AOSP 5.1 ROM Compiled for the Moto E

It’s been a few weeks since the release of Android 5.1 and XDA Senior Member percy_g2 has … more

CutCalc: A Calculator for Mechanical Engineers

Mechanical and mechatronics engineers may want a handy app to calculate data for … more

Google Play Music Customizations – XDA Xposed Tuesday

If Cyanogen Inc. has its way, you won’t be forced into the Google … more

Sony Xperia Z3 Lollipop Framework Ported to CM12

Android 5.0 for Xperia has a unique look and feel. You don’t have to get a Sony … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Bypass T-Mobile Tethering Restriction?

22nd February 2015, 01:31 AM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 2

37 posts
Problem is - there are MULTIPLE ways to skin this cat. Example for us was, we have the un-throtled / unlimited T-mo LTE plan. can you imagine this plan, and you're letting the whole neighborhood piggyback off your wifi? VERY unfair ... so you can see why T-Mo wants to block some folks (like us). We found our international 8" Galaxy tab S had no issues (except getting it to run on a t-mo lte radio) with being block by default. But our T-MO Galaxy Note 3 was a diffrent story ... it took TONS of gymnastics to unblock T-Mo's wifi teather block. Funny thing; we only needed to let others use our wifi for a few days, than we'd be back to less than 12gb/month. that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Bottom line - every device may respond to unblocking differently . . . . that's why there are so many different suggestions on how to skin the cat. We tried numerous methods prior to enabling our note 3. After 8 attempts, number 9 worked for us. We had to (root, then) freeze T-Mo's stock wifi setup, than purchase one of several app store programs. After trying many of them ... it was the "wifi teather router" one that worked for us.
Last edited by hillg001; 22nd February 2015 at 01:37 AM.

22nd February 2015, 03:36 AM |#72  
Thanks Meter: 6

46 posts
WiFi tether router Works or worked wonders on 4.4.2 kitkat. Bypass upsell... the whole 9
Since lollipop update something drastically has changed the app doesn't work on 5.0.Which I figures until he update the app.
Other then that try an aosp rom or cm rom tether usually works off the bat .

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
24th February 2015, 04:30 AM |#73  

6 posts
EURICA!
Ok. Here it is. I dont take any credit and lost yhe original link. I was using wifi tether router on 4.4.2 tmobile galaxy s5 stock ROM and it worked great. After updating to lollipop it keeps giving me an error msg. Developer never responded back. I have tried many things and finally got tethering going. Just flush this file in recovery and fire away the native tethered apk. Works like a charm. Not overheating. Battery life is good. Most importantly my hotspot usage shows as ZERO after countless hours of streaming netflix! YAHOO!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Call_Recording_UNL_Tether.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.51 MB, 90 views)
24th February 2015, 04:38 AM |#74  

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petera209

I'm trying to make APN changes the Wifi Tether app says need to be made but the T-Mobile network is greed out in the settings. Is their a way to fix that?

Yeah, look for the "customer.xml" in system root folder, copy to temp directory. Edit with xml editor and replace ipv6 with ipv4. Make sure you get all of them. Then just move file back and replace the original. Btw, make a back up first. Then go to your network settings and "load the default". reboot. Now you are running ipv4.
24th February 2015, 07:13 AM |#75  
Thanks Meter: 10

163 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neshkoda

Ok. Here it is. I dont take any credit and lost yhe original link. I was using wifi tether router on 4.4.2 tmobile galaxy s5 stock ROM and it worked great. After updating to lollipop it keeps giving me an error msg. Developer never responded back. I have tried many things and finally got tethering going. Just flush this file in recovery and fire away the native tethered apk. Works like a charm. Not overheating. Battery life is good. Most importantly my hotspot usage shows as ZERO after countless hours of streaming netflix! YAHOO!!!

neshkoda, Thanks for the file. I've installed it and it seems that tethering works OK (so far no increase in the hotspot count at T-mobile) but I'm facing an issue that might / might-not be related... I am now cannot update apps from google store through 4G even though internet is available and I can even browse the store; download of apps will not work and I get "waiting for network" message. It will only work if I'm enabling WiFi (of course when tethering is off). Can you download apps via 4G/LTE?

Thanks,
Gil.
24th February 2015, 08:12 AM |#76  

6 posts
Try hard reset, take your nattery out for a minute, then delete Dalvik in recovery. After that set your Hotspot to transmit in 5ghz frequency. That will get you back on. I can update everything no problem. Make sure you are on stock rom though. This is not for custom rom or kernels
The Following User Says Thank You to neshkoda For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2015, 03:41 PM |#77  

163 posts
More
Quote:

Try hard reset, take your nattery out for a minute, then delete Dalvik in recovery. After that set your Hotspot to transmit in 5ghz frequency. That will get you back on. I can update everything no problem. Make sure you are on stock rom though. This is not for custom rom or kernels

I did a a Dalvik and normal cache cleanup. I also did not see initially the 5Ghz settings but this time around I've also set that one. Seems to work now. Thanks!

I have an annoying boot-loop (probably a different issue all together). When the device comes up and I can see the home screen, it will reboot itself after 5 sec. or so. The only way to get out of the loop is to put the device in an airplane mode (in those 5 sec. I have) and then I can break the loop. I can turn off airplane mode after it was fully booted and stable and the phone will work... very strange (but yes, probably unrelated).
25th February 2015, 04:08 PM |#78  

6 posts
The new lollipop on galaxy s5 g900t seems to favor TWRP RECOVERY, not Clockworkmod. Make sure that boot strap flash is the most current one. Yeah, those issues are totally unrelated. The teather patch has to do with ipv6 headers where your problem is corrupted system.ui sounds like. The patch is runni g strong for 10 days now. 45GB thought tether and it does not draw from the hotspot. I really like the native apk.
26th February 2015, 12:47 AM |#79  

163 posts
More
Quote:

The new lollipop on galaxy s5 g900t seems to favor TWRP RECOVERY, not Clockworkmod. Make sure that boot strap flash is the most current one. Yeah, those issues are totally unrelated. The teather patch has to do with ipv6 headers where your problem is corrupted system.ui sounds like. The patch is runni g strong for 10 days now. 45GB thought tether and it does not draw from the hotspot. I really like the native apk.

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately, switching to TWRP did not solve the problem. If my SGS5 is not in Airplane mode, the device will reboot itself after 5-10 seconds. Once it's in plane mode, it will reboot and will stay on, then I can turn off plane mode. Weird...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread