[Tool] Which IDE do you prefer? Eclipse, Android Studio or something else?

OP andreait15

14th January 2015, 06:06 AM   |  #61  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
More
Eclipse
15th January 2015, 10:50 PM   |  #62  
Flag Jacksonville

23 posts
More
I have used the enhanced version of Eclipse (MyEclipse from Genuitec) for many years. I've tried AS several times. Initially my opinion was that it was way more complicated than MyEclipse, but you soon become used to that and can take advantage of its capabilities. Like IDEA J on which it's based it is very keyboard-centric. Speed of development is no different from MyEclipse (IMHO). However, it is often not stable. I have encountered lock ups several times despite running Windows Pro with 16 gigs of ram. Gradle hs a steep learningcurve but is more powerful than Ant, all though Ant has never hindered me.
So, overall I'm waiting for it to mature before I leave Eclipse behind.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using XDA Free mobile app
22nd January 2015, 10:03 AM   |  #63  

1 posts
VS2015
It says here that Visual Studio 2015 preview enables cross platform development. And I know that VS is pretty damn good IDE when it comes to almost everything, so one can only hope that it'll be an adequate alternative for Eclipse\Android Studio. I use VS2012 for .net development and it has this IncrediBuild plugin that accelerates builds, and I read here that it's available for cross-platform projects on the 2015 preview, I don't think other IDE's can keep up with that - it's really good.
30th January 2015, 11:07 PM   |  #64  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
More
Plug
I've been using eclipse but want to check out Android Studio.
5th February 2015, 11:15 PM   |  #65  

1 posts
Qt Creator
Since I hate Java as a language, i prefer C++ even for Android development. Qt Creator is what i want and what i need. Developing with Qt and C++ has its limitations, of course, but there are workarounds (unfortunately requires developing with Java), and for those workarounds, i used AS up to now, just to have Java code completion and ALT+ENTER auto include features, then when the hard work is done, moved the Java files back to my natural habitat; Qt Creator. I may use Eclipse, IntelliJ, or any other IDE for Java, does not matter for me since it will be only a temporary IDE, but if i remember correctly, back in my C# days, IntelliJ is created by the developers of ReSharper. I trust those guys. It must be the best IDE for the work, i can tell, even if I never tried it once.
7th February 2015, 01:59 AM   |  #66  

13 posts
Android Studio
When Google announced AS, I decided to give it a try. Compare to eclipse, AS is a really complicated IDE. Everything just load and load and load (because of the download of gradle. It just takes forever) so I don't like AS at first. But after a while, as AS and gradle is more polished, the IDE now is actually quite a joy to use. Oh and multiple cursor, Sublime Text style. That feature is really awesome!
1st March 2015, 02:13 PM   |  #67  
Kiev
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
Android Studio uses many memory, but Eclipse not)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread