FORUMS

Droid Turbo Lollipop OTA, 2015 Moto G Leaked – XDA TV

Android Lollipop for the Droid Turbo has been released. That and much more … more

EVLeaks Shows Off Possible BlackBerry Android Phone

It wasn’t too long ago that we received reports of BlackBerry planning to use … more

Mysterious GG1 Google Device Stops by FCC. Glass v2?

As the year progresses, we draw further away from Google’s annual I/O … more

Material and Material Dark Hit Samsung’s Theme Store

The latest version of Touchwiz, launched alongside the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, … more

[Q] Universal Remote advice

1,288 posts
Thanks Meter: 199

By Chahk, Senior Member on 11th April 2014, 12:55 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
10th May 2014, 11:26 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 199

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chahk

Well, I went ahead and ordered this ugly monstrosity. It's coming from Singapore, so it'll be a few weeks before it get here.

It's here, and it does a fine job at controlling the Fire TV. unfortunately it does a piss-poor job of controlling pretty much anything else. Contrary to the description, it has no "IR learning" functionality, but a simple list of codes instead. The list is quite limited, and only supports half of my devices. I'm done with cheap Chinese knock-offs, and will be ordering a Logitech Harmony remote instead.

[Update]:
Harmony Ultimate is here, and it controls everything I have except Fire TV. Aaaaarrrghhh! I'm ready to pull my hair out over here.

Last chance. I'm ordering one of those cheap USB IR receivers that people over at AVS Forums are saying work well with Fire TV, and teaching my Harmony the basic buttons (left, right, up, down, select, back, home.) If that doesn't work - all of it is going back to their respective manufacturers until they learn how to play nice with each other.

UPDATE 2:
Victory! After hooking up the IR receiver from the MCE remote to Fire TV, and teaching Harmony the basic keys, I can now control everything in my setup with a single remote. Of course the voice input from the Fire TV remote is missing, and since Harmony Ultimate has no keyboard, I'm stuck doing text entry letter-by-letter via the clunky mid-90's interface. It'll do for now, until I figure out a way to either bring QWERTY to Harmony, or get a USB hub for Fire TV so that I can use my RF micro-keyboard.

Now I need to do some wire management to take care of the spaghetti wiring from all these devices.

UPDATE 3:
Got a simple unpowered 4-port USB hub, plugged in both the IR receiver and an RF receiver, so now I can also use a micro-keyboard for doing text input. The living room is now wife-approved!
Last edited by Chahk; 19th May 2014 at 02:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chahk For This Useful Post: [ View ]

26th February 2015, 09:47 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Here's another "All-In-One" universal remote option that will work for both standard IR devices and BT devices:

Blu-Link Universal Remote

This remotes can:
1. Act like a normal IR remote (i.e. it has a slew four digit codes to program the remote to work with your IR components)
2. Act like a BT remote (has a built in BT transmitter in it to work with BT devices such as gaming consoles, media boxes (Roku/Fire TV/Apple TV)
3. Has a learning functionality so that any button on your remote can be learned by the Blu-Link remote

(The user guide for the remote can be found here)

The best part is that the remote is only $27.

My only issue now is that I lose the speech recognition ability of the Fire TV remote, but I have yet to find any universal remote setup that can do that.

smithmal
The Following User Says Thank You to smithmal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2015, 04:23 AM |#13  
Flag Slightly Outside America
Thanks Meter: 45

More
I ended up with this BT/IR kbd+touchpad +8 IR keys, and it's not bad so far ... aside from being a little flimsy and the IR is not super-strong and the battery is only 250mah.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...75&postcount=8
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M32PBXO/

but I still almost wish for having one of the singapore monstrosities, simply for how wonderfully unbelievably ugly it is.
11th March 2015, 04:07 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmal

Here's another "All-In-One" universal remote option that will work for both standard IR devices and BT devices:

This remotes can:
1. Act like a normal IR remote (i.e. it has a slew four digit codes to program the remote to work with your IR components)
2. Act like a BT remote (has a built in BT transmitter in it to work with BT devices such as gaming consoles, media boxes (Roku/Fire TV/Apple TV)
3. Has a learning functionality so that any button on your remote can be learned by the Blu-Link remote

My only issue now is that I lose the speech recognition ability of the Fire TV remote, but I have yet to find any universal remote setup that can do that.

smithmal

That remote sounds interesting. Does it work well with Fire TV? Like all the basic fire tv buttons are available? And are you using bluetooth or IR with a usb receiver?
11th March 2015, 06:36 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmal

This remotes can:

smithmal

Did you actually manage to get the remote to show up? Every time I tried to pair it, nothing showed up. Also tried it on my nexus player without any luck...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
11th March 2015, 08:50 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
I did not. My initial understanding of the remote's capability was based off of erroneous information posted by an Amazon reviewer in the Q&A section for the product. Once obtaining the product I found out that the BT commands for the remote are specific only to the PS3 (i.e. the remote has no ability to "learn" new BT commands). Also, as you mentioned, the FireTV does not recognize it in pairing mode. For this reason, the remote would not work as I had hoped and I updated the Q&A product section on Amazon and sent it back.

My solution was to purchase a FLIRC dongle, download the FLIRC software to my PC, manually force the FLIRC to update its firmware (which is important as the firmware that originally installed with the software would not allow me to properly program the "back", "home" and "menu" buttons; this is done by downloading the latest firmware (which I believe is now v3.5) by following the instructions posted here), program the dongle with my IR remote (I settled on using the standard universal remote that comes with my TV) and then plug in the FLIRC dongle into the USB port of the FireTV.

After that, I had a "All-In-One" universal remote solution that would allow me to operate both my TV and FireTV with one remote.

smithmal
Last edited by smithmal; 11th March 2015 at 09:16 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread