No registration required

CUSPTECH Android Headunit

OP ryrager

27th December 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #141  
Thanks Meter: 0

22 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias.s

Could you please tell me which MCU Version Do you have? March or August?

Hi again tobias.s, why do you ask? do you have a clue to why it is not working?

br
kallepuk
31st December 2014, 07:19 PM   |  #142  
Thanks Meter: 3

33 posts
Sorry for the delay. I was on a trip.
Unfortunately the Chinese abandonned (at least it seems so) the firmware update for the units with the March MCU. The last working firmware for March MCU is c20140911-kk-ml. All firmwares that came after that are not compatible with the March version and cause a black screen after rebooting.
I invesitgated a lot the config files of the firmwares and must admit that they are not really well coded. For example the compatibility with usb hubs is easy to get, only very few changes are needed in some files in the boot area that I can't access, or are rewritten to its defaults when rebooting.
Also the compatibility with 3rd party Equlizers are not possible out of the box, only because the audio config in android is bad/wrong written. After correcting the config file edited by cusp, the equilizers are working like a charm.
I stopped updating my unit because I am very satisfied with my actual version/modification of kitkat(a version that came out in May I guess), because it is extremly stable since more than half a year now.
It is a pitty that Firmware updates for these units are in most cases not better than the older ones(may be even worse). In most cases they add some irrelevant and unimportant additions like animated logos and so on instead of correcting vital functionalities like the support of usb hubs or the reduction of autostart time for installed apps.
Happy new Year 2015.
The Following User Says Thank You to tobias.s For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2014, 07:34 PM   |  #143  

5 posts
Quote:

Unfortunately the Chinese abandonned (at least it seems so) the firmware update for the units with the March MCU. The last working firmware for March MCU is c20140911-kk-ml. All firmwares that came after that are not compatible with the March version and cause a black screen after rebooting.
I invesitgated a lot the config files of the firmwares and must admit that they are not really well coded. For example the compatibility with usb hubs is easy to get, only very few changes are needed in some files in the boot area that I can't access, or are rewritten to its defaults when rebooting.
Also the compatibility with 3rd party Equlizers are not possible out of the box, only because the audio config in android is bad/wrong written. After correcting the config file edited by cusp, the equilizers are working like a charm.
I stopped updating my unit because I am very satisfied with my actual version/modification of kitkat(a version that came out in May I guess), because it is extremly stable since more than half a year now.
It is a pitty that Firmware updates for these units are in most cases not better than the older ones(may be even worse). In most cases they add some irrelevant and unimportant additions like animated logos and so on instead of correcting vital functionalities like the support of usb hubs or the reduction of autostart time for installed apps.
Happy new Year 2015.

Hi,
Can you please send a link to your stable version ?
1st January 2015, 11:31 AM   |  #144  

22 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iido1234

Hi,
Can you please send a link to your stable version ?

Hi,

Look here:

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?uk=1...path=%252FCUSP

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Hi,

Thank you for the thorough explanation, it is much appreciated.

I have one more question regarding this. When you say the last working version is c20140911-kk-ml. I guess the -ml is for the Malaysian version. When looking at the page of the firmwares we also see an English folder.

Do you have any idea on which is the most previous English version that would work for March MCU?

It is a pity we won't get any further updates, and if it is the way you say, than it depends on some configuration to get it working, then it's a scandal.

The are some things that are bothering me at the moment;
First and foremost everything is in Chinese (Was able to fiddle through the menus and found my locale). And the apps are coded in Chinese.
No Google play services are working. (could maybe be solved by installing an English firmware)
Boot time, and the time it takes for it to totally shut off. On android 2.3 it would take some time before it totally shut down.

Happy new 2015 Tobias.s and thank you once again!

Best regards
kallepuk

Quote:

Happy new Year 2015.

1st January 2015, 03:47 PM   |  #145  

33 posts
Hey Kallepuk,

no problem, I am glad if I could help. In fact for these chinese units one can obtain better support and improvement for the device from the community rather than from the manufacturer. Actually cusp did not answer any of my mails that I've had send to them in the past.

Anyway, regarding ml version, I think I installed once on my second cusp device(that I use for testing purpose only) a ml version and all languages were installed there. I really don't know exactly what the differnces are between these versions, cause they seem to be equal. May be it is only the cusp Apk's itselfes that are coded in a different language.
I personally avoid as much as possible the cusp apks cause I am getting everytime annoyed by them and their bugs. For example I do not use the build in FM Radio at all. I am using webradio/stream with perfect audio quality and steering wheel button support. The integrated FM Radio is imho a joke.

Quote:

The are some things that are bothering me at the moment;
First and foremost everything is in Chinese (Was able to fiddle through the menus and found my locale). And the apps are coded in Chinese.
No Google play services are working. (could maybe be solved by installing an English firmware)
Boot time, and the time it takes for it to totally shut off. On android 2.3 it would take some time before it totally shut down.

What firmware version do you have installed?
The device is working great for me in my native language(german). If it is completely chinese for you, then I think you really got a bad firmware or you should change the language setting in the setting menu.
No goole play service??? Hmm that is strange. It works perfectly for me.
Boot time is 15s for the device itself till I can start any app manually from the home screen. Concerning autostart apps that I've installed, they only start after aprox. 2-3mins after ignition.
Totally shut off time is set to 1min by default from cusp. It was annoying for me cause If I stopped somewhere just for some minutes and restarted the car, the whole unit needed 2-3mins again to start up everything. Other manufacturer have better solutions, the shut off time is customizable by app. But there is a trick, a hardware add-on to extend the standby time by adding a capacity to the ACC line. When installed, the unit goes into standby for a choosen time(depends of the amount of the capacity installed), and shuts off completly after that. So if you restart the car between the standby and shut off time, the unit immediatly goes on. I've set it in my car to 30mins.

Please try this verion: c20140517-kk-en.tar
1st January 2015, 08:21 PM   |  #146  

22 posts
Hi again tobias.s

I agree with everything you are saying. It's as sad as can be that they just told me to buy a new one to be able to install the newer firmwares. Really sad! They've also not responded to my earlier mails when I claimed my warrantee after they posted a firmware on their official page with a buggy firmware that bricked my device, a firmware they later revoked. I had to get help from a Chinese friend of mine to be able to send it back and they sent me an older mcu version mcu unit back..

Totally agree the radio app sucks big times and I do most of my music-listening streaming (spotify). But I would like to be able to use radio the traditional way and can't find any app that could replace it. Do you have any clue?

How did you get the steering wheel buttons to work? On my Volvo cusptech says there is not CANBUS support.

Quote:

Hey Kallepuk,

no problem, I am glad if I could help. In fact for these chinese units one can obtain better support and improvement for the device from the community rather than from the manufacturer. Actually cusp did not answer any of my mails that I've had send to them in the past.

Anyway, regarding ml version, I think I installed once on my second cusp device(that I use for testing purpose only) a ml version and all languages were installed there. I really don't know exactly what the differnces are between these versions, cause they seem to be equal. May be it is only the cusp Apk's itselfes that are coded in a different language.
I personally avoid as much as possible the cusp apks cause I am getting everytime annoyed by them and their bugs. For example I do not use the build in FM Radio at all. I am using webradio/stream with perfect audio quality and steering wheel button support. The integrated FM Radio is imho a joke.

Quote:

What firmware version do you have installed?
The device is working great for me in my native language(german). If it is completely chinese for you, then I think you really got a bad firmware or you should change the language setting in the setting menu.
No goole play service??? Hmm that is strange. It works perfectly for me.
Boot time is 15s for the device itself till I can start any app manually from the home screen. Concerning autostart apps that I've installed, they only start after aprox. 2-3mins after ignition.
Totally shut off time is set to 1min by default from cusp. It was annoying for me cause If I stopped somewhere just for some minutes and restarted the car, the whole unit needed 2-3mins again to start up everything. Other manufacturer have better solutions, the shut off time is customizable by app. But there is a trick, a hardware add-on to extend the standby time by adding a capacity to the ACC line. When installed, the unit goes into standby for a choosen time(depends of the amount of the capacity installed), and shuts off completly after that. So if you restart the car between the standby and shut off time, the unit immediatly goes on. I've set it in my car to 30mins.

Please try this verion: c20140517-kk-en.tar

Since you are saying google services such as play are working on the ML version i will download the same you are using..
I am able to change the system language to English or Swedish (my native language) but the APKs are in Chinese (himarket). Still no google services.

About the standby and ACC line. Is there any good description on the net how to do it?

And one more thing, sorry to bother you so much. Do you know where I can find c20140517-kk-en.tar?

Best regards
kallepuk
1st January 2015, 10:40 PM   |  #147  

33 posts
Hey Kallepuk,

please download this firmware: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B0MRJ...xport=download
It is not c2014017 but c20140530 it is rooted and has as few chinese crap on it as possible.
I was mistaken, I am using exactly this firmware c20140530 on my device and it is working very stable.
I don't even know what Himarket is. Never saw that on any firmware that I've installed before on my device.

Regarding the steering wheel control SWC, I don't have any experiences with canbus driven swc's cause my car does not use it. But from what I've read in some forums, you need a box that translates the canbus swc commands to readable analogue signals that cusp unit can understand. So you got then from your car a CAN LOW and a CAN HIGH signal that enter the translation box, the exit wires are then connected to KEY1/KEY2 and GND of the cusp unit.

For the extended standby time, it is very simple: Hook a capacitor in parallel between GND and ACC(not constant battery). Add a well dimensioned diode for protection purpose in series. Check the Image in the attachment to this post.

I've searched a lot for an alternative to the radio. I tryied for example DAB-Radio app in combination with a DVB USB Stick. The sound quality was extremly(!) good, but you need a very good antenna to get a decent signal and the DAB app was very beta: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wavesink&hl=de
My second try was with a device which also was based on dab but with anohter approach: It was connected to cusp through usb and was seen by it like a flash memory device with many mp3 files. Every mp3 corresponds to a radio station. When you played it through your standard Android mp3 player (like poweramp) the box tuned the desired station and streamed the sound in mp3 format to your device. The Idea sounds so good, but one need a perfect antenna for it and zapping from one radio station to another was a mess, because precashing the data needed sometimes more than 1minute.
Now I ended up with webradio and I am very satisfied.

Tobias
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150101_221508476.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	3093033  
Last edited by tobias.s; 19th January 2015 at 03:00 AM.
6th January 2015, 03:19 PM   |  #148  

22 posts
Dear Tobias.s,

Thank you once again for your thorough response. The firmware you recommended is the best I have tried so far.
Since we mostly stream radio and music through Spotify radio is never an issue. The only times we use the built-in radio is when we are going short distances with the car, and even then the quality is really bad so mostly we just turn it off after a short while. The built-in app should be replaced with something better.

Connecting to 4g through my phone is a lot smoother through this firmware and works flawlessly. Before I had to turn on internet sharing from my phone, go in to the Wifi on the CUSP-device and it would connect. Now I just enable internet-sharing on my phone and the car connects to it.
My only complaint now is the boot up and standby which you have described a solution for. I will try it out as soon as I get a chance.

When it comes to the Steering Wheel Buttons I will have to find one of those translation boxes. It seems as if there is a lot to chose from.

Thanks once again Tobias!

Best Regards
Kalle

Quote:

Hey Kallepuk,

please download this firmware: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B0MRJ...xport=download
It is not c2014017 but c20140530 it is rooted and has as few chinese crap on it as possible.
I was mistaken, I am using exactly this firmware c20140530 on my device and it is working very stable.
I don't even know what Himarket is. Never saw that on any firmware that I've installed before on my device.

Regarding the steering wheel control SWC, I don't have any experiences with canbus driven swc's cause my car does not use it. But from what I've read in some forums, you need a box that translates the canbus swc commands to readable analogue signals that cusp unit can understand. So you got then from your car a CAN LOW and a CAN HIGH signal that enter the translation box, the exit wires are then connected to KEY1/KEY2 and GND of the cusp unit.

For the extended standby time, it is very simple: Hook a capacitor in parallel between GND and ACC(not constant battery). Add a well dimensioned diode for protection purpose in series. Check the Image in the attachment to this post.

I've searched a lot for an alternative to the radio. I tryied for example DAB-Radio app in combination with a DVB USB Stick. The sound quality was extremly(!) good, but you need a very well antenna to get good signal and the DAB app was very beta: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wavesink&hl=de
My second try was with a device which also was based on dab but with anohter approach: It was connected to cusp through usb and was seen by it like a flash memory device with many mp3 files. Every mp3 corresponds to a radio station. When you played it through your standard Android mp3 player (like poweramp) the box tuned the desired station and streamed the sound in mp3 format to your device. The Idea sounds so good, but one need a perfect antenna for it and zapping from one radio station to another was a mess, because precashing the data needed sometimes more than 1minute.
Now I ended up with webradio and I am very satisfied.

Tobias

Last edited by kallepuk; 6th January 2015 at 04:08 PM.
18th January 2015, 04:26 PM   |  #149  

1 posts
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanharb

Hi, can you send me a link of the video of adding an external mic port.
thank you

Hello,
I also made the mistake of buying the device; coud you send me the link for the external microphone video. Is someone found a compatible radio application that displays the name of the radio station?
Thanks in advance

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread