Ask a question

No registration required

[ROOT KERNEL FOR TowelRoot] Tab Pro 8.4, 10.1

OP RavenY2K3

15th January 2015, 08:27 AM   |  #251  
Thanks Meter: 136

750 posts
More
Thanks for bringing up the easy .tar creation bat utility! Did not know about that. That'll help anyone who isn't on the more commonly found kernels listed in the forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to waylo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2015, 03:48 AM   |  #252  
Thanks Meter: 3

23 posts
More
Has anybody ended up with apps missing after doing the TR method with this tablet? I'm seeing 3 system apps missing in titanium backup, didn't realize until now, my SVoice isn't working (I rarely use it so no big heartache there).

Now missing:
Media
Imsqmisocket
Stock voice recorder
24th January 2015, 01:25 AM   |  #253  
Thanks Meter: 2

36 posts

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo

Glad you found it useful!

Actually, if I had to do it over again, I would probably do it the way I am going to describe below, as I am stuck on the G1 build for now, and upgrading to the K1 build rooted will require backing up and redoing many things. The K1 build supposedly has some added benefits (? faster wifi, better auto-dimming). I've only had it a few days and don't have any problems with G1 so I'll stick with it for now. Discussion on the newer K1 is here http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...rsion-t2952355

1. Let the OTA update upgrade you from G1 to K1.
2. Power down the tablet. Then boot your tablet into download mode (power on while holding volume down). Using ODIN 3.09 or higher, take the TR Rootable Kernel from the first post here, and place it in the AP slot. Earlier versions will call that slot PDA. I think it will still work regardless of Odin version.
3. Boot back into Android. Check that the kernel is 3.4.0-1263708 with an April 2014 build.
4. Then run towelroot. It should say it was successful. Install supersu to manage root privileges. It will ask if you want to disable Knox. Some/many people have had issues with reboots if they elect to do this, so I've selected NEVER.
5. Go back into download mode, and restore the K1 kernel. It should be available http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...mware-t2954549

The whole point of using towelroot is that it will not trip the Knox e-fuse. You're limited to just having root on the stock Touchwiz rom though.

Knox if fairly annoying and will continue to bug you for doing advanced root-related things. I installed xposed and Wanam, and one of the options in Wanam is to turn off the Knox annoyances.

Does the TR Rootable Kernel need to be extracted/unzipped first?
Thanks for the detailed write up.
24th January 2015, 04:05 AM   |  #254  
Thanks Meter: 136

750 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rzz187

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Does the TR Rootable Kernel need to be extracted/unzipped first?
Thanks for the detailed write up.

No. It comes in .tar format which is how Odin will read it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread