FORUMS

T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Battery Woes

I’ve been using a T-Mobile Galaxy S6 since the device launched with T-mobile’s … more

Earthquake Early Warning in Your Pocket

Probably all of us reading this have a smartphone in our pocket. For many of us, the … more

Sony: The OEM You Want To Save

In our recent Discuss article, we asked you readers on which OEM you would like to help. While the … more

How to Lock and Protect Your Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

The smartphone revolution has passed. Everybody has mobile apps. Some of … more

[Q] Moto G damaged - needs board change.

13 posts
Thanks Meter: 5
 
By narayanand, Junior Member on 14th May 2014, 12:34 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
10th October 2014, 12:33 PM |#21  
Junior Member
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Question Able to attend call - But needs board change!
Thanks Narayanan, Rajen, and aayush_neov
Very helpful and quick responses.

Okay, so i got the phone back from Service Center(Trident, Chennai). These guys clearly said no way the phone can be brought back to life. Needs to change screen and mother board and could cost 80% of the phone's cost. When leaving they also said they could buy the phone for 1500 rupees. They may need the chips and some units that are working on the phone. I said i will think about it. (Sounded like a good deal though).

So this is what happened next. I was bored and worried in office, so gave a try by myself. I charged the phone from morning to afternoon (LED Blinked). Later in afternoon i put my sim card from my phone (Lumia 510, Moto E is Mom's) and turned it ON. Surprise surprise the phone did turn ON. Not the display, but i can see some blank white light glowing in the screen. So i called from my office phone and surprise surprise it RINGED. And the mic, speaker everything just worked fine.
Now tell me this - How could a phone declared to have dead Motherboard do this?

So i guess the issue is only with the display and It seems i am a better debugger than the service center folks.
1. Have anyone changed the screen for Moto E/G.
2. How much would that cost?
3. Should i go back to Trident or should i try somewhere else. (Sadly, they are the authorized folks.)

Thanks in advance for your responses!
 
 
10th October 2014, 01:06 PM |#22  
Junior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 2
 
Donate to Me
More
Red face great news that..
That's great news.. One of my friend had Moto G screen cracked and she checked with Motorola service center and they said it will cost her 4500. So I guess Moto E is bit small so would cost somewhere around 3500 to 4000. You can go for duplicate display screen which would cost you around 1500 to 2000. It hardly makes any difference in my point of view as long as u get it working normally.

The thing about service center people are, if your phone is under warranty(mine is under warranty and I guess yours too), the service center people don't make any money out of it so they would just check and tell that the motherboard is gone as they just want to get rid of you asap. That's what I think. So, always better to go to local service center when they say they cant do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjyvgns

Thanks Narayanan, Rajen, and aayush_neov
Very helpful and quick responses.

Okay, so i got the phone back from Service Center(Trident, Chennai). These guys clearly said no way the phone can be brought back to life. Needs to change screen and mother board and could cost 80% of the phone's cost. When leaving they also said they could buy the phone for 1500 rupees. They may need the chips and some units that are working on the phone. I said i will think about it. (Sounded like a good deal though).

So this is what happened next. I was bored and worried in office, so gave a try by myself. I charged the phone from morning to afternoon (LED Blinked). Later in afternoon i put my sim card from my phone (Lumia 510, Moto E is Mom's) and turned it ON. Surprise surprise the phone did turn ON. Not the display, but i can see some blank white light glowing in the screen. So i called from my office phone and surprise surprise it RINGED. And the mic, speaker everything just worked fine.
Now tell me this - How could a phone declared to have dead Motherboard do this?

So i guess the issue is only with the display and It seems i am a better debugger than the service center folks.
1. Have anyone changed the screen for Moto E/G.
2. How much would that cost?
3. Should i go back to Trident or should i try somewhere else. (Sadly, they are the authorized folks.)

Thanks in advance for your responses!

The Following User Says Thank You to joshirajen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st January 2015, 02:01 PM |#23  
Junior Member
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Moto g Accedentally dropped in water
Hi,

I own a moto g which accedentally dropped in water. i took it off and it was working fine for few min. After some time i noticed some water inside my screen and my touch was not working. I left my phone for some time. After an hour when i restarted my phone my touch was working. To dry down the water, i kept my phone under shady sun light for about 2 hours. Now when i try to switch it on the led light is blinking 3 times as if it do when the battery drains. I tried to charge my phone and now the LED light is blinking and later it stopped.

If my circuits are crashed will the LED light blink. Because i used my phone before if completely dried off.
2nd February 2015, 03:36 AM |#24  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevan2893

Hi,

I own a moto g which accedentally dropped in water. i took it off and it was working fine for few min. After some time i noticed some water inside my screen and my touch was not working. I left my phone for some time. After an hour when i restarted my phone my touch was working. To dry down the water, i kept my phone under shady sun light for about 2 hours. Now when i try to switch it on the led light is blinking 3 times as if it do when the battery drains. I tried to charge my phone and now the LED light is blinking and later it stopped.

If my circuits are crashed will the LED light blink. Because i used my phone before if completely dried off.

As a first step, I would use a higher amperage charger (like the one that comes with tablets, which has rating typically in the range of 1A or 2A - Moto G's charger rating is 0.5A) and leave it for an hour. If still problem persists you can try swapping a fully charged battery from another Moto G. If that is not feasible, the only other option available to you is to approach the service center, who will not provide warranty citing the issue as water damage.

Hope it helps and all the best.

Regards,
Narayanan
The Following User Says Thank You to narayanand For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2015, 04:47 AM |#25  
Junior Member
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanand

As a first step, I would use a higher amperage charger (like the one that comes with tablets, which has rating typically in the range of 1A or 2A - Moto G's charger rating is 0.5A) and leave it for an hour. If still problem persists you can try swapping a fully charged battery from another Moto G. If that is not feasible, the only other option available to you is to approach the service center, who will not provide warranty citing the issue as water damage.

Hope it helps and all the best.

Regards,
Narayanan



hii..

i have tried the above steps. it is working and i am able to see the display. still water is present under the screen which is visible . Can you please suggest me how to get rid of that water. Weather it is possible with out changing the screen or not.
3rd February 2015, 06:59 AM |#26  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
The lesson I learnt from experience is that water corrodes certain parts of your phone and the corrosion grows.

So the best approach would be to take the phone apart, clean with pure distilled water first to take away the electrolytes from previous exposure and then dry it and wash carefully only the contacts with isopropyl alcohol. Then dry and assemble.

These are simply out of reach for us and hence approach service center and ask them to clean for water damage. They will not cover this under warranty and also any further repairs they will blame the water exposure and will deny warranty.

If all the above is not possible, simply switch off the phone and place it in rice, which will absorb the moisture.

All the best again.
8th February 2015, 07:46 AM |#27  
AnkeshReborn's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Raver
Thanks Meter: 229
 
Donate to Me
More
Similar Problems
I had this problem six months ago,and they said to replace and its about 80%,So,how's your phone now,my phone is just a heavy paperweight..

Any suggestion?
9th February 2015, 06:42 AM |#28  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkeshReborn

I had this problem six months ago,and they said to replace and its about 80%,So,how's your phone now,my phone is just a heavy paperweight..

Any suggestion?

Though I was willing to pay for the motherboard, Trident (Chennai's authorised service centre for Motorola) said Motorola has not given permission to replace motherboards for non-warranty repairs (It was very funny to ponder how such decisions are made). They further said that they are waiting for Motorola's approval. I have lodged in a compaint at Motorola customer care and did not get any conclusive answer. I asked for escalation and I was given contact details of Chennai's service head from Redington who too did not give any conclusive answer. Again I asked for escalation and this time they gave country head's phone an email, which was no answered (both phone and email). All these took almost three months and with great frustration about Motorola's service network I took my phone unrepaired and went to Ritche street and approached Cresent service centre.

They estimated the charges as Rs.1500 for fixing and after two days they said they removed the vibrator motor. I disagreed that as a fix and finally they settled in for Rs.1100. Luckily in my case the water damage has caused the vibrator to vibrate and removing it made the phone usable.

I would suggest you to try Crescent +919840172678 +914443227750, 13/38 Wallers Road, mount Road
Madras.

All the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to narayanand For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th February 2015, 10:23 AM |#29  
AnkeshReborn's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Raver
Thanks Meter: 229
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanand

Though I was willing to pay for the motherboard, Trident (Chennai's authorised service centre for Motorola) said Motorola has not given permission to replace motherboards for non-warranty repairs (It was very funny to ponder how such decisions are made). They further said that they are waiting for Motorola's approval. I have lodged in a compaint at Motorola customer care and did not get any conclusive answer. I asked for escalation and I was given contact details of Chennai's service head from Redington who too did not give any conclusive answer. Again I asked for escalation and this time they gave country head's phone an email, which was no answered (both phone and email). All these took almost three months and with great frustration about Motorola's service network I took my phone unrepaired and went to Ritche street and approached Cresent service centre.

They estimated the charges as Rs.1500 for fixing and after two days they said they removed the vibrator motor. I disagreed that as a fix and finally they settled in for Rs.1100. Luckily in my case the water damage has caused the vibrator to vibrate and removing it made the phone usable.

I would suggest you to try Crescent +919840172678 +914443227750, 13/38 Wallers Road, mount Road
Madras.

All the best.

Looks like you've not corrupted your motherboard,as I have and the service centre said it would be ₹8500
So any other cheap suggestions?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
circuit board, water damage
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes