Losing wifi passwords

OP dogan2010

6th January 2015, 03:22 PM   |  #311  
Thanks Meter: 6

105 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverB82

My Galaxy Note 10.1 kept loosing my known WiFi connections and password since about a week ago which really drove me crazy since I'm using
Passwords nobody can ever remember.
I've been searching the Internet for a solution for about 3 days now and I'm starting to think that even here in this thread we have not one but a few different problems, which need different solutions.

My Note did forget the WiFi settings every time it got disconnected, no matter whether I rebooted, changed location or toggled WiFi in the notification bar. In Google's product forum I found a topic with a similar problem on a nexus 5 and the tips suggested were the same as here, synchronisation related.

However, last entry someone suggested examining wpa_supplicant.conf in /data/misc/wifi (you need to be root for this)
Indeed, while file permissons were plausible the file size was zero bytes on my note.
I simply renamed the file with WiFi off then rebooted and turned WiFi on again.
Of course, one has to enter networks and passwords once more manually, but now they're stored again and my problem is solved.

So, if your problems with forgotten WiFis are sporadic, the problem might indeed be sync related and I suggest to turn off Samsung Sync and Google Sync in the Settings for a testdrive.
If, however, your device keeps forgetting Networks all the time or rather everytime it needs to authenticate again, I'd suggest examining the wpa_supplicant.conf.
The latter problem can only be solved with root access or by wipe of your device, I'm afraid.

I examined the file in the WiFi folder and it seems to have worked! Thank you!
10th January 2015, 01:20 AM   |  #312  
Thanks Meter: 0

23 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldinho9

Hi everyone. I ran in to this problem for the past couple of days, and I noticed I it got worse as I navigated the internet on my rooted S5 with kitkat. I had installed a program called "VidTrim" to edit videos on my phone, and discovered it was messing up my wireless connection. I had the same symptoms as you all did with the wifi password getting deleted, or corrupted. .. when I uninstalled this app my phone actually tried to connect to my wifi automatically but, it failed with an "error failed to connect to wifi" or something similar. Anyway I tried the "build.prop" fix, and the "wpa_suplicant" fix to no avail. It worked after I uninstalled this app, that by the way also installed its own codecs at the time of installation which made it suspect.

On a side note its funny you guys mentioned the "build.prop" fix because, I noticed a few days back that my phone was lagging very bad. I then ran a "top | more" command in my terminal emulator app to show what was taking all of my processing power. I then noticed that 45% of it was getting eaten up by "secure_storage_daemon" so I read up on it and concluded I didnt need it as I dont need encryption to be running 24/7. So I did a search for that daemon which was in "/system/bin/secure_storage_daemon" and renamed it. After that it never lagged again. Now I see where this module could have been triggered by "ro.securestorage.support=true" makes sense to me. So I changed that to false with ESfile explorer with root just to make sure
Sorry for the long reply but I had to share some light for those with the same pain going through these issues. These are great phones but they certainly didnt work out all the bugs. Good luck to you all!

-Ron

I did this and now everytime i boot my phone up the first time it connects to wifi i get a message saying im in developer mode and it turns wifi off. Not a big problem because i can turn it back on and its fine until next reboot where i just have to repeat the same thing. Still its strange though, i googled it and changed 2 files to ON and the message still comes up. I dont get anything overlaying my screen though which is strange but im thankful.
18th January 2015, 06:55 AM   |  #313  

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajumper

Yes I have it to every time I reboot phone I must put my password again! Look in build prop for this line: ro.securestorage.support=true and make from true in false
Then save! And reboot phone! After reboot it can be that you must put once more your password and then it is good! Let me know if it is working ok?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes, it works. You are the best
thanks
20th January 2015, 03:59 PM   |  #314  
Thanks Meter: 2

1 posts
I'm not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogan2010

Hi guys

i have noticed after the update to kitkat
My saved wifi passwords are reseting for a reason
Does anyone has this problem too?

NOTE3 - Wifi password not being saved

*** Device must be ROOTED in order to delete the files within /data/misc/wifi. These step we’re performed on a Samsung NOTE3 Tmobile (N900T).

I had my NOTE3 for a very long time now. I'm rooted after doing much research I notice the files we're not getting modified when I would enter my WIFI password. By deleting everything under /data/misc/wifi all files and folders this will remove the corrupted files. Once done I rebooted my phone, enter the WIFI password again I then check the files within this folder and now they have all my information about my WIFI. I rebooted my phone to make sure its working and guess what it worked; its now saving my WIFI information.

Follow this steps to correct the problem:
1.Turn off WIFI

2. Goto Settings> General> Backup and turn off the ‘Back up my data’

3. delete all files and folder in the following directory.
/data/misc/wifi ; Delete all the files and folders.

4. Once done reboot phone re-enter your WIFI information.

5. To test turn OFF the WIFI wait a few seconds then turn back ON it should remember everything. Next test is to reboot the phone, this will validate everything is working correctly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackrambo9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2015, 08:24 PM   |  #315  
Flag Peniche
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajumper

Yes I have it to every time I reboot phone I must put my password again! Look in build prop for this line: ro.securestorage.support=true and make from true in false
Then save! And reboot phone! After reboot it can be that you must put once more your password and then it is good! Let me know if it is working ok?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yess!!! This worked for me.
Problem solved. Thanks a lot dajumper.
27th January 2015, 12:48 AM   |  #316  

5 posts
More
Hi all,

ro.securestorage.support=true > false

Worked like a charm! tanx

OC
17th February 2015, 09:05 AM   |  #317  
Flag Zwijndrecht

19 posts
I am running this firmware http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...alaxy-t3029557 but after flash I got the wifi bug

Version: Android 5.0
Changelist: 3643614
Build date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:05:43 +0000
Product Code: XEO
PDA: N9005XXUGBOA5
CSC: N9005XEOGBOA4
MODEM: N9005XXUGBOA1
File size: 1.21 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrambo9

NOTE3 - Wifi password not being saved

*** Device must be ROOTED in order to delete the files within /data/misc/wifi. These step we’re performed on a Samsung NOTE3 Tmobile (N900T).

I had my NOTE3 for a very long time now. I'm rooted after doing much research I notice the files we're not getting modified when I would enter my WIFI password. By deleting everything under /data/misc/wifi all files and folders this will remove the corrupted files. Once done I rebooted my phone, enter the WIFI password again I then check the files within this folder and now they have all my information about my WIFI. I rebooted my phone to make sure its working and guess what it worked; its now saving my WIFI information.

Follow this steps to correct the problem:
1.Turn off WIFI

2. Goto Settings> General> Backup and turn off the ‘Back up my data’

3. delete all files and folder in the following directory.
/data/misc/wifi ; Delete all the files and folders.

4. Once done reboot phone re-enter your WIFI information.

5. To test turn OFF the WIFI wait a few seconds then turn back ON it should remember everything. Next test is to reboot the phone, this will validate everything is working correctly.

I tried this several times but wont work for me. Data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf saves the network, but after reboot it is clear again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocordeiro

Hi all,

ro.securestorage.support=true > false

Worked like a charm! tanx

OC

With this, i and up with a softbrick, android 5.0 of a knox thing?
Last edited by andrestartrek2; 17th February 2015 at 09:13 AM.
17th February 2015, 07:11 PM   |  #318  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 226

745 posts
More
The only time this has ever happened to me was when i didn't update the modem and bootloader with the rom. I assume this has been posted before, i have not read through.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread