FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Switched to Straight Talk. I have 2 issues (slow speed and error message)

468 posts
Thanks Meter: 174

By Travisholt92, Senior Member on 31st May 2014, 05:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th February 2015, 09:08 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisholt92

Obviously you're unaware that the Galaxy S5 supports CDMA at LTE speeds AND GSM at HSPA+ speeds. The Verizon Galaxy S5 is a "world" phone and does not require any sort of SIM unlocking in order to be used on other carriers. (as i can show you with a simple screenshot). However i think my decrease in speeds is caused by a bad tower on the opposite side of town from where I actually live. While at home (with only 2 or 3 bars of service) i am able to get fairly decent speeds without issue. As far as the point of this thread goes i was wondering if anybody had any tips or tricks for better stability of the HSPA/HSPA+ network on the Verizon Galaxy S5 and to see if anybody was able to remove the SIM error without rooting. With rooting i know it can be achieved as i have already researched how to do so. I know why the SIM error is there, I'm not that oblivious. But thank you very much for your comment.

I did the same with an s4 and s5, but were slow and had horrible battery life. I couldn't get either phone to activate on the cdma network, so i used a tmobile sim. t mobile has a horrible network her, so I am pretty sure my issue was signal strength.

15th February 2015, 09:29 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Wayne, Indiana
Thanks Meter: 174

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catumaros

I did the same with an s4 and s5, but were slow and had horrible battery life. I couldn't get either phone to activate on the cdma network, so i used a tmobile sim. t mobile has a horrible network her, so I am pretty sure my issue was signal strength.

tmobile is pretty terrible unless you're in a major city. AT&T is the way to go through straight talk. However i would recommend Cricket, much better pricing and less network issues.
28th July 2016, 09:13 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller1821

I hate when people give out the wrong information. This is not the case and hasn't been the case for awhile. Do your research 1st. Go to straighttalk website and click on byop under shop. Now go to the very bottom where it says see all coverage and it shows the coverage maps of all 4 major providers. Now if you go with that same byop shop page and click on shop at the top, it will bring up a page where you can either buy a t-mobile or at&t sim, and on the right hand side you can also buy a cdma access code. This is not rocket science. Also, apns for every sim card for gsm and cdma access are different. I am not gonna list the apns because reply would be too long but its not hard to find. There are also numerous youtube videos covering this as well as multiple google results. I literally just bought an at&t sim when I upgraded to the gs5 because i had an t-mobile gs3 with the same straight talk service and didn't care for t-mobile. It is true that if you buy a straight talk phone from wal-mart then yes it will probably be a t-mobile phone but to say you can't bring your own phone and use whatever carrier is not an intelligent thing to say when you clearly can.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

straight talk still supports att that is who I use and with an att phone
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)