Guide me do what?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using XDA Free mobile app

Did you root your phone?
20th January 2015, 12:59 AM   |  #132  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
thanks for sharing!
Hello all,
thanks very much to andu86 for this thread! Followed the simple instructions and successfully rooted S4 mini

My original firmware: I9195XXUCNK1_I9195XEOCNI1_XEO
1. Flashed kernel for I9195XXUCNF7 (from andu86) with Odin
2. ran towelroot & Superuser(note: towelroot initially did not install due to interference from Twilight app)
3. Flashed back to kernel for I9195XXUCNK1 (from andu86)
One small note: after flashing back to new kernel after rooting, System Status was initially listed as Custom - rebooted again and it was listed as Official!?

I guess I lose root if I ever update OTA or if I flash a newer (official) firmware with Odin?
What are the differences between the I9195XXUCNK1 and I9195XXUCNK4 firmwares??
20th January 2015, 08:29 AM   |  #133  

6 posts
Update: Device Status is now stuck on Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilli.amu

Hello all,
thanks very much to andu86 for this thread! Followed the simple instructions and successfully rooted S4 mini

My original firmware: I9195XXUCNK1_I9195XEOCNI1_XEO
1. Flashed kernel for I9195XXUCNF7 (from andu86) with Odin
2. ran towelroot & Superuser(note: towelroot initially did not install due to interference from Twilight app)
3. Flashed back to kernel for I9195XXUCNK1 (from andu86)
One small note: after flashing back to new kernel after rooting, System Status was initially listed as Custom - rebooted again and it was listed as Official!?

I guess I lose root if I ever update OTA or if I flash a newer (official) firmware with Odin?
What are the differences between the I9195XXUCNK1 and I9195XXUCNK4 firmwares??

Update:
Device Status is now stuck on Custom (have tried rebooting, restarting, removing battery, removing SDcard)
Is this now due to SuperuserSU or Towelroot or ..?
Should I factory reset and try the process again??
21st January 2015, 12:19 PM   |  #134  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 42

150 posts
More
Quote:

Update:
Device Status is now stuck on Custom (have tried rebooting, restarting, removing battery, removing SDcard)

well you can't have them all ... be glad that your knox was not triggerd, device status doesn't matter
Last edited by andu86; 21st January 2015 at 10:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to andu86 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2015, 12:41 PM   |  #135  
Flag Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 241

1,411 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andu86

we'll you can't have them all ... be glad that you knox what not triggerd, device status doesn't matter

I wonder how the device status "custom" is actually derived from the system and which process is setting this. From observation it could be that any change to the \system partition triggers this - and since getting "root" means to install the "su binary" on system there is no way around the system status "custom" when you are root. Once getting back to all official parts (un-root may not be enough if you did some de-bloating or applied tweaks renaming e.g. some sound files) - the device status is also back to official.

I have observed that Screen sharing (from device to TV) and especially the SmartView app (connecting Samsung TV to your device and have it stream TV to your device) is suffering if your device is not "really" official. As I understand this is linked to enforced encryption on the HDCP interface (due to copyright protection). This is also different for devices. While the screen sharing works on S4 mini (even rooted), it does no more on my Tab 3 8 after rooting. Smart View TV stream reception does not work for any of my rooted devices (also not the Tab 2 7 - which has no screen sharing) - I neither use custom kernel (except Tab 2 7) nor custom ROM.

Knox seems to be triggered once you install anything without valid signature (kernel, system, recovery) and this is not reset even if you revert to that state.
27th January 2015, 03:17 AM   |  #136  
Flag Jalisco

1 posts
More
Works on Verizon S4 Mini (SGH-I435)
OMG Towelroot works on my verizon S4 mini, running 4.4.2
27th January 2015, 01:41 PM   |  #137  

12 posts
Busybox question
Hi, and big thanks for this post which helped me achieve root on my i9195 !!

My problem is I'm not able to install Busybox.. While in the app and pressing "Install"-button it says "unable to verify wheter or not certain utilities needed for this..."

I've already installed Xposed and titanium backup fyi. I heard about installing Busybox through TB but couldn't find the option when pressing the "problems?"-button.

Does anyone know about any solution? It'd be much appreciated!

Thanks
Yesterday, 05:32 PM   |  #138  
Thanks Meter: 3

17 posts
More
Quote:

Update:

I can confirm that the device status stays official after towelroot, and only changes after SuperSU (and BusyBox, I guess). Thanks to D4nielC (and thealliens and tobbie for pointing it out) there is apparently a method for changing back to the official status after root (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3742), but I haven't personally tested yet, so feel free to verify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbbie

I wonder how the device status "custom" is actually derived from the system and which process is setting this. From observation it could be that any change to the \system partition triggers this - and since getting "root" means to install the "su binary" on system there is no way around the system status "custom" when you are root. Once getting back to all official parts (un-root may not be enough if you did some de-bloating or applied tweaks renaming e.g. some sound files) - the device status is also back to official.

I have observed that Screen sharing (from device to TV) and especially the SmartView app (connecting Samsung TV to your device and have it stream TV to your device) is suffering if your device is not "really" official. As I understand this is linked to enforced encryption on the HDCP interface (due to copyright protection). This is also different for devices. While the screen sharing works on S4 mini (even rooted), it does no more on my Tab 3 8 after rooting. Smart View TV stream reception does not work for any of my rooted devices (also not the Tab 2 7 - which has no screen sharing) - I neither use custom kernel (except Tab 2 7) nor custom ROM.

Knox seems to be triggered once you install anything without valid signature (kernel, system, recovery) and this is not reset even if you revert to that state.

I read here somewhere (not sure where though), that the phone encryption is the one thing that cannot work properly after rooting the phone, and that the workaround is to encrypt the phone before rooting. Since there is enforced encryption on the HDCP interface, as you stated, then it probably is related and your logic is sound.

Edit: Is there any possibility that the encryption mechanism is linked to the system status? Could this be the preventive check for it? Or am I asking something dumb?
Last edited by Alchemius; Yesterday at 05:45 PM. Reason: Additional question

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread