Had a lot of fiddling about to get this working on my Chinese Tablet running 4.4.2 . . .
Teleread had the answer, so I am posting here and hopefully it will help others. The main bit didn't work, but scroll down the page to the posts from users and review the help given by CHRIS on September 17. It was HARD to get my tablet to download the Android Phone app (rather than the default TABLET app) as Google Playstore refused to show the phone app to me. I did a google search and found a link to the app that didn't use either google or amazon. Now I am watching Amazon Prime Videop on my Chinese ONDA iPad look-alike.
and the work-around to get it to work
September 17, 2014 at 3:45 pm
It was painful but I got it to work on 3 devices – a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7.0) and an HTC Evo 4G LTE. Not intuitive would be an understatement! Here is what I did on each device in the order I did them.
1. Download and install the Amazon Appstore APK using link above.
2. Download and install the Instant Video (AIV) APK from the Amazon Appstore.
–At this point I got a runaround where the AIV app would direct me to a website which asked for my email which sent me a link to that same website. Frustrating. Turns out the AIV app runs through the Amazon shopping app – for PHONES – and you have to have the most updated version from the Google Play store.–
3. Download and/or update and install the Amazon shopping app from the Google Play store, PHONE VERSION (the tablet version I have on my Tab3 does NOT work but the phone one does).
4. Opened the Amazon shopping app from Google Play and signed in.
5. Opened the AIV app from the Amazon apps store and bingo!
Playback works well on 2/3 of my devices. It is super fuzzy on my HTC Evo 4G LTE but that is still running 4.1, my other two devices have KitKat and it works great.
Once it’s installed it’s nice but a pain in the ass to get up and running. Why Amazon? Why not just make a nice app for the Google Play store like everybody else? With their very nice Roku and iPad apps this antipathy to Android confuses me.