Kitkat killed battery life

Search This thread

dlang123

Jul 6, 2011
iPad had 11 days on Standby, 12 hours in use supposedly since last charge. And is at 60% battery.. screw this.. Ordering an iPad.

truecolors123

May 23, 2013
Thanks for this thread and everyone's inputs, I've learned that the US firmware did shorten my P600 battery life to a maximum of 6hrs screen time, with GPS off and power saving on. After flashing the UK firmware stock, it now reaches 9hrs of screen time with heavy use (mostly youtube & web surfing). The standby drop in battery is also significant less, and it should get better when the software sets in as some users reported. Right now I'm happy with the tablet with GPS and Wifi turned on 24/7.

The best part is when I flash UK stock fw via Odin 3.09 and didn't do a factory reset later, every personal apps, data and settings are kept intact so I didn't have to set my tablet up again. Some would suggest a factory reset right after flashing stock fw to be sure, but I'm happy where I'm at now, I won't ask for more. Hope you all will find the same or better experience.

M7md3li

Jan 3, 2015
Thanks for this thread and everyone's inputs, I've learned that the US firmware did shorten my P600 battery life to a maximum of 6hrs screen time, with GPS off and power saving on. After flashing the UK firmware stock, it now reaches 9hrs of screen time with heavy use (mostly youtube & web surfing). The standby drop in battery is also significant less, and it should get better when the software sets in as some users reported. Right now I'm happy with the tablet with GPS and Wifi turned on 24/7.

The best part is when I flash UK stock fw via Odin 3.09 and didn't do a factory reset later, every personal apps, data and settings are kept intact so I didn't have to set my tablet up again. Some would suggest a factory reset right after flashing stock fw to be sure, but I'm happy where I'm at now, I won't ask for more. Hope you all will find the same or better experience.

Can you post a link of the uk firmware for sm-p601 , or the one you use ?

truecolors123

May 23, 2013
Can you post a link of the uk firmware for sm-p601 , or the one you use ?

I can't speak for the 3G version P601 but you can find the firmwares from all countries here http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SM-P601. Hover the mouse over the region abbreviation to know which country it's from.

Also, be aware that each region may have different regulation on wireless bands. So for example after flashing the UK firmware on my US p600, I can't detect the 5ghz wifi channels from 149 and above, but those below would be fine. Just wanna point out because some people think the fw messes up their wifi.

Reactions: M7md3li

dorsefrith

Oct 10, 2011
Hello.
I use 4.4.2 (XEO - Poland) on my P605 and my battery is holding 2 days. I play Little Empire a lot on it and 24/7 gmail synchro + some web browse with LTE almost instant on.
Currently 20% of battery left. Using 2 days 1h
Screen - 2g 15 minutes.

Best Regards.

Last edited:

deathshead

Aug 8, 2010
iPad had 11 days on Standby, 12 hours in use supposedly since last charge. And is at 60% battery.. screw this.. Ordering an iPad.

I reluctantly have to 100% agree.. My kids "battery abused" launch day ipad 2 runs circles around the 10.1 2014, the goddamm thing is
CONSTANTLY dead.. like 2hrs and change dead with a kid playing farmville.

dlang123

Jul 6, 2011
I reluctantly have to 100% agree.. My kids "battery abused" launch day ipad 2 runs circles around the 10.1 2014, the goddamm thing is
CONSTANTLY dead.. like 2hrs and change dead with a kid playing farmville.

Ordered an iPad Air 2 for Christmas, and kept the 10.1 2014 as well. Even after factory reset on the 10.1 2014, and nothing really installed and setup much, the iPad still runs circles around the Note. Even have some geofencing rules setup on the iPad that hits the GPS, and it still easily lasts me a week. The Note won't hold a charge for 3days with me not touching it, went to do something on it after I had pulled the charger like 2 days later, and it was dead. I swear it use to not be this bad.

Selniats

Aug 20, 2013
Don't know how, but...

Only 1 minute and a half of screen use.

cheers!

Enviado desde mi SM-P600 mediante Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422536773177.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422536773177.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 556
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422536808011.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422536808011.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 580

dlang123

Jul 6, 2011
Finally

Did another factory reset, with nothing installed, and this time the battery seems to be behaving. Haven't really started using it yet, but I was losing 35% per day just idling. Now it appears to have straightened out some.

Attachments

• 2015-04-28.jpg
    2015-04-28.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 217

justmeyaya

Apr 24, 2012
I used to have a terrible battery life when on Stock rom KK. Now that I use a custom Rom 5.1.1, I can clearly see the difference: on stock, it would last one day, on custom it can last at least 3 days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I agree the battery has taken a hit. I used to ave about 9hrs of screen on time, now about 6hrs. I also have the chromecast issue. Strange thing is that sometimes the screen doesnt even show up In the battery stats. Sometimes the usage time doesnt change when it shows in battery stats. I am stock, 32gb white US model updated with Kies. I have done many factory resets. I have tried it for 2 days without installing any apps or disabling any samsung bloat, with no change in the tablest behavior.

Kitkat sent my note into fits. Battery life was terribly erratic at first. Dropping 30% in an hour, then suddenly jumping back up by 10%.

I tried factory reset.... nothing changed. Then I used the Battery Callibration app from playstore. Ran it and followed instructions exactly. (Waited til it was charged 100%, then run the program, then completely drain battery, then let it charge continuously back up to 100%).

Go figure............ since then things have calmed down and I am getting the same battery life as on my old Jellybeans note. (I know, because I've got two of these tablets and literally compared them side by side.)

Or, it could also be that after firmware upgrade things need a bit of time to settle down. Hope this helps.

Barbara
    4.4 in and of itself isn't causing poorer battery life. In fact, owners of other devices are reporting improvements. The Exynos N3 for example. There aren't any battery life issue threads on the Pro forums and they have the same h/w and we're most likely using their 4.4 drivers and kernel. There are threads like this in every device forum when an Android version upgrade is released. It's almost always due to a bad flash or a rogue app or service. That and older apps that haven't been updated in ions and aren't playing well with the new OS. People here have reported shorter charging time and longer battery life. So what's being discussed isn't universal. I'd suggest doing a stock recovery and reviewing older apps and those that aren't developed by known and larger developers.
    KitKat didn't kill battery life. Mine is about the same as it was before KitKat. In about 99.999% of the time an app is to blame. I have a simple but arduous method to find the app that's killing your battery.
    I have a Shield and S4 too. For every poster raving, there seems an opposite view on battery life and the SD card issue.

The SD issue makes battery life debates moot. Google has an Apple wannabe syndrome. Perhaps they will rebrand as Goople.
    Factory reset and see if it still happens. A dirty flash can do weird stuff...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk