[discontinued][APP][2.2+] Velis auto brightness 5.00

Search This thread

velis74

Mar 12, 2010
Radovljica
Any chance for a tibu backup? I'm suspecting corrupt settings and i'd be glad if I could see what they look like on such stuck phone.

velis74

Mar 12, 2010
Radovljica

willowpc

Jul 22, 2013
Linhares
@velis74 Hey brother, on Galaxy Note 4, when i go outside with a high sun light, the automatic mode put my brightness at something like 750 nits, and i can reach at this level just with automatic mode, it's impossible to get with manual mode (the max brightness with manual level its something between 430~450 nits) , so, this is a very useful tool and makes the screen very visible at sun light. it's possible to reach at this brightness level with your app ?

Sorry for bad english, thanks so much !

Adrianrff

Sep 28, 2014
Caracas
What Android version?

Any chance you have screen touch enabled with a really long timeout? Or brightness change sensitivity set high? I can't replicate issue an any of my devices.

I'm running 5.0.1. Screen timeout is set to 30 seconds and brightness change sensitivity was set to 5, I changed it to 10 but still no response.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

kantjer

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2010
www.androidfilehost.com
Latest version is also non working on my OnePlusOne running SlimSaber (LP)
Velis doesn't give a sensor reading at all.

The sensor itself is working, both native AB and other AB apps are working.

Last edited:

velis74

Mar 12, 2010
Radovljica
TB copy on your mail.
Same here, after some time, Velis stops responding. Just upgraded and no settings changed.
I'm running 5.0.1. Screen timeout is set to 30 seconds and brightness change sensitivity was set to 5, I changed it to 10 but still no response.
Latest version is also non working on my OnePlusOne running SlimSaber (LP) Velis doesn't give a sensor reading at all.
The sensor itself is working, both native AB and other AB apps are working.

OK, I'll skip all the nasty words that come to mind right now :crying:
I would appreciate a logcat @ level 9 from screen on to the point when you discover that app isn't responding.
Also, does clearing app data help?
Edit: @karol1981: thanks for the tibu, but unfortunately it has shown nothing. The settings look perfectly fine.

@velis74 Hey brother, on Galaxy Note 4, when i go outside with a high sun light, the automatic mode put my brightness at something like 750 nits, and i can reach at this level just with automatic mode, it's impossible to get with manual mode (the max brightness with manual level its something between 430~450 nits) , so, this is a very useful tool and makes the screen very visible at sun light. it's possible to reach at this brightness level with your app ?

No, unfortunately VAB doesn't know how to do that. If you find a thread where it's described how to achieve this, I could look into it.

Last edited:

kantjer

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2010
www.androidfilehost.com
OK, I'll skip all the nasty words that come to mind right now :crying:
I would appreciate a logcat @ level 9 from screen on to the point when you discover that app isn't responding.
Also, does clearing app data help?

This is very weird, I even tried a reinstall of the app yesterday and it didn't fix the issue.
Today I installed Velis again to make a logcat and everything is working again :confused:

I will monitor this, if it happens again I will make a log.

Last edited:
Reactions: velis74

karol1981

Feb 7, 2011
Kielce,Poland
Strange things happen, after reinstalling app everything is working.

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 5

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Ok, now it's not working :/

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 5

fast_zorro

May 18, 2008
Berlin
Galaxy S5 with Lollipop 5.0:

Installed and everything working fine.
When just switched off the screen (Power Button) and switched on again, auto brightness working fine.
Switch off and lock screen, after unlock auto brightness has no response.
Check with "S5-Sensors" shows, that the sensor are workking fine.
Delete of auto brightness app cache and data in program manager bring back full response.
Auto brightness works fine, until next lockscreen was active.....:rolleyes:

urekeli

Dec 27, 2014
Galaxy S5 with Lollipop 5.0:

Installed and everything working fine.
When just switched off the screen (Power Button) and switched on again, auto brightness working fine.
Switch off and lock screen, after unlock auto brightness has no response.
Check with "S5-Sensors" shows, that the sensor are workking fine.
Delete of auto brightness app cache and data in program manager bring back full response.
Auto brightness works fine, until next lockscreen was active.....:rolleyes:
Same problem.
Can you guys tell me simillar app?

atchok

Feb 19, 2015
hi Velis, your app is fine and auto brightness work very well with no battery drain ,but i have some parasit noise on headphone when your service is active and screen is on, its like a fast tactactactactactac on low volume (near to zero), appears only when screen is on!

LG optimus G stock 4.1.2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTICE: This app is deprecated as of 22.2.2024. It is no longer maintained. Support is given only in the form of help getting existing functionality working, not further development.

[APP][2.2+] Velis auto brightness 4.84

A pretty powerfully adjustable auto-brightness app for your android device.

Notice: project is alive again. Latest app version is in Play store, one week later in full release.

Deployments from android 2.1 up. Latest versions development supports Android 5.0 and up.
    Any feedback highly appreciated.

Beta testers (via Play Store beta program): just apply for beta.

The app features a developer settings dialog which can be reached by long-pressing proximity reading on main screen.

Google play link for download. (and description)

Manual

Looking to help with translations? Go
    here, register an account (if not registered already) and then click either "Join language" on existing language or "Suggest another language" if your language of choice is not yet in the project. Wait a bit for me to approve you and you can start translating.
    lease note that the translation app is still an early WiP, so drop me an email to jure (at) velis.si if something doesn't work right for you or if you have a suggestion.

This app is translated to the following languages:
    * English - base language
    * Chinese by Jinran Lin
    * Czech by Holly Hell
    * Dutch by Maardiweb
    * French by Pims83
    * Italian by siggey
    * German by Chef Koch
    * Hungarian by XT69
    * Japanese by Magus & Masaki
    * Lithuanian by cukierkas
    * Norvegian by MrMastodon
    * Persian by Alireza Afkar
    * Polish by trur3
    * Romanian by rapttorx
    * Russian by Pavel Utochkin
    * Slovak by kubics
    * Spanish by UnderXP
    * Vietnamese by Vu Hien
    * Slovene

Thank you all for your help. :highfive: VAB wouldn't be what it is without you!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Velis Auto Brightness, App for the Android General

Contributors
    velis74

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 4.84
    Stable Release Date: 2023-01-02
    Current Beta Version: 5.00
    Beta Release Date: 2023-01-05

Created 2013-11-12
    Last Updated 2022-12-23
    Thread reopened per moderator decision. Some of you already know there's a dispute with Lux auto brightness author regarding app description text. I have removed it in entirety to remove any ambiguity. Text on play store is in its 3rd revision which was written entirely from scratch. In my opinion it bears absolutely no resemblance to lux description.

Please do not comment on this in your further posts. The thread should remain on-topic.
    If you still feel you have to say something about it, please PM me or the mod about it.

In the mean time I have released v 1.10.32

No more of no sensor reading (found out why service was crashing)

I have however detected an issue when the device is in a constant light conditions (night). Although I have the sensor reading, the graph still drops to 0 and minimizes the brightness.
    Direct solution is to attempt to modify the graph and then cancel the operation. This will restore the brightness to the graph setting.

Edit: fixed

Edit: TO DO list updated and rearranged. Top items have high priority.

Thanks for all the support so far, everyone. I never hoped for such a positive feedback.
    Jure
    I think I found the cause of sensor readings getting stuck: it happens when you turn on the screen while proximity sensor is covered (active). The app then ignores the subsequent sensor readings because of proximity and when proximity is finally released, lack of further light events "causes" the app to not update the brightness according to most recent light reading. Of course, this mostly ever happens while in a dark room - that's when light events are very rare because the sensor just doesn't detect any changes in light.

I have added an auto-generated event to occur just after the proximity sensor should release so that the brightness will then be updated. In my testing, I cannot reproduce the problem any more.

I will upload the new apk to OP now and later today to the market. I just want to test a bit more because this isn't the only change I've done.
    One of the best apps that I have used offlate. I am just addicted to it now. The development certainly needs to continue and if possible the future updates could add profile export ans restore feature. No need for frequent updates, as it is almost bug free now. Would just wish for Android 10 support.

Yeah, decided to give it anbother go. Not sure when I will find the time, though. Need to fix wizard which took some damage when I was doing support for the new Androids. Hopefully there will be something before THIS new year. :angel:
    Sorry for no activity guys, I get so little comp time lately :(
    I have however managed to make some progress and have updated first post with a new version that has the following new additions:

• Service will stop after a minute if auto brightness is disabled
    • Support for proprietary sensor solutions on Sony Xperia, SGS2
    • Updated translations: german, persian

This is not yet a release since I'd like to do two more things before I do that:
    1. Try to fix the graph freeze
    2. Create a first-start settings wizard

In order to do the first, this version (in the first post, not the market) contains some logging enhancements. I would ask someone with the problem to please drop me a mail with logcat @ level 9 (long press the proximity sensor reading values to set the level). All I need is a few seconds @ level 9 when the graph is not responding to light changes.

The second item will be a series of 4 - 5 dialogs asking the user about his basic preferences. I will make it so that even existing users will have the option of running this dialog.

Of course, I'm also interested in Xperia sensor support if any Xperia users are still following the thread. Maybe for the support to work correctly, apps like this will need to be active. The app should work even without that, but there may be some strange results because OS and app will fight for their brightness. Don't know what the OS does if an app sets its own brightness.

@shadowch: The baby is great, we're having so much fun. We already managed to get her to sleep during the nights (that's why I have no more comp time :D ) We're all going for a walk to lake Bled today.