Post Reply

[HOW TO] [GUIDE] [Q&A] - Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 ROOT & Then Some

OP Franzie3

24th February 2015, 05:39 PM   |  #361  
jayjr1105's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
359 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by myedroid

Thanks for that!

So this should read as:

  1. Download Odin 3.09
  2. Flash the NCG kernel found in this thread.
  3. Run the towelroot apk to root.
  4. Flash the NK7 kernel I found.
  5. Follow instructions in this thread to get Safestrap working.
  6. DO NOT ake the OTA update to OA8 (Lollipop).
  7. Follow instructions in this thread to update to OA8 and keep root?

One final question. If i flash the kernel, it changes nothing but the underlying kernel for the os, so all my apps, contacts, media etc stays on the phone. Some apps may not run properly if there is a dependency on the previous kernel, but this should be set to rights once I reflash the kernel? Just don't want to lose data to root without knowing its going to happen, so that i can back up specific files.

Thanks!

Are you on 5.0? Flashing a KK kernel on 5.0 would break it wouldn't it?
24th February 2015, 05:48 PM   |  #362  
myedroid's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Are you on 5.0? Flashing a KK kernel on 5.0 would break it wouldn't it?

Sorry, from a couple pages back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myedroid

Hey all.

Running build number KTU84P.G900VVRU1ANK7. Looks like kernel date is Jan2 2015.

I have seen a few posts about flashing kernels with Odin, using towelroot, then reflashing nk7? I am lost a bit, and would love for someone to point me to the right posts with the right information on how to get this s5 root-able.

Thanks a million guys!
***SNIP***

So I am on KK currently. I could not find anything for NK7 specifically and so wrote up a quick step by step to hopefully verify for myself, but to have something in this thread for those that come after me.

I have successfully run steps 1-6 and am currently running a rooted NK7 kernel. I am debating, now that I am here, on waiting to do the OA8 update, until we have some sort of recovery.
Last edited by myedroid; 24th February 2015 at 09:32 PM.
1st March 2015, 01:50 AM   |  #363  
5ft24's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bellingham
Thanks Meter: 117
 
652 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
If you follow the instructions as written, it works fine
Yesterday, 11:34 PM   |  #364  
Member
Flag DFW Metroplex
Thanks Meter: 1
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Question
From a couple of posts back....

Quote:
Originally Posted by myedroid


So this should read as:

  1. Download Odin 3.09
  2. Flash the NCG kernel found in this thread.
  3. Run the towelroot apk to root.
  4. Flash the NK7 kernel I found.
  5. Follow instructions in this thread to get Safestrap working.
  6. DO NOT ake the OTA update to OA8 (Lollipop).
  7. Follow instructions in this thread to update to OA8 and keep root?

I've been away from the rooting/customizing fun for awhile and have never rooted a Samsung, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm looking to simply root and remove bloatware (plus get access to TiBU). After looking at a number of forums, the above post seems like the most logical, and consistent with what I've read elsewhere. If I'm not looking to flash another ROM or move to Lollipop (though probably will later), do I just complete 1-4 above (and reject VZW 5.0 OTA update) to get a rooted Kit Kat S5? I'm currently on build NK7 with Kernel 3.4.0 dated Jan 2015 so not sure if it's even possible at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Yesterday, 11:37 PM   |  #365  
myedroid's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieg92

I've been away from the rooting/customizing fun for awhile and have never rooted a Samsung, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm looking to simply root and remove bloatware (plus get access to TiBU). After looking at a number of forums, the above post seems like the most logical, and consistent with what I've read elsewhere. If I'm not looking to flash another ROM or move to Lollipop (though probably will later), do I just complete 1-4 above (and reject VZW 5.0 OTA update) to get a rooted Kit Kat S5? I'm currently on build NK7 with Kernel 3.4.0 dated Jan 2015 so not sure if it's even possible at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yes, I was on the NK7 build and ran through those steps (1-6).

I did not move to Android 5.0 because for now, im happy with KitKat and some form of recovery. Follow those steps (1-6) using the links i provided and you will end up with a rooted KitKat S5.

***EDIT*** Oh, and I also have TiBu installed so you could remove bloat once those steps have been followed.

See the below from the first part of this thread for apps to remove:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzie3

Basic Tools & Fixes


Here is a list of apps safe to remove that will not cause you to have to have issues. This is how they appear in TiBu

This list will grow with time. Remember remove them at your own risk
Accessories
Amazon
Amzon app suite
Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Appstore release
Audible
Caller Name ID
Cloud
HP Print Service Plugin
Message+
My Verizon Mobile
NFL Mobile
POLARIS Office 5
Slacker
Verizon Tones
Verizon Support & Protection
Voicemail
VZ Navigator

Fellow XDA memeber @xboxexpert has created a batch file method of removing bloat. See His thread HERE

Last edited by myedroid; Yesterday at 11:41 PM.
Today, 12:02 AM   |  #366  
Member
Flag DFW Metroplex
Thanks Meter: 1
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by myedroid

<snip> Follow those steps (1-6) using the links i provided and you will end up with a rooted KitKat S5.

Is the SafeStrap installation (step 5) necessary for rooted Kit Kat? Looks like development may have stopped on it. I'm not looking to install any other ROMs for the foreseeable future.
Today, 12:13 AM   |  #367  
myedroid's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieg92

Is the SafeStrap installation (step 5) necessary for rooted Kit Kat? Looks like development may have stopped on it. I'm not looking to install any other ROMs for the foreseeable future.

Nah, I just like having a recovery. You can do 1-4 and be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to myedroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 12:17 AM   |  #368  
Member
Flag DFW Metroplex
Thanks Meter: 1
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by myedroid

Nah, I just like having a recovery. You can do 1-4 and be good.

Thanks for the info!
Today, 05:23 AM   |  #369  
Member
Flag DFW Metroplex
Thanks Meter: 1
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by myedroid

Nah, I just like having a recovery. You can do 1-4 and be good.

Worked like a champ!

I forgot how much fun it is to have control over the device I purchased. I'm half-tempted to install SafeStrap and play around with a custom ROM or two!

But, for now, I'm just going to enjoy my new-found freedom.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes