FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Is rooting really that good?

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By bloodyniceben, Junior Member on 14th June 2014, 03:53 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I rooted my phone a week ago, I kept with the stock Rom for a few days, then installed a Renovate sense 6 Rom which seemed to work well. I had SuperSU installed, plus a few other apps, but then all of a sudden I got an error message when trying to open SuperSU saying the binary was missing, so I downloaded a root checker which said I wasn't fully rooted! After looking on the forums to find a solution I relocked my boot loader and unrooted the phone. Trying to find a stock RUU for my phone ( unlocked Europe version ) was a bloody nightmare. Also getting it to install on my phone was a pain, but probably more to do with my computer having a slow moment.

Is it really worth all the hassle when I can all go wrong in a couple of days ?

Don't think I'll be re routing again any time soon

Sent from my HTC One

15th June 2014, 12:46 AM |#2  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Well it's like anything. If you don't know why you need something you probably don't need it

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to nateboi81 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2014, 12:12 PM |#3  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,889

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyniceben

I rooted my phone a week ago, I kept with the stock Rom for a few days, then installed a Renovate sense 6 Rom which seemed to work well. I had SuperSU installed, plus a few other apps, but then all of a sudden I got an error message when trying to open SuperSU saying the binary was missing, so I downloaded a root checker which said I wasn't fully rooted! After looking on the forums to find a solution I relocked my boot loader and unrooted the phone. Trying to find a stock RUU for my phone ( unlocked Europe version ) was a bloody nightmare. Also getting it to install on my phone was a pain, but probably more to do with my computer having a slow moment.

Sent from my HTC One

the phone never come unrooted .. you never had root installed properly
when it's flashed correctly from recovery it will not just go away

http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU

Flash that from recovery and you'll be rooted
15th June 2014, 04:08 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I had SuperSU installed, everything was fine, anything I did with the phone worked. After a week it said the SU binaries were missing, and you couldn't get into SuperSU to do anything, but previously you could. If the phone was never rooted correctly like you say, i would have had this problem from the start.

Also after rooting I used a root checker which said I was rooted, but after this Su binary issue started, it said I wasn't rooted.

Still, I'm back to unrooted now, and the only reason I did it was to get Sense 6, which has since come out as an update, so I'm no worse off

Ben

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app
15th June 2014, 04:54 PM |#5  
Senior Moderator / Mod. Cttee. Retired - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 14,742

More
Quote:

I had SuperSU installed, everything was fine, anything I did with the phone worked. After a week it said the SU binaries were missing, and you couldn't get into SuperSU to do anything, but previously you could. If the phone was never rooted correctly like you say, i would have had this problem from the start.

Also after rooting I used a root checker which said I was rooted, but after this Su binary issue started, it said I wasn't rooted.

Still, I'm back to unrooted now, and the only reason I did it was to get Sense 6, which has since come out as an update, so I'm no worse off

Ben

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

This is a rom issue not a root issue. Could have also been an issue with the kernel. To be honest if you dont really use the root functions then there maybe no need for you to have it. To be honest most people dont really need root. They just wanna seem cool with some things they can show off on their device instead of using it for anything important or handy. I would advice to judge for yourself. Take the extra options/security risk and weigh it against remaining stock which has less options/secure.
13th March 2015, 08:47 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I agree with the previous post, if you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it. As far as SuperSu disappearing, it sounds like either you didn't install it correctly or something changed. The ideal way to install SuperSu is to install via the recovery. And even so, if you reinstall your OS, you will need to reinstall SuperSu. Software does not simply disappear, something had to be done to hasten it's departure. An easy fix to your issue would have been to download the SuperSu zip package from http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu, and install it via your recovery. What I personally don't like about locking a bootloader is that now it says TAMPERED at the top of the screen.
16th March 2015, 11:23 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 194

More
Your issues seem to be with the restoring to stock process which HTC do make a bit convoluted, triggered by the root error not rooting itself.

Now to answer your question: My main reason for rooting is I want to take fine grained backups. Second is lots of clever people have come up with mods and improvements I like to install over the stock Sense ROM.

If you don't need anything that needs root, no need to root. Simple as that.
17th March 2015, 11:24 AM |#8  
Flag Jaipur
Thanks Meter: 577

More
Quote:

Sent from my HTC One

if you want RUU search @ htc1guru.com with firmware/software version
flash same firmware again + flash custom recovery + flash SuperSu it will resolve your problem
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)