No registration required

Root Sprint S5....Step-by-Step

OP CCallahan

31st December 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #171  
Thanks Meter: 7

48 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks...and where do I flash the kernels to? AP? Do I leave the "Auto reboot" and "F Reset Time" options checked? Anything else? I haven't seen any detailed info on it here...

Curses...the kernel files that are here are .zip...Odin needs .tar. Or...am I not using Odin to flash the kernel? (Am I doing it via the stock recovery?)
Last edited by dmolavi; 31st December 2014 at 11:01 PM.
1st January 2015, 04:50 PM   |  #172  
Flag Memphis, TN
Thanks Meter: 617

1,922 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi

Thanks...and where do I flash the kernels to? AP? Do I leave the "Auto reboot" and "F Reset Time" options checked? Anything else? I haven't seen any detailed info on it here...

Curses...the kernel files that are here are .zip...Odin needs .tar. Or...am I not using Odin to flash the kernel? (Am I doing it via the stock recovery?)

Here is the NE5 and NK4 kernel to flash via odin. Unzip the kernel.zip file and there will be 2 folders, one has the NE5 tar and the other has the NK4 tar. Flash them in AP if you are using odin 3.09 or newer. You don't have to check or uncheck those options. Just use what ever odin defaults to.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kernel.zip - [Click for QR Code] (18.50 MB, 80 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to cruise350 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st January 2015, 04:53 PM   |  #173  

48 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350

Here is the NE5 and NK4 kernel to flash via odin. Unzip the kernel.zip file and there will be 2 folders, one has the NE5 tar and the other has the NK4 tar. Flash them in AP if you are using odin 3.09 or newer. You don't have to check or uncheck those options. Just use what ever odin defaults to.

Thanks..i actually found those last night and did it. One thing i noticed is that my device status is now custom instead of official. Any way to get it back to official, or does it not really matter?
1st January 2015, 04:56 PM   |  #174  
Flag Memphis, TN

1,922 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi

Thanks..i actually found those last night and did it. One thing i noticed is that my device status is now custom instead of official. Any way to get it back to official, or does it not really matter?

You rooted now so that is why it shows custom. To get back to official you would need to flash the stock tar file, but then you wouldn't be rooted anymore. You can try using the xposed framework and the wanum module to force official status. But that has never worked for me.
2nd January 2015, 02:26 AM   |  #175  

48 posts
Donate to Me
More
it's not that important, and if i ever had to take it into get serviced, i'll unroot and reflash the official firmware. it was more of a curiousity question.
19th January 2015, 08:43 PM   |  #176  
Thanks Meter: 59

172 posts
Question
Hey guys,

I am no stranger to rooting devices, but having an S5 that's not paid for yet and having to turn it in when I upgrade, I am terrified of the KNOX bit (it's new territory for me). I would love to just auto-root it and go flashaholic on it like I did with my S2, but I don't want to take the chance in a few months that they won't accept the S5 back because it's been KNOX voided.

So I just want to be sure.. Right now I have 4.4.2, towelrooted. In the last month or so, it somehow managed to flip the Status back to Official (still rooted!), and it downloaded the NK4 OTA update. Now it has been nagging me to install it.. I want to keep root, mainly for TiBu, ad blockers, and de-bloating. So what would be the best way to proceed, WITHOUT tripping KNOX?

I assume running the OTA update will remove root, but I was under the impression that towelrooted S5's wouldn't take the OTA to begin with (I definitely remember seeing the 'unauthorized mod/must update with Kies' warning when I checked for an OTA at one point) so I have no idea what changed that caused it to go back to Official status, and I have no idea how it will behave.. Is it safe to run the OTA? Is there any chance it will preserve root?

Or should I skip the OTA altogether, and just ODIN the NK4 firmware, then go back to the NE5 kernel, towelroot, and then ODIN back to the NK4 kernel?

I've read this thread, I'm just trying to make sure what I want is possible.. What I've read seems to be conflicting.. I want stock 4.4.4, with root, WITHOUT tripping KNOX..

Thanks
20th January 2015, 05:49 AM   |  #177  
Flag Memphis, TN

1,922 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz420nj

Hey guys,

I am no stranger to rooting devices, but having an S5 that's not paid for yet and having to turn it in when I upgrade, I am terrified of the KNOX bit (it's new territory for me). I would love to just auto-root it and go flashaholic on it like I did with my S2, but I don't want to take the chance in a few months that they won't accept the S5 back because it's been KNOX voided.

So I just want to be sure.. Right now I have 4.4.2, towelrooted. In the last month or so, it somehow managed to flip the Status back to Official (still rooted!), and it downloaded the NK4 OTA update. Now it has been nagging me to install it.. I want to keep root, mainly for TiBu, ad blockers, and de-bloating. So what would be the best way to proceed, WITHOUT tripping KNOX?

I assume running the OTA update will remove root, but I was under the impression that towelrooted S5's wouldn't take the OTA to begin with (I definitely remember seeing the 'unauthorized mod/must update with Kies' warning when I checked for an OTA at one point) so I have no idea what changed that caused it to go back to Official status, and I have no idea how it will behave.. Is it safe to run the OTA? Is there any chance it will preserve root?

Or should I skip the OTA altogether, and just ODIN the NK4 firmware, then go back to the NE5 kernel, towelroot, and then ODIN back to the NK4 kernel?

I've read this thread, I'm just trying to make sure what I want is possible.. What I've read seems to be conflicting.. I want stock 4.4.4, with root, WITHOUT tripping KNOX..

Thanks

One thing you can do is pay for supersu pro and check the option to preserve root through an ota and see if it works. It did on my S4. If it doesn't, you can still use towelroot on nk4. You have to odin the ne5 kernel, root with towelroot, then reinstall the nk4 kernel, install supersu and let the binary update. Then you're good to go. The whole process is done with odin so no tripping knox. The only way knox is tripped, is installing a custom recovery.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to cruise350 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2015, 01:39 AM   |  #178  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
So im having problems.

I have a Sprint S5, tried initially using the Philz method and it says it passes but when i reboot the phone into recovery mode its the standard android recovery. So then i tried the Auto-Root methods, various versions and when it reboots i just get stuck in the Recovery Booting mode and have to pull the battery to get it back into downloading mode.

Thanksfully i figured out if i go back to the older tool and flash the Philz again i can atleast get my phone back to a working state, but no matter what I do i cant seem to get this stupid thing rooted.

Any help? Has Sprint/Google pushed something that makes these instructions obsolete?

If it matters this is my info
Software version
G900PVPU1ANE5
Hardware Version G900P.04
Model Number SMG900P
Android Version 4.4.2
Baseband Version G900PVPU1ANE5
Kernel Version
3.4.0-1750661
dpi@SWDD6020 #1
Build Number KOT49H.G900PVPU1ANE5

Really want to get this working asap so i can use my phone as a hotspot, where i am has really slow internet(throttled) but i can get 30Mbps over LTE.
Last edited by arsenic0; 21st January 2015 at 01:44 AM.
21st January 2015, 02:40 AM   |  #179  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 2,913

2,814 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0

So im having problems.

I have a Sprint S5, tried initially using the Philz method and it says it passes but when i reboot the phone into recovery mode its the standard android recovery. So then i tried the Auto-Root methods, various versions and when it reboots i just get stuck in the Recovery Booting mode and have to pull the battery to get it back into downloading mode.

Thanksfully i figured out if i go back to the older tool and flash the Philz again i can atleast get my phone back to a working state, but no matter what I do i cant seem to get this stupid thing rooted.

Any help? Has Sprint/Google pushed something that makes these instructions obsolete?

If it matters this is my info
Software version
G900PVPU1ANE5
Hardware Version G900P.04
Model Number SMG900P
Android Version 4.4.2
Baseband Version G900PVPU1ANE5
Kernel Version
3.4.0-1750661
dpi@SWDD6020 #1
Build Number KOT49H.G900PVPU1ANE5

Really want to get this working asap so i can use my phone as a hotspot, where i am has really slow internet(throttled) but i can get 30Mbps over LTE.

You're on NE5, so just use towelroot. Easy cheesy

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
21st January 2015, 08:20 PM   |  #180  
Thanks Meter: 59

172 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350

One thing you can do is pay for supersu pro and check the option to preserve root through an ota and see if it works. It did on my S4. If it doesn't, you can still use towelroot on nk4. You have to odin the ne5 kernel, root with towelroot, then reinstall the nk4 kernel, install supersu and let the binary update. Then you're good to go. The whole process is done with odin so no tripping knox. The only way knox is tripped, is installing a custom recovery.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Well that was unspectacular.. The OTA fails when I try it, so I'm going to have to just ODIN the update anyway. Thanks for the tip on supersu pro though, I didn't even see that preserve root option!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread