Third Party DIY Nexus 10 Internal Battery Replace & Review

OP Avuton Olrich

8th January 2015, 10:08 PM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Dwyer

Hi Kevin,

Who did you order the second battery from?
Let us know how it performs after a few cycles.

Pete.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Ignore my question, just re read your post

Will do, having some trouble, but I think it may be a calibration issue. About 15 minutes after my post, the unit shut down, and didn't seem to charge while on. I unplugged it and kept turning it back on without the charger on until the battery was completely dead. I then left the charger on all night, and this morning it charged t0 100%. In have been streaming a 8gb 1080p mkv movies over the wifi lan. Currently at 3 hrs 20 min with 38% battery left.

I don't yet know if the charging while running is still an issuor not as i want to run it down to zero first, I'll report back as soon as i know more.

Kevin
11th January 2015, 10:20 PM   |  #52  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
If there are no other options, one can also use an external battery pack.
13th January 2015, 01:25 AM   |  #53  
Thanks Meter: 5

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M

I just ordered a battery from them. There was no shipping charge. The listing States 'New' and more than 200 available. . They accept PayPal. The exchange rate must be a bit different today, the cost was $38 and change.

When it (if?) arrives, I will report back on how it looks and how long shipping takes.

I've used my tablet heavily since new (Nov '12) and am starting to see some battery life fall off. It is starting the sudden shutoff at 15% so figured it is time to prepare for further decline. I may not install the replacement until battery life is less than a days use though.

Did the battery arrived? Looking at their page, it looks like a Cameron Sino one and not a used "genuine" Samsung battery. I have sent them a message asking them about the battery, but it would be great to know your impressions about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Eko

If there are no other options, one can also use an external battery pack.

I was just thinking about that, too. It would be kind of a last resource, though. A Nexus 10 with a 10000mAh battery pack taped to its back would be ok as a portable TV, but too bulky as a tablet.

Also, browsing through battery sites, I got another idea: the batteries for the Note 10 look awfully similar to the ones inside our N10s. The connector looks just the same and the size looks similar (probably won't fit, though, but one for a smaller tablet might). Has anybody tried to install one of those?
Last edited by tarbos00; 13th January 2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Avoiding multiple posts and grammar
13th January 2015, 05:57 AM   |  #54  
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbos00

Did the battery arrived? Looking at their page, it looks like a Cameron Sino one and not a used "genuine" Samsung battery. I have sent them a message asking them about the battery, but it would be great to know your impressions about it.

I was just thinking about that, too. It would be kind of a last resource, though. A Nexus 10 with a 10000mAh battery pack taped to its back would be ok as a portable TV, but too bulky as a tablet.

Also, browsing through battery sites, I got another idea: the batteries for the Note 10 look awfully similar to the ones inside our N10s. The connector looks just the same and the size looks similar (probably won't fit, though, but one for a smaller tablet might). Has anybody tried to install one of those?

The battery arrived today. It is a Samsung battery. It appears used, as the mounting ears have evidence of having been screwed down (paint has circular scratches). The date on the battery 2013.01.17. So, two years old already. There is a upc sticker on the battery that has text indicating it was in a 32 gb machine. I have not installed it yet, and may not bother. The batt in my Nx10 is still giving about 4 or 5 hours of screen on time, and my guess is that the "new" battery is probably not any better than the one in my Nx10
The Following User Says Thank You to Dale M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2015, 06:58 PM   |  #55  
Thanks Meter: 5

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M

The battery arrived today. It is a Samsung battery. It appears used, as the mounting ears have evidence of having been screwed down (paint has circular scratches). The date on the battery 2013.01.17. So, two years old already. There is a upc sticker on the battery that has text indicating it was in a 32 gb machine. I have not installed it yet, and may not bother. The batt in my Nx10 is still giving about 4 or 5 hours of screen on time, and my guess is that the "new" battery is probably not any better than the one in my Nx10

Damn. Thanks for the info.
27th January 2015, 12:24 AM   |  #56  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by esprout

Looks like that vendor has sold out now, and you got lucky. I ordered one from aliexpress that was pretty much DOA. It had power when I received it, but after it charged down, it refuses to take a charge now, going immediately to 100% charged and then dies when you unplug it.

I wanted to follow up with my aliexpress experience. The vendor's customer service was quite bad, and after escalating a dispute, aliexpress has finally agreed to a full refund without a return after some 3 months (original order date was 10/28/2014, and item arrived 11/10/2014. The link for this bad product is: snapshot/6308095961.html?orderId=64326973131926 (add www dot aliexpress dot com to beginning)

If you click current product (/item/3-7v-9000mah-li-ion-batteries-For-Google-Nexus-10-for-samsung-GT-P8110-SP3496A8H/1981647058.html), you'll see some negative reviews now. When I ordered back in October 2014, there were no negative reviews.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by esprout

Based on your experience, I did an ebay search for the part number SP3496A8H and ordered 2 from the vendor 2010daydream for $51.70 including shipping. Wish me luck!

Item link (add www dot ebay dot com to the front)

/itm/201221845839

A follow up on my great ebay experience. I tested the two batteries, and one charges up to 96%, while the other charges up to 84%. I was able to get a partial refund from the vendor due to the batteries not working to brand new spec, and the vendor's response was prompt and trouble free. So I'd highly recommend 2010daydream on ebay as a reputable seller.

Both batteries after initial charge up was stuck at 100% during discharge. After a complete discharge, the next charge showed correct battery levels. I believe this is due to nexus 10 bad battery controller implementation (which also doesn't properly account for lowered battery capacity thus showing the instant X% to 0% discharge we see with an old battery).

The vendor has sold out of this battery, although I see other vendors on ebay selling the item when you search for SP3496A8H. I've kept the 84% battery in my nexus 10 keeping it charged at between 20-70% to prolong battery life. The 96% battery was discharged to 40% and put in my fridge for storage.

I also created a spreadsheet to map displayed charge level % to real % based on an offset. You can view this sheet and make a copy to edit here: /spreadsheets/d/1j14r80aE3EVTX26qBt_kYo49JQBDgiXFMISifsL_UgI/edit?usp=sharing (add https:// docs dot google dot com to the beginning)
The Following User Says Thank You to esprout For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread