Tronsmart PS7 MTK6592 7" Phablet Unboxing, Review, and Root!

Search This thread

natostanco

Mar 5, 2010
can somebody help? this is the procedure I follow:
- flash 20140827_kk_nibiru M1 with spflash and already modified cwm
- boot sim is recognized, restore imei everything ok
- go into cwm wipe and flash kk_nibiru M1_ART.zip ota from sampei
- SIM card is not recognized, restoring imeis does nothing.

help?

sampei

can somebody help? this is the procedure I follow:
- flash 20140827_kk_nibiru M1 with spflash and already modified cwm
- boot sim is recognized, restore imei everything ok
- go into cwm wipe and flash kk_nibiru M1_ART.zip ota from sampei
- SIM card is not recognized, restoring imeis does nothing.

help?

Please flash non nibiru rom first !!
It's for U69/U7,A-ONE X,M81,etc.
Nibiru rom scatter file are totally different with our phone stock rom.

tabnabs

Mar 8, 2013
Nibiru rom has its benefits with better touch and improved battery life. However I find that the wifi and network signals are significantly weaker.
The major problem is accessing the SD card. I have tried all of the apps, manually editing platform.XML, and several xposed modules without any joy.
Has anyone managed to access SD card and if so how did they do it.
I did manage to install an English TWRP 2.8.0.0 after a fashion. It keeps throwing up font errors but appears to work.

Axelman8

Aug 26, 2009
Rotterdam
Hey guys

Off topic

Anyone got the white "Smartcover" of the a-one-X and is willing to sell and ship?
I want it, but cannot buy it anywhere anymore.

PM me if anyone ...

Thnx in advance

Axelman

Send from P7 4.4.2

marsian0

Aug 8, 2013
Hey guys

Off topic

Anyone got the white "Smartcover" of the a-one-X and is willing to sell and ship?
I want it, but cannot buy it anywhere anymore.

PM me if anyone ...

Thnx in advance

Axelman

Send from P7 4.4.2

In aliexpress there are plenty of them, i bought one for my wife months ago, not so resistant as the orange one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axelman8

marsian0

Aug 8, 2013
Hi dude
Thnx for the reply
If you can find one supplier that hasnt a "out of stock" product... You are "The man" ;)

Regards

Axelman

Send from P7 4.4.2

that's too bad.
These past days i've been using the lollipop themed version of the nibiru rom, not bad, fast and touch screen fine so the scroll. I also did a quick check to the last CoolUI rom, but i could't install gapps.
I switched from miui because after a while using it had many lags going from any app to homescreen (the just wait a sec..), maybe beacuse of the heavy themes i installed.
anyway, glad that we have many options to choose.

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
that's too bad.
These past days i've been using the lollipop themed version of the nibiru rom, not bad, fast and touch screen fine so the scroll. I also did a quick check to the last CoolUI rom, but i could't install gapps.
I switched from miui because after a while using it had many lags going from any app to homescreen (the just wait a sec..), maybe beacuse of the heavy themes i installed.
anyway, glad that we have many options to choose.

Since I'm using GMD GestureControl, I don't need to go to home screen anymore. Whenever I am, I can launch any app, and my favorite ones have an easy to remember gesture. As Android foreces you to have a homescreen, I've installed the smallest memory footprint that I've found on the market.. So no lags for me on MIUI. IMO, MIUI has the best looking call id screen on the market. There are some quirks I need to sort out though.

Have you tried removing the animations on the developer options?

marsian0

Aug 8, 2013
Since I'm using GMD GestureControl, I don't need to go to home screen anymore. Whenever I am, I can launch any app, and my favorite ones have an easy to remember gesture. As Android foreces you to have a homescreen, I've installed the smallest memory footprint that I've found on the market.. So no lags for me on MIUI. IMO, MIUI has the best looking call id screen on the market. There are some quirks I need to sort out though.

Have you tried removing the animations on the developer options?

Yeah, i did that, but i think the problem was the themes that i installed from the miui store, nice but heavy, probably the memory management is not optimized; i think i will revisit the rom once is updated.

the only thing i miss with these nibiru roms is the notification led that doesn't work, but not big deal.

sampei

Nibiru rom has its benefits with better touch and improved battery life. However I find that the wifi and network signals are significantly weaker.
The major problem is accessing the SD card. I have tried all of the apps, manually editing platform.XML, and several xposed modules without any joy.
Has anyone managed to access SD card and if so how did they do it.
I did manage to install an English TWRP 2.8.0.0 after a fashion. It keeps throwing up font errors but appears to work.

Try use Next App SD fix.

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
Try use Next App SD fix.

I've tried different SD fix apps for KK 4.4 and everyone says that the fix is already done, but I still cannot save from my camera directly to my external SD.

I've searched manually to see if the changes are applied and indeed, the changes are there. I don't know what's going on.

I wouldn't mind using my internal memory to store files and pictures, but the problem is that every time I flash a ROM, I lost all my internal media.

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010

installs but with errors (framework, systemui etc force closing).dirty install clean install w 3 wipes nothing works..back to the previous miui

EDIT may need to go back to complete procedure (marsian0)

EDIT2 could also be flashing through philz recovery though should not make difference..but then who knows I recall from other devices it would not always work (and the previous miui I had flashed using the mktdroid tools cwm not this touch version..now just using nandroid restore but done in philz cwm)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58932409&postcount=332

Last edited:

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
installs but with errors (framework, systemui etc force closing).dirty install clean install w 3 wipes nothing works..back to the previous miui

EDIT may need to go back to complete procedure (marsian0)

EDIT2 could also be flashing through philz recovery though should not make difference..but then who knows I recall from other devices it would not always work (and the previous miui I had flashed using the mktdroid tools cwm not this touch version..now just using nandroid restore but done in philz cwm)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58932409&postcount=332

I used Google Translate and this is what the author of the port wrote:

1, according to the official miui 03.04 version update, given the instability was reflected in the previous version, this version did not make any changes to the system, dpi, desktop layout, theme harmony, Dolby and so no, but because of the particularity of Jupiter and miui official restrict third-party transplants every opportunity to open a systymui error prompt, select OK does not affect the use, do not like the wait for the next version, or use a more perfect sixth edition, 5.2.13 is that now the official update miui Nothing substantial update, not the pursuit of the latest version.

2, not the perfect place, the default theme calendar, weather icon blank, you can use other unofficial theme of self-correction. No Hall and breathing lights.
3, transplant rom, hard to say perfect, affecting as much as possible to use bug fixes.

So it seems that this version is still not ready for our devices...

Please let us know if you happen to keep it running without many force closes.

Also, you didn't provided the password for the download. :)

Anyway, I'd install it without hesitation if not for the fact that I cannot make nandroid (or, in this case, TWRP) backups. And this is fundamental for a daily used main phone. Having to restore everything by hand on a work day is not possible in my case.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Reading on the Nibiru M1 forums, last week they posted a 4.4.2 ROM that emulates a Lollipop ROM. What caught my attention was this screenshot:

095318ennsnbbb4eln29xz.png

I guess they change it the version manually, but I don't know for sure. Is it possible that this is really a 5.0 ROM?

My guess is no. Is it possible to change Android versions with just a zip flash?

Last edited:
Reactions: mac231us

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
I used Google Translate and this is what the author of the port wrote:

1, according to the official miui 03.04 version update, given the instability was reflected in the previous version, this version did not make any changes to the system, dpi, desktop layout, theme harmony, Dolby and so no, but because of the particularity of Jupiter and miui official restrict third-party transplants every opportunity to open a systymui error prompt, select OK does not affect the use, do not like the wait for the next version, or use a more perfect sixth edition, 5.2.13 is that now the official update miui Nothing substantial update, not the pursuit of the latest version.

2, not the perfect place, the default theme calendar, weather icon blank, you can use other unofficial theme of self-correction. No Hall and breathing lights.
3, transplant rom, hard to say perfect, affecting as much as possible to use bug fixes.

So it seems that this version is still not ready for our devices...

Please let us know if you happen to keep it running without many force closes.

Also, you didn't provided the password for the download. :)

Anyway, I'd install it without hesitation if not for the fact that I cannot make nandroid (or, in this case, TWRP) backups. And this is fundamental for a daily used main phone. Having to restore everything by hand on a work day is not possible in my case.

sorry about password..thought direct link took care of that

strange you cannot make backups..have been doing and restoring through the philz recovery no issue at that

here it is

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1kTyzhrT

password

9ge2

good work in going over the translation..just thought usual disclaimers etc...no did not get far with it..way too many force closes..some roms they go away after first few..these are persistent and make rom totally unusable

Reactions: estuardo4

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
sorry about password..thought direct link took care of that

strange you cannot make backups..have been doing and restoring through the philz recovery no issue at that

here it is

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1kTyzhrT

password

9ge2

good work in going over the translation..just thought usual disclaimers etc...no did not get far with it..way too many force closes..some roms they go away after first few..these are persistent and make rom totally unusable

Thank you.

Do you have time to test the supposedly 5.0 update? The one I posted the image. I have it already on my SD Card, but I'm thorn on testing it.

I'm using TWRP 2.5 in Chinese. It's the only one that has allowed me to install zip images without losing IMEIs. Do you have a link and the description for the one you are using? TY

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Thank you.

Do you have time to test the supposedly 5.0 update? The one I posted the image. I have it already on my SD Card, but I'm thorn on testing it.

I'm using TWRP 2.5 in Chinese. It's the only one that has allowed me to install zip images without losing IMEIs. Do you have a link and the description for the one you are using? TY

Unfortunately no time now as I need the phone for texting etc..in middle of helping someone on their school work...maybe later in the week-I have been using the philz (But touch CWM) posted by sampei

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59130731&postcount=372

I went through the steps by marsian0 and they worked...retained the imei's initially used cwm from the mktdroid tools to flash miui....then switched to the philz cwm touch (need to do nandroid again as do not think the mktdroid cwm and the philz cwm are interchangeable as far as backups go..bseides my experience back in june was that the mktdroid cwm backups are not reliable esp when they get to the restoring data part)

edit: rooted using Vroot

Reactions: estuardo4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok noted. I know why camera is not work. Because I purposely didn't port so.camera.custom.lib etc.
    So if I port lib files like previous rom it will be delete 1080p recording feature. But I don't know why wifi and 3G got affected functions.

Anyway I can't find L style rom for 12830 could you tell me the url? Thx.
    L Style Rom
    https://yadi.sk/d/EqYjf8ixfh4Ay
    Lewa
    https://yadi.sk/d/2eKkZCNhfi9KU
    MIUI
    https://yadi.sk/d/waofV06lfk2qj
    This is the link for the nibiru M1 Forum:
    http://bbs.nbru.cn/forum-59-1.html

Link for the MIUI6 rom:
    http://pan.baidu.com/s/1jG9VWKA
    Password: ucpb

The procedure i used to flash without losing imeis was simple.
    Flash Nibiru ROM posted by sampei few pages back, through SPFlashtools, UPGRADE Firmware option.
    After that, created CWM recovery using MTKDroid tools, using boot.img from this rom
    Flashed recovery only to phone through SPFlashtools
    Previuously i downloaded MIUI rom to my sdcard
    booted into recovery
    factory data reset
    install miui zip
    factory data reset
    reboot
    thats all, imeis working
    after checking that all is fine, reboot into recovery again to flash gapps 4.4 and Supersu-v2.01 zip to root

the original comes with 420 dpi, i changed to 360, not too big.
    BEWARE as this rom uses phone storage as main sdcard0, backup your phone storage before flashing.

There are no new phones wih this form factor (7"), I am also waiting for Ulefone (mine is ulefone u69) to upgrade this model with 64bits processor, as they are lately making new phones with good specs.

Regards

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

How did you flashed miui? With cwm? I want also miui but once i've flashed and lost imeis. I dont have PC atm so i cant flash anyting with sp flashtool

MIUI6 is flashed through cwm. so you can try flashing it with your current cwm recovery, but first make backup of your current rom, i don't know if you lose your imeis in this way.

EDIT: i forgot, this rom has only 1GB for apps, so i flashed the 8GB zip posted by Sampei(thanks) few posts back, then:
    -make backup with cwm
    -flash 8gb zip (it it reboots phone, go again into recovery)
    -factory data reset
    -recover previuos backup
    -reboot and check your storage, it shoul be 8GB por apps.
    Tronsmart PS7 Review
    Original Link:
    http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=565&t=74134
    Note: The original link has bigger pics because it's not resized by photobucket.

Tronsmart PS7 Review!

Tronsmart has been on a roll lately with it's devices. I've reviewed several of them recently and have been impressed.
    For the past week I have been reviewing the Tronsmart PS7 Octa-Core Phablet.
    Tronsmart-PS71.jpg

Mod Edit: Commercial links removed.

title1.jpg

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the PS7 here are the specs:

7" 1920x1200 LTPS Screen
    MTK6592 Octa-core SOC at 1.7Ghz
    2GB of Ram
    16GB of Internal Storage
    Wifi B/G
    BT
    Micro-SD card Slot
    Dual-Sim slots(1 micro-sim, 1 sim)
    5MP Front Camera
    13MP Rear Camera w/Flash
    Micro-USB OTG port
    Headphone Jack
    Volume/Power Buttons
    3500mAh Removeable Battery
    GPS
    2G:GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G:WCDMA 850/2100MHz
    Android 4.2.2

What's in the Box:
    ps7_unbox012.jpg

Tronsmart PS7
    Headphones
    Micro-USB cable
    Power Adapter
    User Manual
    Screen Protector

First Impressions:

The Tronsmart PS7 is really massive for a phone, but when you consider it's intended purpose as a Phablet, then you'll see it's quite reasonable in size.
    Thin bezels make the PS7 appear smaller than it actually is. If comparing to many 7" tablets out there you can see it's smaller.

Size Comparisons:
    compare_2.jpg

Tronsmart PS7(7"), iNew i2000(5.7"), Zopo ZP980+(5"), iOcean X7(5")

compare_i2000.jpg

As you can see the PS7 is a bit larger than the i2000.

compare_x7.jpg

It dwarfs the X7.

compare_zp980.jpg

And the ZP980+

First Start:

home2.jpg

When I first booted the PS7 I was a little worried. The first boot took around 90 seconds. This is a little longer than I am used to.
    A reboot had the PS7 running in about 18 seconds.

The first thing you notice about the PS7 is the screen. The 1920x1200 screen is HUGE and very BRIGHT!
    It's so bright that I had to turn it down to minimum in order be comfortable in a darker room.
    The details, colors, and viewing angles are quite good.
    side1.jpg

side3.jpg

side2.jpg

side4.jpg

multitouch.jpg

No complaints about the touchscreen. It supports up to 10 simultaneous touches.

The PS7 has a good feel in my hands. It's a little too big for one handed use, but lends itself to two hand with no issues.
    Often on a larger device with bezels this thin I'll have accidental taps from holding it. I didn't experience that with the PS7.
    It's just the right size.

home.jpg

I popped a 64GB microsd card into the back of the PS7, connected to my wifi and was downloading apps within minutes.

settings_about.jpg

The About Phone Screen lists the following items:
    Model number:
    PS7
    Android Version:
    Kernel Version:
    3.4.39 root@android #1 Tue Mar 18 15:25:55 CST 2014
    Build Number:
    2719_v92_gq3015_20140325
    Baseband Version:
    MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.V21.P1, 2014/01/16 15:51

rootcheck.jpg

The Tronsmart PS7 comes without root access. I actually prefer it this way. Certain apps tend to be angry if root is detected.
    It's good to have a choice.

Cellular Connectivity:
    Using the PS7 as a phone is a pleasant experience. I didn't notice any odd echos, and the speakerphone works fine.
    It is a little daunting to hold a 7" phablet next to my head, so I recommend a bt headset.
    I wasn't expecting 3G to work since the PS7 only supports 850/2100Mhz for WCDMA, but I guess At&t has 3G on 850Mhz around me now.
    So I was able to get H speeds.(No H+ though)

Bluetooth:
    I tested the bluetooth with a car radio, headset, bt boombox, and keyboards. The PS7 did well in all tests.

Battery Life:
    ps7_unbox022.jpg

The battery life on the PS7 is very decent. I found that with mixed use the 3500mAh battery lasted me the entire day.
    I also found that on standby the PS7 just barely sips power. I managed to get over 4 days(wifi on, checking email every so often, minimal browsing)
    For screen on time I was able to stream HD video to the PS7 for a little over 6 hours before I was down to 25% battery.
    Personally I'd like to see phones or tablets with a double size battery option, but the 3500mAh seems to last long enough for me.

Wireless Display:
    The settings menu has an option for Wireless Display, but there is no where to actually turn it on. I'm told that a new firmware update will fix this problem.
    I'll be testing it out with my Tronsmart T1000 Ezcast dongle.

Media Playback:
    I tested several apps to check how the Tronsmart PS7 plays media both locally and from the web.

XBMC:
    xbmc_1.jpg

The first one I downloaded was an XBMC stable build. I was expecting it to launch quickly and was not let down. It took about 5 seconds.
    I was able to playback many 1080p and 720p files without any issues.
    The 7" screen works well with XBMC, and for the first time on a phone I can use the onscreen keyboard!
    With 2GB of ram there is plenty left over after launching XBMC.
    xbmc_2.jpg

MX Player:
    The only real problem was with the audio codecs. I don't believe the MTK6592 has support for AC3 or DTS audio built in.
    I had to choose software decoder for AC3 files and installed the DTS codecs for MX Player in order to get this to work.

Dice Player:
    Most files played well in HW mode. The MTK6592 in the is more than addequate to playback 1080p in software decoding mode. DTS and AC3 were properly decoded and played back.

Netflix:
    netflix.jpg

Videos played smooth in HD and subtitles/audio were in sync. At first it seemed that Netflix was having issues. It kept switching between high quality and low quality. A pause to let it buffer quickly ironed that out.

HBO Go:
    hbo_go.jpg

Everything looked and sounded great.

Crackle:
    crackle.jpg

Works like a charm.

GPS:
    Left side indoors Right side outdoors wooded/cloudy area
    gpstest1.jpg

I had no issues with GPS in the PS7. After turning it on I was locked onto 17 satellites within 12 seconds.(This was on a very clear day)
    Accuracy was good within 4 feet. When compared to other MTK6592 phones, it seems like the PS7 has better than average GPS signal.

Compass:
    The compass works well.
    skymap_1.jpg

Google Sky Maps responded properly.

FM Radio:
    fmradio_1.jpg

One of my favorite things about the MTK chipsets I've used is the FM Radio.
    The inlcuded headphones act as an antenna for the FM Radio. It's possible to record music and talkshows directly onto the PS7.
    The FM Radio app also identifies what song and station are currently playing.

Wifi
    wifi_1.jpg

Wifi reception is very good. My routers we're on the other side of the house.

Front Camera:
    The front camera claims to be 5MP, but is most likely 3MP interpolated to 5MP. Quality is still decent.

Rear Camera:
    The rear camera is 13MP, and provides a decent image. The flash works and is timed right, but it could be a little brighter. It's not too great for low light shots.
    Considering most 7" tablets I've seen have 5MP rear cameras with no flash, the PS7 does well in this category.

Pics taken with PS7 in shade/no flash:(more coming on next nice day)
    IMG_20140507_190303.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190303.jpg

IMG_20140507_190317.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190317.jpg

IMG_20140507_190401.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190401.jpg

IMG_20140507_190412.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190412.jpg

Benchmarks:
    I tested the PS7 with Antutu, Quadrant, Vellamo, GFXBench, 3DMark, and NenaMark2.

Antutu:
    antutu_01_02.jpg

The PS7 scored 27482 on it's first try.
    antutu_03_05.jpg

Quadrant Standard Edition:
    quadrant_01_02.jpg

The PS7 managed an impressive 14429.
    quadrant_03_05.jpg

Vellamo:
    vellamo_1.jpg

The PS7 scored a 2002 in the HTML 5 test and 676 in the METAL test.

GFXBench:
    gfxbench_01_03.jpg

3DMark:
    3dmark_01_03.jpg

3dmark_04_05.jpg

NenaMark2:
    nenamark.jpg

Conclusion:

The Tronsmart PS7 is a great phablet! This size is just about perfect. It's bigger than most phones, yet small enough to still fit in my jeans pocket.
    Screen quality is a huge plus when browsing the web or watching videos. Performance is great even though it's running at 1920x1200 resolution.
    I'll never have to carry my phone and my tablet with me. The PS7 replaces both!
    My only real gripe with the PS7 is the lack of backlight for the navigation keys. This turns into a non-issue once you get used to the locations.
    Stock Firmware:
    coming soon

How to Root the Tronsmart PS7!

Original Link:
    http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=565&t=74135

How to Root the Tronsmart PS7!

It's super easy to get a basic root on the Tronsmart PS7.

Steps:
    1)On the PS7 go into Settings-->Security--->Enable Unknown Sources
    screen_frama_set1.jpg

screen_frama_set2.jpg

2)Download and install Framaroot-1.9.1 from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2130276

3)Launch Framaroot, Select the "Barahir" option and reboot
    screen_frama1.jpg

screen_frama2.jpg

4)Enjoy your rooted PS7
    screen_frama3.jpg
    i was thinking of using somthing like recuva, and try to recover from internal memory from your desktop computer, but i don't know if it could be possible because of different layouts of partitions..
    Search on xda for "Recover deleted files from Internal Memory", there are some threads about it. I Hope it helps.

I finally was able to restore all my missing apps. Fortunately I have several apps synced with my (and theirs) cloud accounts.

But I have a question: do you happen to know if I need the sd fix for Kit Kat now? I have three camera apps and I want that all store the pics on my sd card. So far, all three are storing the pics just fine, but I don't want to have a later surprise.

I don't think it is a placebo effect the scrolling. It is smoother than 4.4.2 (and 4.2.2).

I'm liking this ROM, but I miss some Xposed framework mods, but it is not a ROM's fault. It is because I'm using ART runtime right now. Do you happen to know any app that allows to mod the framework and can be used on ART?

Also, just a side note for anybody wishing to flash a ROM using SP Flashtools: In order for the flash to start, you need to connect your phone pushing VOL+ and Power at the same time. And if you don't want to lose the contents of your internal storage, unmark both EBR1 and EBR2 on the list of files to flash.