Going back to Sense from [RUU] Google Edition Conversion.Graffixync UPDATE 12th May

Search This thread

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
hey guys can you tell me what am i doing wrong ..no matter what firmware i try to flash i get the same error ..
unknown partition '4.19.707.2_firmware.zip'
error: cannot determine image filename for '4.19.707.2_firmware.zip'

unknown partition '1.54.401.5-W_Splash.zip'
error: cannot determine image filename for '1.54.401.5-W_Splash.zip'

What command are you typing in? Without that it's kinda useless

iTchill

Jan 4, 2012
Well well..i thought i had a problem , ahahaha this is me starting conversion at 2am..
Thanks

psyonicus

Jul 16, 2012
Hello friends.
I would like to know if the RUU packages for converting a sense m8 to a google play edition m8 (such as those provided by graffixnyc) would be safe to flash on an m8 that's originally gpe (ie not converted from a sense m8). Specially since the partition sizes seem to be different, if I understand correctly.

What I want to do is to be able to flash one to recover from a soft brick, or to go back to stock if I need to, and maybe even to easily to switch from lollipop to kitkat and back.

Hope this makes sense (no pun intended).
Best regards.

jxcorex28

Feb 20, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Al.
I'm use to a certain method,bit maybe I can count out the other method with yall's advice. Every time I switch back to sense I fastboot flash 1.54.401.5 splash zip, 1.54 sense fw, then another sense fw (the newer ones). Is the splash zip the file that returns you to sense ? I just wanna know so I can make the process quicker.

Sent from my One M8 using XDA Free mobile app

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
It includes the splash screen. If you just used a new firmware package you'd still have the Google splash screen

leandronb

Sep 27, 2012
Teresina
If I have the ruu exe file for my device, developer edition, it will work just flashing it in ruu mode? Or I have to flash firmware first as explained?

Last edited:

ifiweresolucky

May 10, 2007
Atlanta
My M8 is bootloader unlocked and S-OFF
Here are the steps I took to return to stock:
1. Super CID per OP
2. Flash 1.54.401.5 per OP
3. Boot into stock recovery
4. Show menu by pressing and releasing vol + & power. Factory Reset
5. Reboot into bootloader
6. Flash 4.16.1540.8 RUU.exe (Android 5.0.1) from here

Profit. It was, overall, much easier than expected

BartDuwez

Sep 3, 2014
Lauwe
hi, i'm stuck

when i flash the sense firmware and the stock recovery from that firmware i am unable to do a factory reset, it cant mount data nor system and says factory reset failed, it doesn't work in twrp,phillz nor stock recovery or from the bootloader screen. i came from the skydragon modified firmware GPE, now i want to go to the skydragon sense 7, but as i cant do a factory reset i'm getting the error 7 in aroma installer, which gives me a bootloop on rom start.

any advice?

my device originally was TMOB-102 its a TMOB-US the very stock firmware is 2.23.112.x but i dont have that firmware anymore. i found a nand backup on the repository and i found a 4.16.401.10 NAND backup with TWRP i'm not sure what to do now, I have checked and i can get back to GPE Skydragon without any problems.

thanks

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
hi, i'm stuck

when i flash the sense firmware and the stock recovery from that firmware i am unable to do a factory reset, it cant mount data nor system and says factory reset failed, it doesn't work in twrp,phillz nor stock recovery or from the bootloader screen. i came from the skydragon modified firmware GPE, now i want to go to the skydragon sense 7, but as i cant do a factory reset i'm getting the error 7 in aroma installer, which gives me a bootloop on rom start.

any advice?

my device originally was TMOB-102 its a TMOB-US the very stock firmware is 2.23.112.x but i dont have that firmware anymore. i found a nand backup on the repository and i found a 4.16.401.10 NAND backup with TWRP i'm not sure what to do now, I have checked and i can get back to GPE Skydragon without any problems.

thanks

Flash the stock recovery and factory reset in that first, then flash a custom recovery and try again

Lazdaa

Jul 28, 2011
Hi guys i have an urgent question.

I tried to go back to sense but it won't let me flash the firmware, I'm just getting: FAILED <remote: 41 model id check fail>
I've tried the command several times, no luck.

What should i do?

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Hi guys i have an urgent question.

I tried to go back to sense but it won't let me flash the firmware, I'm just getting: FAILED <remote: 41 model id check fail>
I've tried the command several times, no luck.

What should i do?

Well, as the error is relating to the MID change it to a compatible one first ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT - UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS 12th May 2014

Due to the partition sizes being different in the GPE RUU it is not simply a case of flashing a sense rom in recovery. You will experience problems if you do this. This might involve getting the storage encrption message, bootloops, freezing etc etc.

This thread is specifically for users who have problems getting back to sense. Solution is below. If you have alternative solutions that have worked without issues please post.

I have tried to make them as simple as possible. This guide assumes you are S-Off otherwise how did you get here. (

This does not apply if you have installed a GPE ROM. You can flash as normal through recovery. (using instructions of new rom)

Thanks to @exad for his continuing support/assistance throughout the thread, as well as @graffixnyc for the GPE RUU and both he and @navalynt for finding the initial fixes.

It will be much easier if you have your new Rom on your external sdcard prior to starting this. It will also stop a number of problems if you have SuperCID (11111111) If you don't know how to - FASTBOOT Commands
    1. Enter the command "fastboot oem readcid". Make and KEEP a note of your original CID.
    2. Enter the command "fastboot oem writecid 11111111"
    3. Enter the command "fastboot read cid" [it should confirm your CID is 11111111]
    4. Press the volume down button twice on your phone and navigate to reboot bootloader, then hit power button to reboot the bootloader.
    5. Bootloader will also say "CID-11111111" now to confirm (Thanks to @xl VipeR lx ) Also to @umjammerlammy for the GENTLE ;) reminders to include this

Make sure the firmware file and twrp recovery are in your Android directory on your PC - Mine is
    C:\Users\Grentuu\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\

During this process you may find that when you reboot the phone starts to boot into android. Mine did but simply had the GPE animated logo but never entered GPE. All you do is press Vol up and power for about 10 seconds to reset. As soon as it resets press vol down and power to get back to bootloader.

Flash 1.54.401.5 firmware from Here
    Fastboot Method
    Boot device into FASTBOOT mode either by adb reboot bootloader or Vol down & Power (device should show FASTBOOT USB)
    Make sure the firmware file to be flashed is in your android folder
    Open a command prompt from the folder where fastboot resides. (Hold shift key/right click in the dir to get menu - left click on Open Command Prompt here.)
    Run the following commands:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU (this will reboot the device into RUU mode in preparation for zip flashing)
    fastboot flash zip 1.54.401.5-W_Splash.zip (the name of the zip should EXACTLY match the name of the file you're flashing)
    It will fail the first time. Run the same command AGAIN until you see it has flashed successfully.
    I repeat - Run the same command TWICE until you see it has flashed successfully.
    Once complete, type fastboot reboot-bootloader The hyphen is required.

Some users have stated this firmware (1.54.401.5) did not work for them as they weren't GSM and reboots just threw them back to recovery. If this happens try a stock (your original e.g. T-mobile) firmware then follow the rest of the process.

Boot into stock recovery
    Factory reset
    Reboot into bootloader
    Flash TWRP - command = fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.2-m8.img (The must match exactly the name of the recovery you are flashing and remember the recovery file must be in your android folder)

Boot into TWRP
    Go into Wipe menu
    do a full factory reset wipe
    Reboot back into recovery
    Install rom
    Profit

These have worked for me everytime (Change count =19)
    Ack toolkits!!!
    Toolkits are bad. Adb and fastboot are not difficult. People just get intimidated. I think it's the command line?
    No offence to people who develop the toolkits, I know they're trying to help but all they're really doing is breeding ignorance.

Quick understanding of fastboot and adb:

Fastboot can only be used in fastboot mode. It has a somewhat limited set of commands allowing you to flash/wipe partitions, boot a custom recovery without flashing or getting information such as cid, mid, etc.
    Most used commands are:

Checking device connected: Fastboot devices
    Flashing recovery stock or custom: Fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img
    Booting to downloaded recovery without flashing: fastboot boot recoveryfilename.img
    Flashing radio: Fastboot flash radio radiofilename.img
    Going into RUU mode (Used for flashing firmware): Fastboot oem rebootRUU
    Flashing zip files that contain multiple images such as a firmware package while in RUU mode: Fastboot flash zip filename.zip
    Reading your cid: Fastboot oem readcid
    Readinf your cid: Fastboot getvar cid
    Reading all phone info: Fastboot getvar all
    Writing cid: Fastboot oem writecid whatevercid (Must be 8 digits/letters long)

ADB Can only be used while in custom recovery or while booted into a rom with usb debugging enabled. It has MANY MANY More commands because it's more like actually using your phone in command line from your PC.
    Common commands used but not at all limited to include:

Checking ADB devices connected: adb devices
    Rebooting: adb reboot
    Rebooting to bootloader: adb reboot bootloader
    Rebooting to recovery: adb reboot recovery
    Pushing files to phone: adb push filename path IE: adb push rom.zip /sdcard/ Will move rom.zip from your computer to your phone's SD card.
    Pulling files from your phone: adb pull /path/filename IE: adb pull /sdcard/rom.zip Will pull rom.zip from your SDcard and put it on your PC in whatever folder your command prompt is currently residing.
    Initiating a shell with your phone allowing you to access your phone remotely as if you were using terminal app on your phone: adb shell

Hopefully this helps a few of you feel more comfortable with fastboot and ADB. They really aren't difficult to use and often a quick google search can fill you in if you're a little shady on details.
    lol.. Not even worth responding.

Anyway.. I got my phone back to working fine thanks to the help from a few members. So thanks!

Out of curiosity.. Lets say you are converted to GPE, but want to flash an AOSP based rom or something. You wouldn't need to take these steps in order to convert back right?

I will respond though.. but more to just convey in a nicer way what he was trying to say. I have only been using Android since Jan 2011.. Before then I was a die hard blackberry user. I knew NOTHING about Android other than it was made by Google. haha

I found XDA and I got hooked.. I lurked for a while and I would see other users getting rude with others in ways like "search or get out" or just saying go read stuff before you do it. Now I know guys that have been using Android a lot longer than me, yet I know WAY more... How do I know way more? Because I spent the time reading tutorials.. using google.. and just poking around myself.. I took the initiative to learn on my own... Then less than a year after getting into Android I released my first "dev" project. CWM for the Dell Streak 7. 72 hours after beginning I got it.. I didn't get it by asking people.. I got it by reading, hell I didn't want to ask anyone and come off as a dumb noob.. lol

So then I started releasing roms and things and THEN I started to see why people would get rude and understand it as I found I was getting snippy.. You have to understand.. We devs take the time to develop something, write detailed instructions etc.. and you have users that don't even bother reading it or reading the thread for that matter or even searching the thread.. This is kinda disrespectful to the dev. I mean Why do 100 people have to ask the same question that has been answered 100 times in previous pages and the person is just too lazy to look..

Or when you tell someone "Yeah there is a site somewhere that has the file" and they person asks for a link.. hello?? Am I your personal google? The time it took to ask for a link and wait for a response you could find it yourself. It's pure laziness. I search before I post ANYTHING. I read before I do ANYTHING. So the more experienced guys who have put in the time and took the initiative to learn and not asking to be spoon fed everything get upset because you have guys that don't want to put in the time to learn yet want to benefit from YOUR hard work.. How is that fair? If you ask me.. it's take take take and never give..

So yes, I can understand why people would get upset when a user is not taking the initiative to learn on their own and is expecting everyone to spoon feed them. Most of us took the time to READ and LEARN.. what makes you or anyone else so special where you don't feel you need to read stuff and people should just help you without you even trying to help yourself...

I always die when I watch this video! It's so true!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwleOote5M0

I will say flaming anyone is wrong.. BUT at the same time.. users need to learn how to search better and not ask the same stuff over and over again..

Look at the GPE RUU thread.. search how many times someone has asked about stock recovery and the bug droid on his back.. See how many times it was answered.. See how many more times it was asked.. That ALL could have been avoided if the person wasn't too lazy to search and READ
    Why post steps if your not willing to help?

The steps in the OP can still cause issues for some people.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The steps in the op were taken right from my thread. The steps I actually modified the other day when I was working on trying to get sense ruu going. I converted to gpe edition and then would test the sense ruu(which I'm still having issues with)

My point is Saturday I went back and forth from converting to gpe back to sense following and rewriting some of the steps. Every single time I followed the steps in the op to the T, I got back to sense. There was once that day I did a step out of order and it wouldn't boot. I have tested multiple times and if they are followed to a T without skipping anything, without mixing up a step.. It will return you to sense. I think I went though the steps at least 5 times Saturday to insure they were correct..

Sorry to say but 99% of the time it's user error even if the user thinks they know what they are doing. For example.. The rom version I have out.. Some Tmo users weren't getting data.. I swore up and down it had to be an apn issue.. Guys were like "I have entered the apn right.. I'm not some noob, I've been flashing stuff since the g1" and got insulted. They swore up and down they were entering the apn correctly.. What was the cause of them not getting data? Not selecting the ipv4/ipv6 option in the apn settings instead leaving it as ipv4. I had more than a few users swearing they entered it correctly and blamed the rom for not being compatible.. I even had one guy message me saying he has used Linux for 20 Years and knows his stuff.. Point is.. They swore it was the rom and not them.. And it wound up being something they did incorrectly :-$

I guarantee.. If you follow the steps to the T... You will get back to sense after converting.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Moderator information:

This post has been moved to this thread instead of having a duplicate thread for this topic. @grentuu, if you feel this information is useful please add it to your OP.

Cheers,

Heisenberg
    XDA Moderator

first of all thank the following authors

ckpv5, Mr Hofs, mikemol

We have gathered information for 3 long days of questions and tests

first of all, your computer must be

Loader unlock 1_boot
    2_twrp-2.8.7.0-m8
    3_ root
    4_ mid change
    Cid Super 4_ 11111111

steps

1 back to mid euro

adb shell
    their
    Echo -ne '\ x30 \ x00 \ x50 \ x00 \ x36 \ x00 \ x42 \ x00 \ x31 \ x00 \ x30 \ x00 \ x30 \ x00 \ x30 \ x00 \ x30' | dd of = / dev / block / mmcblk0p5 bs = 1 seek = 16384

MID 0P6B10000

2_ I realize the steps to change the CID to SuperCID and I get the following message
    fastboot oem writecid 11111111

Oem 3_fastboot rebootRUU
    Fastboot flash zip 4.16.401.10-Firmware-noredtext.zip 4_ (message error) retrying
    5_fastboot flash zip 4.16.401.10-Firmware-noredtext.zip

Important down

0P6BIMG_M8_UL_L50_SENSE60_MR_HTC_Europe_4.16.401.10_Radio_1.25.214500021.06G_20.68.4196t.01_F_release_417809_signed.zip and rename 0P6BIMG.zip (not 0P6BIMG.zip.zip)
    *micro sd copy and insert it into your computer in fastboot mode

key press volume up and ready to wait

My suffering is over.

Wippe data

Downloads

firnware https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347850101 4.16.401.10

flash https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934518148