[Bandaid Fix] Boot looping due to power button

Search This thread

Weaponx525

Dec 11, 2011
I took my phone apart following the instructions and I found that the inner lining of the power button was full of crud. I cleaned it with alcohol, blew it off and everything works awesome now! Thanks to op,

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

kylereid

Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
It worked! Brilliant!

Thank you to all in this thread. My girlfriend's Galaxy S2X (T989D) had this issue. Took it apart and sprayed the internal power button with electronics cleaner (not made by CRC, but still an electronics cleaner), but initially it didn't work. To fix it, I sprayed it and push the internal power button multiple times, spray again, press multiple times... repeat.

I also cleaned out the outer plastic button that covers the internal power button (the thing you actually, physically press). There seemed to be either dirt or dust stopping that button from rebounding after the initial push. This, in turn, pushed against the internal power button (the one on the chip) and kept turning the phone and off.

It took me a good 30 min of spraying and pushing the button. But, after it all, it was good to go! 24+ hrs and no issues. Even tossed on the newest PA 4.4.2 Beta. ;)

my buttons were sticking ( power button and volume down ) to on my phone , it got to the point where the power button was no longer working and my phone was out of warranty. I just decided to take phone apart and disassemble it and then i located the power button and used some " CRC QD Electronic Cleaner " and just sprayed it (using the straw that CRC comes with) directly into the power button (when i say "spray" i mean i pushed the spray button for about 1 second). After spraying it i pressed the button like 20 times, then i sprayed some more and while spraying (spray for 1 second) i was pushing the button about another 20-30 times. I repeated the spray and push cycle about 10 times (which means i probably pressed the power button over 300 times ), I waited about 5 mins to make sure it was "dry" and then i put the battery back in and test it and It seemed to have cleaned it out and now my power button worked. Then i put everything back together.

Note: I tried to spray and press it with the phone with the enclosure/case/body on but the button cover blocks the actual button and i was forced to actually disassemble the case, its not to hard just looks intimidating. whole process took me about 45 mins first time.

Note 2: CRC QD Electronic Cleaner can also be found at most local auto parts stores BE SURE TO GET THAT BRAND as it is non-conductive, i repeat GET THAT EXACT BRAND/MODEL Cleaner, cheaper brands might be conductive despite it saying it is safe or does not dry as fast and who knows what might happen, CRC is a known well brand and has a good rep)

original thread there http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20910029

...Hey where did that "thanks" button go!!... :)

VPrU5.jpg

keywords: power volume up down rocker button push stuck stick sticky unstick clogged jam jammed dirty dirt auto automatically

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
Thank you to all in this thread. My girlfriend's Galaxy S2X (T989D) had this issue. Took it apart and sprayed the internal power button with electronics cleaner (not made by CRC, but still an electronics cleaner), but initially it didn't work. To fix it, I sprayed it and push the internal power button multiple times, spray again, press multiple times... repeat.

I also cleaned out the outer plastic button that covers the internal power button (the thing you actually, physically press). There seemed to be either dirt or dust stopping that button from rebounding after the initial push. This, in turn, pushed against the internal power button (the one on the chip) and kept turning the phone and off.

It took me a good 30 min of spraying and pushing the button. But, after it all, it was good to go! 24+ hrs and no issues. Even tossed on the newest PA 4.4.2 Beta. ;)

glad it worked out , have fun with the phone.

dnzprmksz

Dec 17, 2012
xboxturkiye.org
Really Works

my boys phone did that... I just started to bang the power button with a eraser !! that did the trick

This sounds crazy but this method really works! I am trying to save my phone for last 6 hours but no method was useful. I thought that you were just kidding. However, I tried the eraser method :D and it surprisingly solved my problem. Thank you for this cheap and easy method :laugh:

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
i just recently fixed another S2 power button that was STUCK as if the power button was constantly being pushed. I had to disassemble the phone and spray the CRC Cleaner into the button and press the button literately like 3000-4000 times (no joke, i am serious). i also sprayed the sprayed into it like every 15-20 seconds, this was the most stubborn one i came across to fix, but i fixed it (the s2 owner saw his phone drenched in crc cleaner lol and he was like... "its OK..it needs a new power button"...i was like "let me try a few me times".... and boom there it worked)!!

KCO

Jul 9, 2010
Santiago
I had the damn problem and solve it by removing the screws and just went back to put the cover, then the cover case and so I've used it for months, not noticed that I did not put the screws :cool:

kragar00

Feb 14, 2014
Philadelphia
This was a huge help. I have an S3 from AT&T. Booting normally or into download only got me a few second of up time. Recovery seemed stable (weird, huh?) I tried several things thinking it was a problem with the ROM or bootloader or something.

I ended up opening the whole thing up, tapping the button on the side with the end of my (very) little screwdriver, spraying it with canned air, and putting it back together. So far so good!

I still intend to replace the power button, but this saved me in the short term. Thanks!

luxkore

Aug 19, 2014
This was a huge help. I have an S3 from AT&T. Booting normally or into download only got me a few second of up time. Recovery seemed stable (weird, huh?) I tried several things thinking it was a problem with the ROM or bootloader or something.

I ended up opening the whole thing up, tapping the button on the side with the end of my (very) little screwdriver, spraying it with canned air, and putting it back together. So far so good!

I still intend to replace the power button, but this saved me in the short term. Thanks!

Unfortunately, tapping never really worked for me, so I had a friend reflux the power button for me. Works like a charm now ;)

Joker87

Jun 24, 2011
Perugia
I have this problem on a Galaxy S3, lately started becoming annoying, most the times I press the power button on the lower edge it reboots and keeps loop booting till I press it a few times.
Today I disassembled my phone and cleaned the power button from dust with air compressed and a small screwdriver, hope it works!

PS: nothing to do... Keeps stucking every time I press it from the lower edge... I'm gonna buy this replacement for 6,50 euros...

Last edited:

thadustman

Dec 15, 2011
Mine was stuck on a content vibrate finally after just rebooting when nocked sometimes... I ended up removing the otton from the board to just use plug to bout it and volume key to wake but.. Now out will boot get on and then aftet a few secs start over. why ideas? does the botton break power or connect it? I thought it connected so no button would mean not pressing power no rrset. Should I permanently short thend points?

Sent from my SGH-T759 using XDA Free mobile app

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
Mine was stuck on a content vibrate finally after just rebooting when nocked sometimes... I ended up removing the otton from the board to just use plug to bout it and volume key to wake but.. Now out will boot get on and then aftet a few secs start over. why ideas? does the botton break power or connect it? I thought it connected so no button would mean not pressing power no rrset. Should I permanently short thend points?

Sent from my SGH-T759 using XDA Free mobile app

its hard to understand what you are trying to say, your english is a little hard to understand.

ivanjkd

Aug 1, 2011
This is what helped my cause. Solved in about 15 minutes, now i have been testing it for about 3 hours and it is working fine. Before that, I couldn't even get it to start, it constantly went on and two seconds later off when the battery was inserted.

Just a gentle press with thin pliers did the trick. I guess it is because it is the most abused button on your phone.

**Note, this is for Galaxy S4, but i guess they all have the same buttons?

Hope someone can find this helpfull..

Here is the image.
mghzy4y.jpg

Reactions: UwaisKhan

Joker87

Jun 24, 2011
Perugia
I have this problem on a Galaxy S3, lately started becoming annoying, most the times I press the power button on the lower edge it reboots and keeps loop booting till I press it a few times.
Today I disassembled my phone and cleaned the power button from dust with air compressed and a small screwdriver, hope it works!

PS: nothing to do... Keeps stucking every time I press it from the lower edge... I'm gonna buy this replacement for 6,50 euros...

Eventually I solved this by pressing it quickly dozens of Time, as other user suggested

XeoNoX

Oct 25, 2010
Eventually I solved this by pressing it quickly dozens of Time, as other user suggested

unless its physically broken that normally works, it just takes alot of "presses" ....i recently did my friends spraying the crc cleaner and must of pushed the button over 300 times no exageration. it worked for about a month and i had to repeat the processes and after the 2nd time its worked for the past 4/5 months . its pretty much just a bunch of "gunk" (dust/dirt/sludge) that gets stuck in there

sw6lee

Apr 20, 2011
First and foremost, you attempt this at your own risk and I am not responsible for what happens to your device. This saved me from buying a new phone when I had an unidentifiable and persistent black screen/boot loop

Symptoms you are boot looping due to your power button sticking:
1. Black screen with intermittent vibrating
2. Phone restarts during boot animation
3. Unable to enter recovery before phone restarts
4. Unable to enter download mode before restart
5. USB JIG forces phone into download mode and restart occurs
6. Phone turns on when battery is inserted

This fix will only work if the button is STUCK and not defective. Remove back cover and battery. Remove the 6 screws on the back of the phone and gently pry the housing off.

TAuAoEvvdCiuQtuj.medium

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Samsung+Galaxy+s+2+(T-mobile)(T989)+Phone/8179/1

After that, find the power button. Using a small flat head screwdriver gently push the button cover away from the mechanical button and try to press the mechanical button in to see if you can still feel it "click". After that, reassembled and test. Hope it works for you too.

Mine doesn't always reboot, but the power button is just super sensitive. If I touch it, the screen comes on and off.
My question about this fix is though..what does pushing away the button cover from mechanical button do? For me, I took the whole thing apart, and the mechanical button clicks nicely with a clicking sound, but if I assemble everything, without any clicking sound, just touching the power button turns on and off the screen. Any idea?? Will this fix it for me??

Thank you, and I hope someone replies..

chuggybeer

May 11, 2015
There is a lot of great information in this thread.

Obviously what works for one person may work for several, or it may work for no one else.

With that in mind I'd like to share what worked with mine.

I disassembled my phone, took the motherboard out (the part that looks like a lowercase "g"), turned it on its side so that the little white power button was facing UP, drenched the tip of a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol, and just repeatedly pressed the button with the Q-tip a dozen times. I put it back together and voila it worked!

Before this I tried a lot of different things but I think what made the difference was the *amount* of rubbing alcohol I used. Up until that point I had been kind of shy about making the Q-tip tip anymore than damp.

Anyway just thought I'd share what worked for me. Your mileage may vary, obviously. Good luck everyone!

UwaisKhan

Nov 5, 2014
Johannesburg
FIXED

Hi all

I just wanted to add that I opened my phone (which is actually quite easy to do- Youtube it) and blew into the power button as hard as I could. I then took a toothbrush and brushed all over the button. I blew again while I was pressing the button, put everything back together and Voila! All thanks to you amazing people!

(I used a blade to open the screws. You do not need 'professional tools' but it is preferred)

BlackholeForever

Sep 16, 2015
Same thing happened to me as well. Brought it into a place and the guy installed a power button but unfortunately it didn't work. Upon further inspection, we realized that it is the mother board. So I had him basically make it so you can't even press the power button at all, it was stationary. That took the problem away... No more boot loop...

For unlocking the screen, I turned on the "volume rocker unlocks screen"

To lock the screen, I downloaded a lock screen app.

To power up the phone, I would hold down the volume rockers and plug the phone into a computer like I was going into download mode. Then I would just press volume up and reboot the phone.

It was a slight inconvenience but it worked.

Also, T-Mobile replaced my phone for free under warranty. If you call them and they say they can't, very politely say thank you and let them go. And then immediately call back and get somebody else. Do this 3 or 4 times if you have to. Somebody will be having a good day and decide to help you out.

Good Luck, I hope this helped.

Lol... someone else in here mentioned that this problem is essentially an indicator that your power button is failing - I think they might be right. Mine did this [failure] sometime back, and I got it back within a few minutes.

A couple days ago, it did it again, and I tried everything under the sun [which is pretty much documented in this thread] to get it to come back to life to no avail.

At the end, I was fudging with the power button with a pair of pliers along the horizontal plane, because I thought it wasn't sitting parallel with the motherboard, and I must have broke it... it doesn't work at all, but it's no longer caught in the boot loop, either.

Now I'm operating my phone in the same manner as quoted above, lol. Oh well, at least I'm up and running and have a little time to ponder my next move (e.g., new phone, replace power button entirely, etc etc.).

Hope this helps... :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my buttons were sticking ( power button and volume down ) to on my phone , it got to the point where the power button was no longer working and my phone was out of warranty. I just decided to take phone apart and disassemble it and then i located the power button and used some " CRC QD Electronic Cleaner " and just sprayed it (using the straw that CRC comes with) directly into the power button (when i say "spray" i mean i pushed the spray button for about 1 second). After spraying it i pressed the button like 20 times, then i sprayed some more and while spraying (spray for 1 second) i was pushing the button about another 20-30 times. I repeated the spray and push cycle about 10 times (which means i probably pressed the power button over 300 times ), I waited about 5 mins to make sure it was "dry" and then i put the battery back in and test it and It seemed to have cleaned it out and now my power button worked. Then i put everything back together.

Note: I tried to spray and press it with the phone with the enclosure/case/body on but the button cover blocks the actual button and i was forced to actually disassemble the case, its not to hard just looks intimidating. whole process took me about 45 mins first time.

Note 2: CRC QD Electronic Cleaner can also be found at most local auto parts stores BE SURE TO GET THAT BRAND as it is non-conductive, i repeat GET THAT EXACT BRAND/MODEL Cleaner, cheaper brands might be conductive despite it saying it is safe or does not dry as fast and who knows what might happen, CRC is a known well brand and has a good rep)

original thread there http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20910029

...Hey where did that "thanks" button go!!... :)

VPrU5.jpg

keywords: power volume up down rocker button push stuck stick sticky unstick clogged jam jammed dirty dirt auto automatically
    First and foremost, you attempt this at your own risk and I am not responsible for what happens to your device. This saved me from buying a new phone when I had an unidentifiable and persistent black screen/boot loop

Symptoms you are boot looping due to your power button sticking:
    1. Black screen with intermittent vibrating
    2. Phone restarts during boot animation
    3. Unable to enter recovery before phone restarts
    4. Unable to enter download mode before restart
    5. USB JIG forces phone into download mode and restart occurs
    6. Phone turns on when battery is inserted

This fix will only work if the button is STUCK and not defective. Remove back cover and battery. Remove the 6 screws on the back of the phone and gently pry the housing off.

TAuAoEvvdCiuQtuj.medium

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Samsung+Galaxy+s+2+(T-mobile)(T989)+Phone/8179/1

After that, find the power button. Using a small flat head screwdriver gently push the button cover away from the mechanical button and try to press the mechanical button in to see if you can still feel it "click". After that, reassembled and test. Hope it works for you too.
    my boys phone did that... I just started to bang the power button with a eraser !! that did the trick
    I made this account just so I could give my 2 cents here. I was having random reboot problems with my sgs2 and it would vibrate on a black screen after rebooting etc. I took the back casing off by taking out screws and prying off plastic backing and just hit the power button with an air can while pressing the power button and voila, now my phone isnt having the issue anymore. Thought id have to replace the button but it seemed to be working fine so i thought id try the air can first. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the direction of it being the power button, wouldnt have guessed that myself.
    I posted a few months ago, but people only seem to read the first few or the last few posts. :)

Bottom line:
    Yes, your power switch is bad. No, squirting/taping/smacking/poking the switch will not fix it for long.
    (If dust/dirt has physically jammed it, cleaning may resolve the issue)

Several eBay sellers have this switch for under $10:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sgh-t989+s+ii+power+switch

I replaced mine myself, but you have to be very handy with a soldering iron. If you're not a soldering wiz, you can ship it in for repair:
    $45 (switch & service) "MobileTechVideos" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Button-Repair-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II--NOTE-MORE-/320910836052
    $40 (switch & service) "GeekSales" - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Swit...-SGH-T989-Samsung-Fix-Bad-Button/151826035753
    $30 (service only) "T989_refurb" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/GALAXY-SII-S2-SGH-T989-TMOBILE-REPAIR-SERVICE-/321080500292