Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Root Sprint S5....Step-by-Step

20th March 2015, 10:30 PM |#201  
Elk Grove, CA
Thanks Meter: 4

56 posts
Just a quick question. I just received a new S5 for work, activated it and as soon as I turned it on, it downloaded 5.0. I did not install it.. I restored the phone and turned off the update only when WiFi is on, and it didn't' automatically download 5.0.. but I fear as soon as I turn WiFi on, it will download the stupid 5.0 again and then bug every day to install the new OS 5.0. My question is this, if I root my phone, which is on 4.4.4, can I "disable' these updates, update notifications, etc so I don't get any more automatic updates?

I've read nothing but bad things about Lollipop 5.0 and have no desire to upgrade from KK 4.4.4, unless 5.1 comes out for my phone and it's better than 5.0.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.
21st March 2015, 03:34 AM |#202  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 2,941

2,830 posts
More
First of all you might want to ensure your work(if it's a company phone) is ok with you rooting. If so, you can root, put custom recovery on(which voids the warranty) and try running the update. It will fail, and sometimes (YMWV) that will stop notifications. There are some zips floating around they disable updates, just not sure if they have them for Lollipop. I have 5.0 and it's not terrible. If you root you can freeze alot of the things that drain battery and aesthetically it looks pretty cool. Good luck, hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
21st March 2015, 04:53 AM |#203  
Elk Grove, CA
Thanks Meter: 4

56 posts
Thank you for the insight.
28th March 2015, 09:25 PM |#204  
Thanks Meter: 2

37 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong: this method will work for 5.0 with the OA6 build, correct? I understand that if it does, it will trip Knox, but that doesn't matter for me (bought the phone used today, so no warranty to worry about).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread