QuickCharge 2.0

Search This thread

XbLaCk0uT

Aug 27, 2014
Would using an iPad charger help? Output 5,2V, 2,4A = 12 W
Even if so, I would need a proper USB cable I guess?
Im considering buying Z2 and quickcharge feature is one of the things that matters, but since it doesnt seem to work... :(

infinitylook

May 26, 2013
Lit might help charge faster. Default xperia charger cable should be good

Sent from my D6633 using XDA Free mobile app

dany547

Feb 8, 2008
Iași
www.geekchronicles.ro
i have a Z2, but the charger is 850mHa output at 5v. Then i got a 5v 2A one, the phone charged a little faster, but nothing major was changed. Then i got a witget installed so i can measure the Mha that go in the phone, but the current oscillates with both chargers, different cables even in the PCs USB.
What may be the problem? Also the battery is lasting me like 4H screen ON with 50m of candy crush and 2 days in standby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQ09Tt4Xeg&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

yuskhayru

This is the reply from one of the Moderator in sony support forum when im asking about the Z2 - quick charge 2.0

@Rickard has posted this before

We forwarded this internally for more information some time ago and the information i got is that Z3 Compact does support Quick Charge 2.0. The following Xperia devices supports Quick Charge 2.0:

Xperia™ Z3 CompactXperia™ Z3 Tablet CompactXperia™ Z2 TabletXperia™ Z3 (only Japanese variants SO-01G, SOL26 and 401SO)Xperia™ Z2 (only Japanese variant SO-03F)

Of our docking stations, only DK48 supports it.

But i don't have any Quick Charge 2.0 charger so i haven't been able to test how much faster it will charge.

From what he said, only the japanese variant SO-03f does support QC2.0. :eek:

*Need someone with japanese variant version to confirm this.

Reactions: bluheart

xaadilhx

Jun 23, 2013
I generally use my samsung galaxy tab charger with my z2 because the Sony's 1500mah charger is very slow. An old htc 1a charger is faster than Sony's charger using Sony's usb cable.

Using the samsung official 5v 2a charger with a cheap magnetic 2 meter cable provides around 1300mah. Charge voltage starts around 4.1 rising to 5v slowly. 2 hours will achieve near 80% at 1% every 1 minute 29 seconds. Nearer to the end of charge the rate and voltage decreases, so it's slow charged at that point until full.

I haven't recorded the figures but the phone is accepting higher charge current, so I try to find a good balance to avoid too much heat. A higher quality magnetic cable will likely be faster but may also generate more heat, but not much problem on cold winter desks or surfaces.

If Sony wanted quick charge they would have an official charger, for now they aren't bothered.

It would be good to know the official figures and charger, rate etc using the z3. Is it still a 1.5a charger?

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

infinitylook

May 26, 2013
I generally use my samsung galaxy tab charger with my z2 because the Sony's 1500mah charger is very slow. An old htc 1a charger is faster than Sony's charger using Sony's usb cable.

Using the samsung official 5v 2a charger with a cheap magnetic 2 meter cable provides around 1300mah. Charge voltage starts around 4.1 rising to 5v slowly. 2 hours will achieve near 80% at 1% every 1 minute 29 seconds. Nearer to the end of charge the rate and voltage decreases, so it's slow charged at that point until full.

I haven't recorded the figures but the phone is accepting higher charge current, so I try to find a good balance to avoid too much heat. A higher quality magnetic cable will likely be faster but may also generate more heat, but not much problem on cold winter desks or surfaces.

If Sony wanted quick charge they would have an official charger, for now they aren't bothered.

It would be good to know the official figures and charger, rate etc using the z3. Is it still a 1.5a charger?

What app did you use to record voltage?

Sent from my D6633 using XDA Free mobile app

xaadilhx

Jun 23, 2013
I normally use a combination of apps, current widget, battery by Macropinch & system monitor to try and verify accuracy and timing.

I tried to do a full charge with the original charger & Sony usb again and closely checked the details, 3 apps running, connectivity off, night filter active while screen on to check figures but otherwise screen off, it's been so slow via usb cable.

from 1% battery 28c, 3.6v 1a 1059ma max

After 1 hour 33% - 32.5c 3.9v - up to 1a similar current fluctuating but mostly near 1a.

11:40 2 hours 65% 32c - 4.1v 850/900ma sight drop in charge current.

Didn't complete charge with Sony charger, it's just too slow but of course after 80% charge speed is slow also.

Can anyone verify whether this Sony charger is ever supplying the quoted output?

yuskhayru

Whats the different of heat between the samsung tab and sony stock charger? Did the samsung tab charger heat the battery so much?

Sent from my D6503

xaadilhx

Jun 23, 2013
Yes I've noticed software gives various results sometimes more fluctuation in charge.

What I can say for sure is the original charger & cable via usb port is the slowest charge.

Still with the Sony magnetic charger it's slow but ...

Using my Samsung 2A charger via the magnetic port it's significantly faster charging. Meaning saving 1 hour off charging time. Full charge from 1% in 2:30 minutes. Better efficiency with Sony magnetic dock than genetic device.

Temperature goes to around 37c at higher charging rate, over 40c if device is in use.

zycamaniac

Dec 27, 2009
North Vancouver
Yes I've noticed software gives various results sometimes more fluctuation in charge.

What I can say for sure is the original charger & cable via usb port is the slowest charge.

Still with the Sony magnetic charger it's slow but ...

Using my Samsung 2A charger via the magnetic port it's significantly faster charging. Meaning saving 1 hour off charging time. Full charge from 1% in 2:30 minutes. Better efficiency with Sony magnetic dock than genetic device.

Temperature goes to around 37c at higher charging rate, over 40c if device is in use.

Samsung 2A charger's voltage is a little bit over 5V, at between 5.35 and 5.45V. With a very thick and low impedance cable, you can have the phone (Sony Z2) charge up to 1.7A constantly, either with magnetic dock or microUSB.

I'm a control freak, which is why I got the dongles to tell me how much current is the phone taking in. If you do not provide a "raised voltage" supply, the voltage will drop too low for the phone to draw 1.7A, with standard 5V USB power it will stop at around 1.3A even with 18AWG micro USB cables. With even thinner cable and standard 5V supply, it will drop to about 0.9A.

The phone detects the voltage change in input power, and is very careful to stop drawing higher current if voltage drops too much. This is done to protect the power supply from overload, and it kept increasing current to the point where the voltage hits the stop point set in the phone. I think Amazon is using a similar system on their tablets, this allow the phone/tablet to adept to almost any power supply without blowing them up. But I think Sony is just being a little too careful there, and a bit too stingy with their USB cable. That cable is just not passing enough current/too much resistance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Haldi4803

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like I mentioned earlier in my other topic (sadly we can't edit topic titles)

Here is the proof that the Z2 does support QuickCharge tech. ;) Now all we need to do is find the QuickCharge certified adapters! Lets get to work guys! :D

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/blog/2014/06/04/quick-charge-20-has-arrived
    Just a heads up, a notice from that blog post:

Contain the hardware necessary to achieve Quick Charge 2.0 charging speeds. It is at the device manufacturer’s discretion to fully enable this feature. A Quick Charge 2.0 certified power adapter is required. Different Quick Charge 2.0 implementations may result in different charging times.

Emphasis mine. So while the hardware support might be there, it does not necessarily mean that the Z2 has it enabled yet/properly.

Also, finding good information on those adapters mentioned wasn't easy. Let's hope they hit market sooner rather than later.
    Yes, we know this from the URL in the first post, and like I mentioned above, Qualcomm states the following in that blog post:

Contain the hardware necessary to achieve Quick Charge 2.0 charging speeds. It is at the device manufacturer’s discretion to fully enable this feature.

The Z2 has the hardware required, but it doesn't mean Sony have enabled this or made sure it's working properly. With barely any available chargers supporting Quick Charge 2.0, we'll just have to wait and see. There's no reason why it should not be fully enabled, but I'm a cynic so I'd rather see it tested with the Z2 before I believe it :)
    The OPPO Find 7/7a is already using this, although its called VOOC charging.

The charger is rated 5V == 4.5A

6-jpg.19702

more about VOOC Charging
    This is the reply from one of the Moderator in sony support forum when im asking about the Z2 - quick charge 2.0

@Rickard has posted this before

We forwarded this internally for more information some time ago and the information i got is that Z3 Compact does support Quick Charge 2.0. The following Xperia devices supports Quick Charge 2.0:

Xperia™ Z3 CompactXperia™ Z3 Tablet CompactXperia™ Z2 TabletXperia™ Z3 (only Japanese variants SO-01G, SOL26 and 401SO)Xperia™ Z2 (only Japanese variant SO-03F)

Of our docking stations, only DK48 supports it.

But i don't have any Quick Charge 2.0 charger so i haven't been able to test how much faster it will charge.

From what he said, only the japanese variant SO-03f does support QC2.0. :eek:

*Need someone with japanese variant version to confirm this.