[Tutorial] Xperia Z1 Bootloader Unlocking/Relocking

Search This thread

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
Hello! I read somewhere that if my phone's manufacture date is 11W29 or PAST 11W29 I should not attempt to unlock the bootloader because the phone will hard brick, is it true? My Xperia Z1 says "13W39" but the bootloader can be unlocked as I have checked multiple times, please help :(
I think you are referring to xperia 2011 not unlockable phones and the unofficial unlock method.
You are just fine with Z1 though

Sent from my Xperia S using XDA Free mobile app

kidrock23

Nov 29, 2010
To revert back to stock kernel, when I only leave the kernel part in the exclude window of flashtool it shows 3 contents ; Kernel.sin, rpm.sin & loader.sin. How do I select only Kernel.sin as per instructions.
Also after I lock the bootloader, I need to reload TA backup and I can reload the stock FTF from flashtool?, Can I also reload TA backup on unlocked 4.4.2 with V20 doomkernel.
Sorry for the Noob questions but coming from a note this seems more complicated.

Regards
Charles

Hate Android Lag

Dec 26, 2012
Raub
can i relock bootloader without TA backup? cuz i didnt backup TA before unlocking

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Xentar712

Sep 27, 2007
I'm stuck in a boot loop after unlocking my bootloader. I think it might have something to do with having dual recovery installed and/or a custom rom installed with a LB beforehand. I get to the sony logo and a bout 3 seconds of graphics before it reboots again. I can get to fastboot mode but not recovery. Any ideas of how I can get out of this? Anyone know if you can flash recovery via fastboot?

Edit: Nm, I figured out a way to flash cwm via fastboot. Now I'm working on a sideload rom installation. Hopefully that does the trick.

Last edited:

Robert_1968_

Aug 28, 2012
Wageningen
www.robertstienstra.nl
Unlocking bootloader

Hi there I need a little help with ulocking the bootloader on my xperia z1

Trying to unlock bootloader on my xperia z1 device. followed instructions on how to unlock bootloader from the sony developers website.

got an unlock key but when executing the command to unlock the bootloader I am getting this error

Remote (command did not succeed) and when executing the command again is giving me a message device is already rooted while it isn't. Now i have been looking on the internet for a solution but cannot find one except a lot of people with the same issue.

could you help me out. Oh and I have tried different computers with different os and all giving the same result.

fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version

version: 0.5 finished. total time: -0.000s

fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xmykeyfromsony

FAILED (remote: Command did not succeed) finished. total time: 0.031s

all drivers are installed correctly, tried different computers with different os all giving the same results, when trying flashtool it says unlocked but it isn't

oh and bootloader unlock is allowed.

help would be appreciated a lot.

thanks

imranaryan

Jan 18, 2008
Kolkata
xten-sion.blogspot.com
hello friends.. my Z1 warranty got over .. i was thinking to unlock it.. so i want to confirm that is there bug.. like i heard camera stop working after boot loader unlock.. is there anyway i can keep my camera working after bootloader unlock.. please help

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
hello friends.. my Z1 warranty got over .. i was thinking to unlock it.. so i want to confirm that is there bug.. like i heard camera stop working after boot loader unlock.. is there anyway i can keep my camera working after bootloader unlock.. please help
Goddamn. That just happened for the first couple of months. Everything works now.
execpt maybe advanced de-noise

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
it doesn't say "relocked " like htc and other devices?
If you restore your backup it's really identical
Otherwise if yiu use method 2 (plain relock) technically it could be possible to say you touched it
Though people in repair centers just check whether status is ublocked or not (which is not)

Reactions: NexusGTS

NexusGTS

Dec 23, 2012
Bucharest
And one thing , if i unlock it relock it restore the ta partition is there a chance that i will have problems with bravia , camera and other apps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick tutorial for unlocking & relocking the bootloader of the Xperia Z1

this is the official way to unlock bootloader

the bootloader-camera bug has been fixed in the 4.3 update!

Sony confirms bootloader unlock issue on Z1:

Warning! At the moment, unlocking the Xperia™ Z1 boot loader will stop the camera functionality.

http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/supported-devices

WARNING!

MAKE TA BACKUP BEFORE UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER!

After unlocking bootloader the camera can not be used on stock ROM!

Relocking bootloader will NOT help!

Just restore TA, and the camera will work again!

if you want to backup the TA or keep ur DRM keys,first root the device and then check this out

Warning!

This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone, so you will loose all ur stored data, settings. SDCARD will BE WIPED!!!

For Xperia™ devices released 2013 or later (for example Xperia™ Z and Xperia™ ZL), the SD card of your device will be formatted and you will lose all content (for example photos, music, videos) when you unlock the boot loader.

DRM keys WILL be lost forever

I'd add what losing DRM keys means, e.g. no more Music ID/Gracenote within the Walkman app plus probably most importantly, as asked all the time and all over the place in the T/mint forums: loss of Bravia Engine.

older Xperia devices sometimes got issues after unlock of bootloader (BRICK after FOTA update) - you have been warned

why to unlock bootloader?

1. u can flash custom ROMs/Kernels
    2. u dont need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader u can always ROOT ur device
    3. Sony gives sneak-peaks/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011/2012 line, so who knows may be Sony may give early builds of next android OS ;)

Most of this is taken from lollylost100's his tutorial from ARC thread (all credits for that concise tutorial go to him, i have elaborated on a few things and added device specific changes)

btw i dont have this device, most of this testing was done remotely on a users phone... so thanks a lot to him for helping out!!!

[ before we begin unlocking bootloader ]

• get the IMEI code for ur device: type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes)
    • download the fastboot package
    • IMPORTANT: if you are using Windows 8 you will need to enable few things to allow driver installation
    • download the latest FlashTool Xperia Driver Pack and install fastboot drivers (common) & adb drivers for this device from the list!
    • make sure u have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone
    • power down ur phone and keeping the Volume Up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, which should be automatically done
    • once drivers are installed just disconnect cable and power on device

[ how to unlock ] (official way)

1. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read everything!
    2. At the bottom click 'Start Unlocking the Bootloader'
      First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.

In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
    3. after u have verified that u can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Continue"
    4. you will get numerous prompts, read all info and if u agree click on "Accept"/"OK"/"Proceed"
    5. finally u will get a "Create Unlock request" page, enter your IMEI (sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and email address
    6. You should now receive your unique unlock key via EMAIL, SAVE THIS KEY SAFELY
    7. Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder
    8. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
    9. Select 'Open command window here'
    10. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable) [make sure drivers are installed as explained above)
    11. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
    12. If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected
    13. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key which u received earlier.
    14. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked

If this tutorial is too much for you then itskapil wrote a step-by-step guide (and recorded a video also):
    -Instructions: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-xperia-arc-play-neo-pro/
    -Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRH3pC7MhEA
    (the above videos and some steps are for Xperia 2011 devices, but most the steps are same for Xperia Z)

Relock procedure is posted here

regards,

DooMLoRD
    Relocking bootloader

With the latest release of Flashtool it is now possible to relock bootloader.

Download the latest flashtool from:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=920746

Important

DO NOT USE ANY FTF TO RELOCK BOOTLOADER! THOSE OLD FTFs DO NOT WORK FOR THE 2013 DEVICES!!!

before u relock bootloader u have to be on pure stock kernel (flash only the kernel.sin using flashtool), else the device WILL NOT BOOT after relock

Steps:

1. now start Flashtool and click on BLU button
    2. u will be asked to connect device in flashmode
    3. once u connect the device u will get a prompt to "Relock"
    4. click on it and when prompted disconnect the device

Want to UNLOCK again after relocking? read this!
    I unlocked without doing a TA backup. (Stupid me, yesyes i know)
    yes
    So I'm in a ****ty situation.
    Not really, not anymore
    Does this 4.3 update somehow get my camera back?
    yes
    You read
    new driver package uploaded!

Supports Xperia Z1 Compact, Z Ultra (including WiFi only) & Z1 !

NEW:

Flashtool Driver pack v1.2 - 20140204

OLD:

Flashtool Driver pack v1.1 - 20130911
    Was speaking with a Sony rep the other day who told me when asked about the bootloader breaking the camera he was saying Sony are really worried about their software being out in the open and really don't want their phones getting rooted / modified.

That's pretty much what he said to the letter, so not sure who he knows in Sony or not but he seemed pretty sure.

Just hope he's wrong about it, I put across my opinion and said that I think Sony are shooting themselves in the foot by letting this phone out in the wild with a broken unlock, I believe it's intentional, I think they want it to be exclusively Sony Software for as long as they can have it, in the hope that we will like it and want it to stay.

But the bottom line is one way or another it'll get done, if Sony stick to their guns and don't allow the use of the camera after an unlock then this will be my first and final Sony, not to mention that a lot of other people would probably follow suit, but I don't think they're that stupid and i'm guessing that the camera will work from the next update, just wish they'd move their backsides about it.