[APP][4.4][ROOT] SDFix: Modify device permissions to allow apps to write to MicroSD

Search This thread

Syntey

Feb 6, 2015
Hi, I tried this app and several others, but I still can't write on my SD card. Busybox installed, also looked to the file if there is added that one row. Do someone know solution for this ? Rooted with Towelroot, so I don't want to trip KNOX.
Thank you

EDIT: Problem solved, format SD card :)

Last edited:

mjfdms

Feb 13, 2015
SD fix via TWRP

Hello there, i recently discovered that formating Data with TWRP will give permissions to write on SD card in KitKat.
The following happened, directories have changed from legacy to 0 folder.
I wish that others will try this method and see if it works too.
There was no known problems and the tab works fine but im no dev and i cant prove that alls workinh fine, please reply.

tyklink

Feb 14, 2015
Tampa, FL
working but not working?

i have installed the app and it says it worked fine... after reboot, the sd card still cant be accessed, there is a "Checking for link-to-SD apps..." notification perpetually stuck at 0%, and the app continues to tell me everything is fine... any help for me? i have a tmobile galaxy s2 (hercules) that is running ParanoidAndroid 4.45 with android 4.4.4

TommyTFC

Oct 31, 2011
Ames, IA
I wasn't so lucky. After running the fix and rebooting I not longer have access to my internal sdcard. Many apps stop as they are initially loaded. I can find my way to the internal sd card with ES File Explorer going through /data/media/0. I cannot find my way there going through /sdcard or /data/media/legacy or /storage/emulated. I had before the reboot froze all the KNOX applications I could find with Ti Bu. They are all unfrozen now with SD Maid. Any help would be appreciated.
S4 NK1 Rooted stock Verison rom

jonnykun

Mar 7, 2015
not working...

When I ran the app, it said it completed successfully. After restarting, I am able to create and edit folders on my SD card using ES File Explorer. But when trying to sync files to the SD card with SyncMe Wireless, it still doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: shichemt

shichemt

Mar 21, 2011
Dallas, TX
When I ran the app, it said it completed successfully. After restarting, I am able to create and edit folders on my SD card using ES File Explorer. But when trying to sync files to the SD card with SyncMe Wireless, it still doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

I am having the same problem.
I have to reboot the phone each time to use the SD Card. After 5-10 min, it doesn't allow me to cut/delete it says Write protected.

tmacdon

Mar 13, 2014
Livonia
www.thoms-place.com
Lollipop 5.0

I am having the same problem.
I have to reboot the phone each time to use the SD Card. After 5-10 min, it doesn't allow me to cut/delete it says Write protected.

I have a Samsung S5 w/5.0 lollipop and I tried the program, I am still unable to actually move pgm's to the SD Card - I can take pictures and save them to the SD card and that's it... Is there a setting I am missing?

Last edited:

mmahfouz64

Mar 21, 2015
apps for not rooted device to make sd card writeable in kitkat 4.4.2

please I need an apps for not rooted device to make my micro sd card writeable in kitkat 4.4.2
my device : archos 80b xenon ( tablet )

shri.vaibhav

Apr 11, 2013
Bhopal
Sir @tliebeck I am having this problem in a LOLLIPOP rom for Android One........ apps and all data cannot be moved from sdcard0 to sdcard1 ....... can you help me please

bkapca

Apr 3, 2015
SD fix

Will this root be permanent or temporary? When I reboot does that "close" or end the root? Never have rooted a phone so unsure of the total process. Thanks for anyone's help.

wizzbang3

Nov 18, 2010
This fix completely solved my issues with Titanium Backup but it has not fixed my issues with FolderSync.
From what reading I've done, the issue may be FolderSync itself, does anyone have any information on this? (Why the HELL does Foldersync need to write to an SD Card it's READING from anyhow?)

Any suggestions? It's apparently a common issue.
I've got root, platform.xml is patched (because SD Fix, presumably did it, but I've manually checked too)
Wanam Xposed too - still no luck...?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOT ACCESS IS REQUIRED.

I've written a simple app which modifies KitKat devices to allow user-installed applications to write to the MicroSD card on devices with two storage locations.

Background information on the underlying problem is available here: https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn Please ensure you understand the problem and that your device has it before installing this app. This app is quite useless if your device doesn't suffer this issue.

[[[[ THIS IS A BETA RELEASE. WHILE I HAVE TESTED THIS ON MULTIPLE DEVICES MANY TIMES, PLEASE RESTRICT YOUR USE OF THIS APP TO DEVICES YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO REFLASH FROM SCRATCH. I do not expect this to occur, but this is release #1 of this app, and it modifies a configuration file as root. That said, my test devices still work even when I deliberately corrupted and deleted the target file in testing. ]]]]

This app is entirely free. It doesn't have any ads, (but it does have a few Play Store links on its final screen to my other free apps).

Screenshots:

sdfix_welcome.png
    sdfix_ready.png

sdfix_wait.png
    sdfix_complete.png

It will be going on the Play Store pending your feedback, but I wanted to post it here first. Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

How it works: The /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml is modified to specify that all applications which have the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission are registered as members of the Android UNIX group "media_rw". Membership in this group is necessary to write to the MicroSD card.

In Android 4.3, most all devices granted access to the media_rw group to apps. In Android 4.4, they do not. This app simply restores the old behavior. From what I've observed this method (granting permission via platform.xml), also appears to be the preferred means of restoring SD card access on XDA and elsewhere.

This app is designed to abort if it sees absolutely anything that it does not expect. Please let me know if the app does not work for you, and what type of device/ROM/etc you're using. If the modification is unnecessary (due to media_rw access being already present) this app will make no modification.

The original platform.xml will be backed up in /system/etc/permissions as "platform.xml.original-pre-sdfix" (unless that file already exists).

Download

The installed app is named "NextApp SDFix".
    Awesome!! Will try, hope it will work

Edit:
    Sorry but how can i test it?
    When downloading something from dolphin and next -browser it doesnt show sdcard1

by8aheju.jpg

Have a break, Have a KitKat (powered Samsung Galaxy S²)
    Most ROMs won't have this problem, it 's generally only an issue with factory firmware on KitKat (e.g. TouchWiz updates to KitKat). What ROM are you running?

The free version of FX File Explorer (links in my signature) should show both media card and internal storage if everything works, and you should be able to create a new folder under the "media card" catalog. If MicroSD access if prevented, attempting to create a new folder under "media card" will fail.
    Got the issue on my TabPro 8.4, pending for maintenance so can't root yet, but really great thanks for saving the day.

Sent from my SM-T320 using xda app-developers app