no error
pls help on this

Last edited:

Prashanth Meesara:

Jan 15, 2013
Bellary
I am getting this message
target reportedmax download size of 299892736 bytes error: cannot load recovery.img : no error
pls help on this

Try this if you are flashing the recovery
fastboot flash recovery "drag and drop the recovery image into the cmd prompt "
Or
Copy the recovery file to the same folder where you have the fastboot files and then type
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA free mobile app

Reactions: vikasbahiri123

Mindolen

Jan 6, 2015
Richmond
HI,
I have a tracfone moto e as well and i am getting the same exact error at the moment. After doing some research i discovered that tracfone registers each device with other anouther company. In my case they registered my phone with verison wireless(which is good when it comes to signal but not good for rooting as they dont allow it, like u said). I found out exactly who my cell was registered to by doing a reserse phone number lookup on my cell. It told me my number was registered with verizon which makes sense. also, i contacted motorola and they said that they do not support unlocking the phone. One last thing, some person emailed me claiming they were from tracfone saying that all i need to do is contact tracfone to have them unlock it. i may try this in a few days. Hope this helps somewhat even though i didnt solve your problem.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I looked up my number and apparently my phone does use the Verizon network. So if its the Verizon network that's keeping us from unlocking the bootloader, would it solve the problem by getting tracfone to switch my network to say sprint for instance. Is that even possible? Anyway, I would really like to get this figured out because moto e literally has a 2gb hard drive and not being able to download any of the apps I want while my 16gb SD card sits there empty is driving me crazy.

Dec 28, 2013
Ahmedabad
How to Unroot and relock bootloader?

You don't need to do it bro.. Motorola updated their bootservice .. I mean the warning shows up but only for 2-3 secs and after that comes a new logo loading.. So I think It would be best not to waste time on such things :)
Can you please help me how to re lock boot loader and un root my moto e i'm unable to relock boot loader cause I'm unable to upgrade to lollipop..
Please help me (noob friendly)

Thank in advance

dave7698

Feb 1, 2015
When I'm in bootloader menu and I select that it should reboot into recovery, it just normally reboots.. What am I doing wrong? I succesfully flashed CWM 6.0.4.9 recovery. TWRP doesn't work neither.

dave7698

Feb 1, 2015
Nevermind! I selected recovery with the power button instead volume up button... Now it's just working fine :D

LKGUY

Mar 1, 2015
Rooting - Moto E XT1022 Dual Sim Indian Version

Hi
First of all I would like to thank XDA and all the senior members and participants who have made possible for non-technical people like me to be able to think of and be confident of doing so many technical things like rooting on their own.
I just bught a new Moto E (Android 4.4.4) which I am desperately trying to root.
However despite of searching over internet for past three days I have not been able to find any way to unlock bootloader of Indian version (Motorola official website supports bootloader unlocking in few regions only). (Please help me with any other possible way).
As I understand unlocking bootloader is a must before I can use a custom recovery to install super user. (Please correct me if i am wrong).
I have found some information that srs root (apologies for referring to other website stuff - if that is not allowed) supports one click root of moto XT1022 KXC21.5-40 which is my phone's model number. Whether this will work? How safe are one click rooting applications? there are few other one click rooting applications for Moto E.
Please help me root my Moto E
Thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will update the method as and when newer methods are available!

So confirmed Root is here presented by @cybojenix
    I am making the thread only for making it Noob friendly, and making the instructions bit more detailed!
    All credit goes to @cybojenix

DISCLAIMER:
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

Procedure
    1. Download mfastboot-v2 extract its content and use that for unlocking Bootloader
    2. Unlock your bootloader From Here
      TIPs:
      1. Unlocking bootloader will wipe your device, Backup your photos, music, contacts using applications in play store or whichvere method you prefer
      2. The motorola site tells us to download the android SDK, You can skip that big download and use the fastboot in step 1
      3. Follow the further steps given on motorola's site, After clicking on Request an Unlock Key, You will get an email which will consist guideline to proceed further!
      4. Clicking on Request an Unlock Key is the point where you lose your warranty
    3. Download The TWRP recovery from here(thread) or here(Goo.im) rename it recovery-twrp.img and move it in the same folder as of step 1
    4. Download The SuperSU from here(thread) or here(chainfire.eu)() and copy it into the root of your internal memory!
    5. Connect your phone to PC and Reboot to bootloader by pressing VolumeDown+Power button for about 6-7 seconds.
    6. Go to the directory in step 1, Do Shift+RightClick in empty space in the folder without selecting anything, Select Open a command window here.
    7. Run following command
      Code:
      fastboot boot recovery-twrp.img
      If facing errors refer to TIP No. 2 and 3
      [*]Now touch doesn't work in recovery straight away, so wait 60 seconds without touching the phone, The phone screen will go blank.
      [*]Press power button and do swipe to unlock to get your touch working again!

As Motorola released source code for the kernel, @cybojenix has fixed the touch issue, you can skip to step 10 directly!
    8. Select Install, scroll down and find the SuperSU Zip downloaded in step 4.
    9. Swipe to confirm, wait untill the flash is complete and then select reboot, to boot into your phone which is rooted now
    10. Check your app drawer, There should be SuperSU installed. Congratulations you are rooted!

TIPS:
    1. Downloading things from the thread link is a better option as the hotlinks may get outdated, Thread links will not!
    2. If you want to install twrp rather then just booting into it for once, you can use following command to flash it permanently
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img
    3. If stuck on Boot Logo of Motorola (blue M), @JerryGoyal has provided a Thread Here to solve the problem using CWM instead of TWRP.

1. According to the method you can download CWM and Rename it to recovery-cwm.img in place of TWRP in step 3. Execute other steps the same
      2. And in step 7 Replace the given code with
        Code:
        fastboot flash recovery recovery-cwm.img
      3. In CWM Touch doesn't Work to scroll Use Volume Buttons and Use Power Button to select the choice
      4. in Step 10 you would select Install from sdcard
    4. If you do something wrong and stuck somewhere, The stock firmwares are available for restoring.
      [Condor][Stock Firmware] Restore your Moto E to Stock[Lock Bootloader][Noob Friendly]

Reply if any issues! I'll try my best to help!
    having same issue with trying to download the TWRP onto the device.

Minimal ADB and Fastboot opens cmd.exe is good
    downloading the moto_e_twrp2.7.0.0_v1.2.img onto downloads in firefox is good
    Phone going into fastboot on phone and using fastboot devices showes my device number.
    when i try to flash the phone with fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img i get the error

target reported max download size of 299892736 bytes
    error: cannot load 'recovery-twrp.img': No error

only thing that does not look correct is when i transfer the moto_e_twrp2.7.0.0_v1.2.img from the firefox download
    to my computer or to the minimal ADB and fastboot file,
    it looses its .img at the end of the file name? so i rename it to recovery-twrp.img

i dont know if that is the problem?

It doesn'e lose the .img extension, it should be there, just windows wont be showing it, when you rename, dont put recovery-twrp.img rather just keep recover-twrp i believe that should solve the problem
    If you want to avoid such errors in future i recommend to uncheck "Folder Options> View> hide extension for known file types"
    Very good effort :thumbup:
    Some newbies actually need it

Sent from my XT1022 using XDA Free mobile app
    I did a video tutorial showing how to Unlock the Bootloader and Root Motorola Moto E

Step by step...

Hope it helps [emoji4]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DGlZLWX0vk

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk