[GUIDE] How to decompile/compile apks with ApkManager 2/26/14

OP The Sickness

22nd January 2015, 07:20 PM   |  #101  
Recognized Contributor
ocala
Thanks Meter: 3,226

3,409 posts
Donate to Me
@TheSickness knows his stuff! His guides and help has been invaluable! Thanks to him for all his help!
My first attempt at a theme [emoji4]

Spoiler
The Following User Says Thank You to jds3118 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd January 2015, 11:23 PM   |  #102  
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
Ok. Going through this more is really confusing me.

So I found the Smali file I needed to edit, as I explained in my last post. I edited it.

I didn't need to extract anything from the classes.dex, as all the smali files seem to have been extracted when I decompiled the systemui.apk. But when I go into the keep folder to remove the files I edited, all I see is a classes.dex file. How can I remove the one smali file I edited, if it's already inside a bigger dex file?

Can you see where I'm a bit confused between your two tutorials? I know I'm close. I'm just confused.

Thanks again for your help.
22nd January 2015, 11:36 PM   |  #103  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Somewhere in Texas
Thanks Meter: 12,858

5,812 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid Divide

Thanks. Would I be able to edit them in Notepad ++?

I used notepad's "Find in Files" search to find the value I wanted to edit, it was able to find it in the smali file.

(I've been trying to change "THE SICKNESS" seen in the pulldown bar to something else. When I searched, the only result was found here: SystemUI.apk\smali\com\android\systemui\statusbar\ policy\NetworkController.smali)
Not trying to remove credit for your work, of course. Just trying to make it my own. You understand, I'm sure.

Or would you say the method listed in your tutorial to be the best for editing this?

Thanks again!

Yes you must use Note Pad++.

And I believe that's the correct smali.

You can mod my rom to your liking. Just as long as it's for you and not posted
The Following User Says Thank You to The Sickness For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2015, 01:36 AM   |  #104  

16 posts
STILL having problems. Since I wasn't actually modding any XML files, I started over with your Smali tutorial, got my values changed, put the new classes.dex file in the apk and put it back on my phone.

But I kept getting errors that systemui.apk had stopped. Even after managing to get into my root explorer and changing the permissions back to 0644 and restarting my phone.

Clearly I'm missing something here. Also, if I were decompiling and recompiling the systemui.apk, how would I incorporate smali edits into that? Your tutorial, doesn't really make that clear.

Help? Thanks.
23rd January 2015, 02:56 AM   |  #105  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Somewhere in Texas
Thanks Meter: 12,858

5,812 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid Divide

Ok. Going through this more is really confusing me.

So I found the Smali file I needed to edit, as I explained in my last post. I edited it.

I didn't need to extract anything from the classes.dex, as all the smali files seem to have been extracted when I decompiled the systemui.apk. But when I go into the keep folder to remove the files I edited, all I see is a classes.dex file. How can I remove the one smali file I edited, if it's already inside a bigger dex file?

Can you see where I'm a bit confused between your two tutorials? I know I'm close. I'm just confused.

Thanks again for your help.

Smali edits will not be in the "keep" folder. If, and I say IF all you do is edit smali, just recompile.

Smali can be edited with ApkManager and the program in my guide.
Using the program requires that you use 7Zip to get the class.dex, and you the program to edit the smali.....

Easiest way is to just use ApkManager.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Sickness For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2015, 06:50 PM   |  #106  

16 posts
I've noticed that after I recompile the apk, when I open it up in 7zip, there is a resources.arsc file there. Even if I deleted it previously. Is this normal?

Do I keep it? Or delete it?

EDIT: Nevermind! It works now! Yay!
Thank you for all your help!

EDIT 2: It is still working, but I've noticed that with just that one edit, the file size has gone down from 9.8 MB to 7.9 MB. That CAN'T be normal, can it?
Last edited by Hybrid Divide; 23rd January 2015 at 07:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hybrid Divide For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread