Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

[PHOTOS] ISOCELL camera discussion - my review is up!

Yesterday, 01:30 PM   |  #751  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 391
 
1,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoner

I was looking at this video. It's from the original S5 with the ISOCELL, and I ve got a query about it.

At approx 25secs, camera starts shooting towards trees/sky. This is when it starts to get 'dark'. Is that considered to be a 'low-light' scenario as such?

Facing towards the sky - and especially a cloudy sky - makes the phone lose focus and darken everything else in its path i.e. in this case the leaves from the trees - they become darker and darker as the phone starts facing the clouds. This sample is claimed to be shot without HDR. Wouldn't HDR brighten the leaves up and possibly capture a 'more reallistic' sky?

In such conditions, would the ISOCELL produce a brighter video compared to the IMX240 (which is known to behave better under low-light conditions). Or is my assumption on this particular area completely irrelevant to the HDR?

You need HDR to bright up the foreground, only HDR can display both sky and leaves. ISOCell would not make a brighter video, but it usually produce a more detailed leaves at outdoor.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEndHK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 02:24 PM   |  #752  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
61 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
So neither ISOCELL or Sony Exmor RS have any advantage in brightening up dark areas like this - it's only a question of whether HDR is ON or OFF, right?

Is that particular scenario considered as 'low-light' conditions? I mean, there is plenty of light on the scene, it's just that facing towards the sky makes things dark...

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEndHK

You need HDR to bright up the foreground, only HDR can display both sky and leaves. ISOCell would not make a brighter video, but it usually produce a more detailed leaves at outdoor.

Yesterday, 04:02 PM   |  #753  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
43 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
O. T : I've seen some videos about galaxy s6 and its pro mode but.....there's nothing about shutter speed and raw photo. I'm starting think only Google implemented new api 2 camera
Today, 04:26 AM   |  #754  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 391
 
1,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoner

So neither ISOCELL or Sony Exmor RS have any advantage in brightening up dark areas like this - it's only a question of whether HDR is ON or OFF, right?

Is that particular scenario considered as 'low-light' conditions? I mean, there is plenty of light on the scene, it's just that facing towards the sky makes things dark...

Cheers

Sensor type doesn't matter in this case because has enough light for all type of sensor. It's all about how bad of the auto exposure meter method(average/center/spot) implemented and it is one of the worst area on camera phone or compact camera, you'll need a decent DSLR to handle it if you want the auto works out to be good without HDR helps.

Your concept is right in some parts. In such case, lower the shutter speed should also improved the result(but sky may get over exposed while foreground could show out now) but usually night mode will also take photo at high shutter speed at day light(when it detects many light there and think you wrong picked the scene mode), night mode only will take photo with slow shutter in dark environment only. You need a manual shutter speed supported camera phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEndHK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 10:33 AM   |  #755  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
61 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
First of all, cheers for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

Let me highlight the fact that I am only concerned about the video recording capabilities of the two sensors. I initially tried to draw some conclusions earlier on this thread.

You say it rather has to do with the implemented auto exposure meter method (which understandably suffers in mobile phones vs DSLR). Unfornately, in order to be able to make a direct comparison off the two sensors, we need identical samples to draw conclusions from. And the only ones I managed to find is this (good light) and this (low light). Under low light, the IMX240 retains more detail - no question. Under good light, ISOCELL seems to retain more detail in most areas. Like in the grass (or the leaves of the previous sample as you mentioned). And it somehow manages to brighten up areas better compared to the ExmorRS. But again, some areas (like the plastic people) seem more blurry in the ISOCELL sample.

If I am not mistaken, under video recording, you don't have many options to fidle with e.g. lower shutter speed. Most things are set automatically. So, in our previous sample with the trees when the phone is facing up, both sensors would behave more less the same., right? I am not interested in capturing the sky - I am actually interested only in brightening up the foreground (leaves). Apart from HDR, is there any other option I could use to get better results. Would any of the two sensors have any advantage here (no matter how small...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEndHK

Sensor type doesn't matter in this case because has enough light for all type of sensor. It's all about how bad of the auto exposure meter method(average/center/spot) implemented and it is one of the worst area on camera phone or compact camera, you'll need a decent DSLR to handle it if you want the auto works out to be good without HDR helps.

Your concept is right in some parts. In such case, lower the shutter speed should also improved the result(but sky may get over exposed while foreground could show out now) but usually night mode will also take photo at high shutter speed at day light(when it detects many light there and think you wrong picked the scene mode), night mode only will take photo with slow shutter in dark environment only. You need a manual shutter speed supported camera phone.

Today, 04:19 PM   |  #756  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 391
 
1,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoner

First of all, cheers for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

Speaking of the raw performance, ISOCell performs better at outdoor in many condition but IMX240 comes very closely too. The major different is in minor areas like leaves and grasses.

However, it only true for photo mode because the video encoder seems to be greatly improved quality both day and night on Note4. So, you could find out IMX240 always beat ISOCell even at day time.

You can shoot HDR Video to solve the problem but only available in 1080P.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEndHK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 09:20 PM   |  #757  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
61 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
So, you are basically saying that chosing the IMX240 over the ISOCELL - as far as video recording is concerned - is a no brainer.

My only concern on this claim is the assumption that the IMX240 found in the Note 4, produces exactly the same results as the one found in the G901F. Does it, really? The latter lacks OIS, but I am not taking this into account, as I am not recording hand-held (usually tripod). So it's not a factor.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any video samples from the G901F in the comparison tool, so we can't really confirm that it's excatly the same quality as in the Note 4

It could be - that Samsung actually used the Plus version of the S5 as a guinea pig (as least as far as the camera is concerned) for the upcoming (at that time) Note 4....


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEndHK

Speaking of the raw performance, ISOCell performs better at outdoor in many condition but IMX240 comes very closely too. The major different is in minor areas like leaves and grasses.

However, it only true for photo mode because the video encoder seems to be greatly improved quality both day and night on Note4. So, you could find out IMX240 always beat ISOCell even at day time.

You can shoot HDR Video to solve the problem but only available in 1080P.

Last edited by jstoner; Today at 09:23 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes