ROOT BOUNTY FOR SGH-527 with 4.4.2 KitKat Update

Search This thread

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
Just checking in guys. I still have my Mega.....Still on 4.4.2, still unrooted, still like it enough to hang onto it, hoping Samsung might change their policies. Until they do, I won't be buying their stuff anymore. Oh well......I'm sure my decision won't break Samsung, but sure wish a bunch of us might. I won't be holding my breath though! lol. :)

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Just checking in guys. I still have my Mega.....Still on 4.4.2, still unrooted, still like it enough to hang onto it, hoping Samsung might change their policies. Until they do, I won't be buying their stuff anymore. Oh well......I'm sure my decision won't break Samsung, but sure wish a bunch of us might. I won't be holding my breath though! lol. :)
Unfortunately it's not Samsung at this level. This is ALL AT&T. they don't allow unlocked bootloader at all on their devices, even my tab 4 with no development. At least I was able to root that tho. I'm wondering tho how come you guys can't do the method of flashing the old kernel in ODIN, rooting, then reflashing the new one? AT&T S5 and Note 3 both use this method and it works. Hmmm.

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
Unfortunately it's not Samsung at this level. This is ALL AT&T. they don't allow unlocked bootloader at all on their devices, even my tab 4 with no development. At least I was able to root that tho. I'm wondering tho how come you guys can't do the method of flashing the old kernel in ODIN, rooting, then reflashing the new one? AT&T S5 and Note 3 both use this method and it works. Hmmm.

Don't mean to argue, but I thought this all stemmed from Samsung's Knox- their new security for business use?? :confused: That's not ATT- that's all Samsung.

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Don't mean to argue, but I thought this all stemmed from Samsung's Knox- their new security for business use?? :confused: That's not ATT- that's all Samsung.
Knox is present on the S5, the Note 3, every Samsung product for 2 years since Kitkat (maybe even 4.3 if I remember from my S3). We are not having these problems because of Knox, we are having these problems because we can't decrypt our bootloaders. I haven't followed Verizon mega (if there even is one) or T-mobile (also if there is one) but T-mobile S5 and Note 3 have 0 problems with root due to being unlocked and being able to use a custom recovery to obtain root, where as the AT&T versions have to use safestrap and workarounds. I'm just wondering if the same method can be used for the mega that we have had success with on the S5 and Note 3.

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
Knox is present on the S5, the Note 3, every Samsung product for 2 years since Kitkat (maybe even 4.3 if I remember from my S3). We are not having these problems because of Knox, we are having these problems because we can't decrypt our bootloaders. I haven't followed Verizon mega (if there even is one) or T-mobile (also if there is one) but T-mobile S5 and Note 3 have 0 problems with root due to being unlocked and being able to use a custom recovery to obtain root, where as the AT&T versions have to use safestrap and workarounds. I'm just wondering if the same method can be used for the mega that we have had success with on the S5 and Note 3.

Thanks for that explanation. I haven't followed the mega for awhile. I do know everything has been tried with no good results on kitkat. I followed it closely for about the first 6 months. I had root before I updated to kitkat, but the bootloader was still locked on JB. Just about everybody I know working on it gave up and sold their Mega. :(

Reactions: pre4speed

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
I would be happy to pay $20 root bounty.. for rooting att mega 4.4.2
I would pay $75, if someone would actually do that for me..
There are very smart people on this forum.. Surely, someone will figure it out?
I had a canadian 527, 4.4.2, which was easily rooted. In fact, I rooted it with kingo, when it had 4.2 but with update to 4.4, lost root.
Fortunately, I was ableto find someone who could root it for me. He charged me $75 and I was happy to not have to deal with it.. It is now 4.4.2 rooted.. I broke the home button..
So I just bought a 527 ATT version, not realizing that it cannot be rooted! Now I am stuck.. I don't like returning stuff.. So I kept it... but I prefer to not use an unrooted phone.. Not sure why ATT locks the boot loader.. Why should they care, what we do with our phone - especially if we don't buy it under contract!
Hopefully, on of you will figure it out soon?
Thanks..

Last edited:

orlyjc

Dec 30, 2010
Sucks! I check here every day hoping someone has gotten root on it. ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Free mobile app

warriorpluto

Sep 11, 2008
in the streets racing
Sucks! I check here every day hoping someone has gotten root on it. ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Free mobile app

Well you won't find it here anytime soon.keep an eye on the developer thread for the Verizon note 4. They are almost at the goal for obtaining root. When it happens for the note 4 it will happen for this device I'm one hundred percent sure

Sent from my SM-N910V using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3042045

abrham57

Mar 30, 2014
Houston, Texas
But?

Well you won't find it here anytime soon.keep an eye on the developer thread for the Verizon note 4. They are almost at the goal for obtaining root. When it happens for the note 4 it will happen for this device I'm one hundred percent sure

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Haven't they achieved root for it?

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
FINALLY, my (I527 att version) with 4.4.2 has been rooted and unlocked and that too for only $50.
I had to send him the phone but he shipped it back right away..
If any of you are interested, you can PM me and I will give you his contact info.

warriorpluto

Sep 11, 2008
in the streets racing
FINALLY, my (I527 att version) with 4.4.2 has been rooted and unlocked and that too for only $50.
I had to send him the phone but he shipped it back right away..
If any of you are interested, you can PM me and I will give you his contact info.

Verizon and AT&T note 4 has been rooted. It's expected to be working across samsung devices. Developer will release application this weekend. Here's the thread.remember only devs are to comment on this thread so just keep a watch on it.

Edit:
Nevermind. The guy was another pathetic troll whom didn't know what he was doing. What a loser.

Last edited:
Reactions: pre4speed

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
Verizon and AT&T note 4 has been rooted. It's expected to be working across samsung devices. Developer will release application this weekend. Here's the thread.remember only devs are to comment on this thread so just keep a watch on it.

Edit:
Nevermind. The guy was another pathetic troll whom didn't know what he was doing. What a loser.

Pathetic loser.. :eek:. Funny. I hope you were not referring to me? :eek:

I have two mega 6.3 phones. One was Rogers Canada.. I was able to root it myself with Kingo (great app) when it had 4.2 but I didn't realize that I should not accept the upgrade. I am not really an expert at this nor am I up to date on such.. I am learning the hard way.. but frankly, I prefer to send my phones to someone to do the rooting and unlocking.

Over the past 5+ years, I have used a guy in Skokie, IL to root and unlock my phones.. But right after the 4.4.2 upgrade, when I lost my kingo root and the skokie guy said that he could not root my rogers 4.4.2

I sent a fair amount of donation to Kingo and tried to get them to help me root it but they could not.. they were very nice though.. answered my emails promptly..
But last month, the skokie guy said he could root the rogers 4.4.2 and he did. Works fine and it is my primary phone.

I bought a 2nd phone because I really like the mega 6.3 for the size of it. Also, typically, I buy about 10 extra batteries, to leave in my various cars and travel kit. I really don't care about having the "latest model" phone for cool factor. The phone serves a purpose and 6.3" is a perfect size for me. If there were a 7", I would have bought that..

Also, I like the low price of the i527.. Both phones were around $300 range.. less than half of Note 4.. I don't need the power of a note 4, nor the display or the camera quality.. For me, the i527 is ideal phone for the present time.

Anyway, my skokie guy said that it was impossible to root att 4.4.2 i527.. But having spent quite some time, with a few other paid rooters/software, finally I found a guy who could root it.. He did install a super user program, which when I ran it, said that the phone has been rooted.. And this guy charges about 1/3 of what the Skokie guy has been charging me.

If you search for my postings, you will notice that I have been seeking the root for a few months.. with no success..

Two people have sent me PM and to both, I forwarded the information. One of them has emailed me, saying that in a couple of weeks, he would send his phone to this guy for rooting and when done, he would post the results..

So, for those of you who are not still sure.. You can wait for his post.

I really don't care whether you believe me or not..
If any of you have genuine interest in this, please let me know.. (and as long as you don't call me names :eek:), I will install Titanium root in my ATT phone to double check the status of the root.

Oh btw, another comment.. I found this the hard way.. I am finding that for ATT, it is most ideal to use ATT branded phones. I have bought Tmobile version of note 4 and S5 for my family. Non ATT versions are inconvenient to use for two reasons:
1. I have to set the APN for ATT manually.. Its a pain to go to the web and enter all that information.. We travel overseas.. They have better service overseas.. In some countries, as soon as I put the local sim, I get a TEXT with APN setting.. If I recall correctly (I am not 100% sure), I can even run the file that they send in the text, which will set the apn automatically.. I wish ATT and others here did the same.
2. I like ATT visual voice mail app. It does not seem to work well on non att version phones..

Last edited:

mikey85

Oct 22, 2008
why not take screenshots to show everyone instead of taking about it. it doesnt take much to do that.

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
why not take screenshots to show everyone instead of taking about it. it doesnt take much to do that.
Good point.
When I got the phone back, it had a program called Root Checker already installed.
I used that program to check root status and it said that the phone was rooted.

As I wrote in the preceding, it was my backup phone and I had put it away in my travel kit.

In the interest of helping other forum members here, I thought I would double check it with Titanium.
So, today, i installed Titanium.. And when I signed in, with my email account, it started updating.. I don't know what all got updated..
but it is still at 4.4.2.. But the root no longer works. I emailed the guy with the issue and am waiting for his reply. I offered to pay him again.. just to fix it again.. in case I made a mistake during updating.

Attached are the pictures.. As you can see, it no longer has root access.. I am trying to be truthful and helpful.

Once I hear back from him and if and when he fixes it, I will post again. But at this time, my ATT phone is no longer rooted.
The preceding is about my ATT i527 of course..

My Rogers/Canada i527 has had no such problems. I rooted it myself while it was 4.2. Someone else rooted it with 4.4.2.. And I disabled software update.. and it is working just fine, with rooting..

I will post again, with progress.

Attachments

• root1.png
    root1.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 119
  • root2.png
    root2.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 121

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What we do know is that a guy on eBay has the root solution and claims its a "trade secret" so either he found a way to downgrade kernal to MK2 successfully and root and upgrade back to NE7 or he found a root exploit that works on 4.4.2 I527, I can confirm that a Metro dealer in my area sent him a I527 and he sent back a few days later and it was imei repaired, rooted and fully working.

There IS A SOLUTION, we just need to keep trying new things, that "bounty" that people suggested is nothing more than a fairy tale, devs know when the solution comes out, noone is going to pay they are just going to leech and about 10% will stick to their donations, so they are now holding solutions for themselves and using it in key areas like IMEI repair and making money. Just look at S-OFF for HTC one M8 sunshine is charging $25 per device and they deserve too, they have mouths to feed as they put more hours into development than we ever would.

I know most of you root and install roms for the fun of it or to enjoy a better optimized phone but I do this for IMEI repair purposes, for monetary reasons, doesn't mean we can't be on the same page and work together, I don't have any I527's in store atm but when I get another one in I will be trying new things to get it going.

The reason I looked this thread up because I am familiar with downgrading kernals for I537 S4 active and the new I337 N1I 4.4.2 update so I figured, "Hey you can probably do that with the I527 kernal!" and IMEI_bandit had the exact same thought as me, ty for your contribution regardless if you didn't test (which should of been noted, but nonetheless you got us the files, ty) but it seems theres more to it, I have gathered files you guys have submitted on this thread relating to the Boot.tar, Boot.zip and I527 pit file and will look more into this with the help of other devs on GSM forum and here, ty
    Working Root for 4.4.2 I527

I've been messing around hoping to find something. Finally, the new version of KingRoot worked. I just got it finished earlier, it's doing great. It disabled knox, didn't trip the counter. I did that later with a twrp backup I tried to make. But, root is there nonetheless, nothing lost. I do have screenshots, I can't do outside links, but I'll try to add them.
    Straight up.

For all those who are wondering:

As of 12/3/2014, there is still NO ROOT FOR BASEBANDS I527UCUBNE7 and I527UCUBNJ1. As such, keep the following in mind:

1. ANYONE purporting to have a method which you can 'download and install' is full of **** and should not be trusted.
    2. ANYONE (unverified) trying to sell you same said file or different 'rooting solution' is also full of ****.
    3. UNLESS IT'S VETTED ON THIS THREAD, DON'T ****ING TRUST IT!
    XDA is a community, take your strong arm crap somewhere else, mods need to prune this thread of your solicitations. If you can't provide actual proof then you are just another scammer.
    Yeah I'm done. Grabbing a Nexus 6 when released. And lesson learned....never ever ever buying a device from AT&T ever again. Their draconian methods of keeping people from enjoying the devices they own is my final straw.