[POLL] AOSP or GPE or Sense on the HTC One M8

OP krazie1

23rd January 2015, 01:41 PM   |  #301  
Thanks Meter: 181

822 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-V

lol...yeah...i know what you mean..and its true...yes...and im one of the devs who made sense rom for ages..the last good sense versions you will find in the picture...the thing is in the past..sense was like a extreme modification..for example you saw a big clock if you have an alarm....and other things...now we have the opposite....did you compare the alarm lockscreen or the incoming call lockscreen from sense and gpe...the sense is to simple for me....i hope for sense 7

btw...you can have a working htc blinkfeed launcher, camera and gallery...ah also the htc ime on gpe if you want...

there is one more part....it have to do with the files and how you use it....for example..why i have an extra htc backup...while theres allready a google backup....and such things

Brings back memories to the good old HTC Desire days where s-off was easily obtain and custom roms were good! After which your One X kernel that gained you quite a few followers

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

After trying out lollipop with sense on top I doubt I will go back to GPE or CM for the time being... Though the rom I'm using now gets me enough battery to last 2 days in school easily with medium to light usages... But I don't like parts of the rom itself. In comparison of GPE lollipop to lollipop sense, there's a big major difference.

First and foremost, the animations!
In GPE, whether is it the dialer, app menu, quick settings; there tends to be animations throughout, beautifully designed to make user that the users will see it (if you're observant enough :P) while on Lollipop Sense, the animations are way lesser. Dialer, nah! Still sense 6 dialers with no animations. App drawer, don't think about animations until sense 7 is out. Quick Settings though nice and useful since we are allowed to add and remove quicksettings but it just doesn't look as much neat and sleek as what is on GPE.

After which, is the battery life.
In terms of battery life, most users will know that Sense will definitely be the winner here. On Sense Lollipop rom, I can easily get 35hrs of standby, 6hrs of SOT with 2hrs of phone call. But on GPE, not so! Even with minimal usage, I can only squeeze out 30hrs of standby, 5hrs of SOT and around 1.5hr of phone calls. To make the stats fair in this case, the setup of the phone, the apps installed are the same. And thus the obvious winner here will be sense lollipop.

Lastly, is the User Interface.
To me, using GPE makes me feel that my M8 isn't an M8 anymore but more of a nexus with some of the M8's goodies :P When I yearn for a stock android experience, GPE is the way for me! CM isn't on the list until the builds starts having no issues as bugs are constantly affecting the CM buids. As for sense, though sleek and fast but I won't deny that it's less appealing to GPE.

In conclusion, I'm going to stick with lollipop sense.
Simple reason, sense camera and battery life. I can get similar camera experience on GPE but the battery life is a must for me as I'm always away from the charger for a long period of time and I don't have a portable charger with me so the rom that gives me the best battery is what I will side with
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobbi lim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2015, 02:45 PM   |  #302  
Flag Braga
Thanks Meter: 83

941 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi lim

Brings back memories to the good old HTC Desire days where s-off was easily obtain and custom roms were good! After which your One X kernel that gained you quite a few followers

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

After trying out lollipop with sense on top I doubt I will go back to GPE or CM for the time being... Though the rom I'm using now gets me enough battery to last 2 days in school easily with medium to light usages... But I don't like parts of the rom itself. In comparison of GPE lollipop to lollipop sense, there's a big major difference.

First and foremost, the animations!
In GPE, whether is it the dialer, app menu, quick settings; there tends to be animations throughout, beautifully designed to make user that the users will see it (if you're observant enough [emoji14]) while on Lollipop Sense, the animations are way lesser. Dialer, nah! Still sense 6 dialers with no animations. App drawer, don't think about animations until sense 7 is out. Quick Settings though nice and useful since we are allowed to add and remove quicksettings but it just doesn't look as much neat and sleek as what is on GPE.

After which, is the battery life.
In terms of battery life, most users will know that Sense will definitely be the winner here. On Sense Lollipop rom, I can easily get 35hrs of standby, 6hrs of SOT with 2hrs of phone call. But on GPE, not so! Even with minimal usage, I can only squeeze out 30hrs of standby, 5hrs of SOT and around 1.5hr of phone calls. To make the stats fair in this case, the setup of the phone, the apps installed are the same. And thus the obvious winner here will be sense lollipop.

Lastly, is the User Interface.
To me, using GPE makes me feel that my M8 isn't an M8 anymore but more of a nexus with some of the M8's goodies [emoji14] When I yearn for a stock android experience, GPE is the way for me! CM isn't on the list until the builds starts having no issues as bugs are constantly affecting the CM buids. As for sense, though sleek and fast but I won't deny that it's less appealing to GPE.

In conclusion, I'm going to stick with lollipop sense.
Simple reason, sense camera and battery life. I can get similar camera experience on GPE but the battery life is a must for me as I'm always away from the charger for a long period of time and I don't have a portable charger with me so the rom that gives me the best battery is what I will side with

Thanks for your input, M8!
23rd January 2015, 05:33 PM   |  #303  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 925

2,487 posts
More
The camera is better on Sense but for someone like me who doesn't put every meal I eat on instagram, it's not a huge difference. Sure it's basic but face fusion, adding little snow flakes, i'm sure some people love that stuff but I don't need that at all.

The two things that always make me go back to GPE after a few days is the dialer (yes it's possible to have it on sense but I want to be stock) and the ugly notification icons. Wifi is okay but the 3g/4g/gps icons are horrible.
Yesterday, 03:03 PM   |  #304  
Flag Ottawa

2,487 posts
More
I still can't decide and it's because I'm getting annoying glitches with Sense even with the RUU. Frequent WIFI disconnects and MMS/SMS delays are really annoying. I have WIFI everywhere I go so I have a data plan that is rather slim, so if my phone disconnects from WiFi, I'm wasting my data and I really don't like that. I have Bluetooth skipping on both if WIFI is enabled

GPE, no glitches, looks much better but battery life is not quite the same, camera can't save to SD card (why is it missing such a simple feature), but I think it's the flavor that gives me the most confidence the phone is working perfectly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nic2112 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 11:12 PM   |  #305  
Flag Devonport
Thanks Meter: 79

234 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic2112

I still can't decide and it's because I'm getting annoying glitches with Sense even with the RUU. Frequent WIFI disconnects and MMS/SMS delays are really annoying. I have WIFI everywhere I go so I have a data plan that is rather slim, so if my phone disconnects from WiFi, I'm wasting my data and I really don't like that. I have Bluetooth skipping on both if WIFI is enabled

GPE, no glitches, looks much better but battery life is not quite the same, camera can't save to SD card (why is it missing such a simple feature), but I think it's the flavor that gives me the most confidence the phone is working perfectly.

I'm having neither of those issues, wondering what's going wrong for you?

I'm now happy on 5.0 with Sense, good camera, audio quality, best battery life. I often consider converting back to GPE but then convince myself it isn't worth it. Plus with 5.0.1 GPE, I had issues with my Fitbit and Bluetooth. Have yet to have those issues on Sense.
Today, 12:11 AM   |  #306  
Flag Ottawa

2,487 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaBishi

I'm having neither of those issues, wondering what's going wrong for you?

I'm now happy on 5.0 with Sense, good camera, audio quality, best battery life. I often consider converting back to GPE but then convince myself it isn't worth it. Plus with 5.0.1 GPE, I had issues with my Fitbit and Bluetooth. Have yet to have those issues on Sense.

I think the WIFI issues are because at work the SSID doesn't broadcast. I saw today that GPE does the same thing, it disconnects and reconnects often. Definitely not a problem I had on 4.4.4 Sense or GPE.

It's the notification icons that make me want to convert back to GPE, they are big and ugly on Sense but with Nova at least I can hide them
Today, 12:44 AM   |  #307  
Flag Devonport
Thanks Meter: 79

234 posts
More
Quote:

I think the WIFI issues are because at work the SSID doesn't broadcast. I saw today that GPE does the same thing, it disconnects and reconnects often. Definitely not a problem I had on 4.4.4 Sense or GPE.

It's the notification icons that make me want to convert back to GPE, they are big and ugly on Sense but with Nova at least I can hide them

They don't bother me all that much. Only one that bothers me is Boomsound and NFC icons. But the ROM I'm using (Android Revolution) hides the NFC icon which is nice.
Today, 01:44 AM   |  #308  
Flag Ottawa

2,487 posts
More
Quote:

I think my problem is that I don't give Sense a long enough trial before switching back. Sure it's missing some of the animations and there are things that are ugly like the dialer, the quick settings are not quite as nice, but there are great things too like changing the font, lock screen wallpaper, camera, sound, battery ect... Thankfully I don't use NFC so I don't have to stare at that thing!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread