[MODEM] Complete Modem List for both I747U & I747M

Search This thread

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Thanks dawgdoc! I copied the 'samsung info' .apk to the phone and installed. It shows bootloader & baseband as I747MVLUEMK5.

Stay on MK5. I am running 5.0.2 on MK5 bootloader and modem just fine!

To fix your connection issues you could, at this point, try three things. In order of the least change to your system:
1) Check APNs and reset if necessary.
2) Reflash CM11
3) Reflash to stock ROM corresponding to your current, MK5, bootloader and modem.

Your mileage will vary with CM11 on MK5. I have seen plenty of reports of people loosing wifi, bluetooth, data after early 4th quarter 2014 if they did not update to 4.4.x bootloaders and modem.

I would guess you are not loosing any personal data and media if you reflash CM11 or stock since you recently obtained this phone. You will loose some time going through the process.

ntbergeron

Mar 23, 2015
To fix your connection issues you could, at this point, try three things. In order of the least change to your system:
1) Check APNs and reset if necessary.
2) Reflash CM11
3) Reflash to stock ROM corresponding to your current, MK5, bootloader and modem.

Your mileage will vary with CM11 on MK5. I have seen plenty of reports of people loosing wifi, bluetooth, data after early 4th quarter 2014 if they did not update to 4.4.x bootloaders and modem.

I would guess you are not loosing any personal data and media if you reflash CM11 or stock since you recently obtained this phone. You will loose some time going through the process.

I re-flashed CM11 and network/wifi are working again. YAY!! Thanks for your help.
Do any of these 'free' sim unlock methods work? or am I wasting time?

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
I re-flashed CM11 and network/wifi are working again. YAY!! Thanks for your help.
Do any of these 'free' sim unlock methods work? or am I wasting time?

Not since the device is on the official 4.3 bootloader and modem.
You must be on the 4.1.1 modem to do the free unlocks. BUT once you are on the official 4.3 bootloader and modem you can not downgrade without bricking the phone. Sorry.

-------
edit: true for the i747, I've read multiple comments that it is also true for the i747M

--------
glad to see I was of service

Last edited:

ScottBVancouver

Jan 12, 2013
Vancouver
Likely virus in most recent modem firmware

NOTE: If anyone has any further questions about modems on the S3, please note that I have moved on to another device. Sorry!

Hello XDA!

I’ve taken over this thread, and I’m going to try to keep things a bit more organized.

All modems posted in this thread will be flashable ZIPs, usable in either ClockworkMod or TWRP.

How to flash:

Modems are listed in the following format:
Version: Download Link - Build Date

AT&T and other non-M devices.
I747
I747UCUEMJB: modem_CWM_I747UCUEMJB.zip - 19.15 MB - October 11, 2013

This file downloads as type .zip.exe. Caveat emptor. Six AV programs report it as having a virus. If you down load it, send it to VirusTotal - I can't provide the link without having 10 prior posts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: huladaddy

huladaddy

Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for picking up this thread, and for organizing it. Awesome!

Can you add some information to the list of firmware versions? Currently, you display the firmware in this format:

Could you add some information to your format as follows:
Version: Download Link - Build Date - Min. Android Version - Min. Bootloader Version

Min. Android Version would be the oldest version of Android that will run with that modem. This info doesn't seem well documented anywhere. For instance, one page back, someone said "somewhere around CM11 M9 or M10 the NE4 firmware, along with modem, became necessary", and then "for Lollipop roms, there is the chance you would need to go all of the way to NJ1 firmware and modem". The problem with that info is that it seems incorrect. I am running Lollipop 5.0.2 with MK5 bootloader and modem. Very confusing.

Min. Bootloader Version would be the oldest version of the bootloader that will run with that modem. As I understand it, there is some relation between bootloader version and modem version, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive list or explanation anywhere. Some seem to say that the modem must be the same version as the bootloader. If so, then that's easy, and maybe this item wouldn't be necessary, but maybe just a note somewhere stating this fact. But I have also read that that isn't necessarily the case. I have seen many people reporting using mixed bootloader/modem versions.

Lastly, would you be able to provide flashable zips of the bootloaders as well. It would be truly awesome to have all of these files and this information in one spot!

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
This file downloads as type .zip.exe. Caveat emptor. Six AV programs report it as having a virus. If you down load it, send it to VirusTotal - I can't provide the link without having 10 prior posts...
Sounds like you're clicking on an ad, already had a virus, or have something else wrong on your side. These links are to ZIP files hosted on Dev-Host. Click the big blue "Download Now" button on the download page. I've verified all the files myself.

Thanks for picking up this thread, and for organizing it. Awesome!

Can you add some information to the list of firmware versions? Currently, you display the firmware in this format:

Could you add some information to your format as follows:
Version: Download Link - Build Date - Min. Android Version - Min. Bootloader Version

Min. Android Version would be the oldest version of Android that will run with that modem. This info doesn't seem well documented anywhere. For instance, one page back, someone said "somewhere around CM11 M9 or M10 the NE4 firmware, along with modem, became necessary", and then "for Lollipop roms, there is the chance you would need to go all of the way to NJ1 firmware and modem". The problem with that info is that it seems incorrect. I am running Lollipop 5.0.2 with MK5 bootloader and modem. Very confusing.

Min. Bootloader Version would be the oldest version of the bootloader that will run with that modem. As I understand it, there is some relation between bootloader version and modem version, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive list or explanation anywhere. Some seem to say that the modem must be the same version as the bootloader. If so, then that's easy, and maybe this item wouldn't be necessary, but maybe just a note somewhere stating this fact. But I have also read that that isn't necessarily the case. I have seen many people reporting using mixed bootloader/modem versions.

Lastly, would you be able to provide flashable zips of the bootloaders as well. It would be truly awesome to have all of these files and this information in one spot!
I already have the bootloaders (up until I retired my S3) listed in the bootloader thread (little "BL" in the bottom right of my sig ;)) and unfortunately will not be updating any of my S3-related threads. Mostly because I don't use an S3 anymore and don't think I should be giving out unverified modems and bootloaders. If someone would like to take over these duties, please PM me.

DanKNugs

Sep 7, 2013
Jacksonville Beach
Flashed MJB file and now cell/data no longer works. Prior to that I was NE4 and my data connection was sporadic at best. Phone boots, can use wifi, but baseband is now unknown. Downloaded Samsung Info IMEI is blank. What can I do to fix this?

canodroid15

Apr 5, 2014
Town Creek Alabama
www.teamoctos.com
Flashed MJB file and now cell/data no longer works. Prior to that I was NE4 and my data connection was sporadic at best. Phone boots, can use wifi, but baseband is now unknown. Downloaded Samsung Info IMEI is blank. What can I do to fix this?

MJB came before NE4, just download & reflash NE4, your lucky you didn't hard brick it. You need to download & flash NE4 boot loader & modem.zip, if you want the latest one its NJ1 but you'll need to get back to NE4 before flashing NJ1 don't skip versions & the correct order is MJB, NE4, NJ1. You can find bootloader & modem combo for NE4 & NJ1 in emewman17's thread

Reactions: DanKNugs

DanKNugs

Sep 7, 2013
Jacksonville Beach
MJB came before NE4, just download & reflash NE4, your lucky you didn't hard brick it. You need to download & flash NE4 boot loader & modem.zip, if you want the latest one its NJ1 but you'll need to get back to NE4 before flashing NJ1 don't skip versions & the correct order is MJB, NE4, NJ1. You can find bootloader & modem combo for NE4 & NJ1 in emewman17's thread

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-att/general/ucuemjb-to-ucufne4-firmware-update-t2808654

I found this page and tried to install the MJB file but I get an error message when I try to. Lots of assert failed: getprop("ro.bootloader") == and a list of what seems to be modem names. Not sure what to do from here? Any advice?

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-att/general/ucuemjb-to-ucufne4-firmware-update-t2808654

I found this page and tried to install the MJB file but I get an error message when I try to. Lots of assert failed: getprop("ro.bootloader") == and a list of what seems to be modem names. Not sure what to do from here? Any advice?
It would be best if you didn't try to flash MJB anymore, as canodroid15 said you could end up hard bricking your phone. You need to flash the NE4 borrower/modem pair. You can use the NE4 for from the thread you linked, but don't flash MJB anymore.

DanKNugs

Sep 7, 2013
Jacksonville Beach
It would be best if you didn't try to flash MJB anymore, as canodroid15 said you could end up hard bricking your phone. You need to flash the NE4 borrower/modem pair. You can use the NE4 for from the thread you linked, but don't flash MJB anymore.

Thank you for the advice. I flashed the NE4 modem/bootloader and all is good now. Is it worth upgrading to the newest one?

canodroid15

Apr 5, 2014
Town Creek Alabama
www.teamoctos.com
Thank you for the advice. I flashed the NE4 modem/bootloader and all is good now. Is it worth upgrading to the newest one?

Fwiw I upgraded to nj1 because of the finicky LTE signal reception, afterwards my LTE signal did get better but if you're not having any issues NE4 is fine, just remember to flash the bootloader & modem pair, they must match & don't try to downgrade?

DorkyDev

Aug 22, 2008
Atlanta
Google Pixel 6a
NJ1 is newer. I flashed them from the zip in this thread.

Enewman has the bootloader and modem bundled together in one zip. No risk of getting out of sync that way, since they must match as mentioned above.

Be sure to upgrade sequentially if you're not already on NE4, and never try to downgrade.
My problem sort of is my girl is on the new S3Rx and said it's not connecting, I thought she was on NE4 would having her reflash in recovery UCUEMJB_to_UCUFNE4_Firmware_update.zip or d2att_I747UCUFNE4_bootloader_modem_4.4.2.zip fix the connectivity issue? I checked the esn and it's clean, she's using prepaid at&t go phone account and sim card? She accidentally did a factory reset from within the phone/rom and ran into google play issues "can't connect to servers" I told her that's probably because the factory reset messed it and you're supposed to do it from recovery and taught her the basic's of twrp recovery.

So can she be on NJ1 and still use rom's like S3Rx and TMS3KK etc?

jason2678

Jul 1, 2014
St. Paul
My problem sort of is my girl is on the new S3Rx and said it's not connecting, I thought she was on NE4 would having her reflash in recovery UCUEMJB_to_UCUFNE4_Firmware_update.zip or d2att_I747UCUFNE4_bootloader_modem_4.4.2.zip fix the connectivity issue? I checked the esn and it's clean, she's using prepaid at&t go phone account and sim card? She accidentally did a factory reset from within the phone/rom and ran into google play issues "can't connect to servers" I told her that's probably because the factory reset messed it and you're supposed to do it from recovery and taught her the basic's of twrp recovery.

Before mucking with firmware make sure you're using the right APN. For a Go Phone I think you want to be on the AT&T Phone / Phone APN. The factory reset probably kicked you back to the default and that might be AT&T PTA, which I'm not certain will work with that plan.

Be very, very careful flashing bootloaders and modems on this phone. Keep them matched, and never try to downgrade - can't say that enough. Make sure you know for certain exactly what you have installed before proceeding. Either use the Samsung phone info app or enter this in a terminal app or adb shell:

Code:
getprop ro.bootloader
getprop gsm.version.baseband

NJ1 might work if those ROMs have the right libs and binaries built-in for NJ1. I wouldn't doubt it if NJ1 is supported, but I'm not sure (I stick with AOSP based ROMs). Best bet is to search the threads for those ROMs and see what you turn up; ask in those threads if it hasn't been posted on.

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013

Yes, she can.
There are sometimes troubles flashing the older ROMs when you are on the newer bootloaders, but these can be overcome. What is happening is that the updater-script for the ROMs are written to accept bootloaders released up to that time. If the dev is not keeping the ROM current you will get an error when flashing. This can be worked around by editing that same updater-script to accept the newer bootloader. This applies to TW based ROMs like S3Rx and TMS3KK as well as CM/AOSP based ROMs.

guardian715

Aug 9, 2012
No SIM card?

I have been reading xda for a while but i have a very unique issue here. I originally had the issue of having no mobile data, but being able to call and text and such. After reading a few they said come here and install the modem firmware... so I was like cool ok... but none of them worked... And now my phone will not detect the sim card. Under any mobile data options, it says that there is no sim card inserted. I tried flashing other custom roms but no success. I also tried odin flashing the 4.3 stock rom, but no success there either. I followed all instructions to the letter and it seems no one has this issue. Can anyone help?

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
I have been reading xda for a while but i have a very unique issue here. I originally had the issue of having no mobile data, but being able to call and text and such. After reading a few they said come here and install the modem firmware... so I was like cool ok... but none of them worked... And now my phone will not detect the sim card. Under any mobile data options, it says that there is no sim card inserted. I tried flashing other custom roms but no success. I also tried odin flashing the 4.3 stock rom, but no success there either. I followed all instructions to the letter and it seems no one has this issue. Can anyone help?

Before flashing or installing any more ROMs or modems, what bootloader and modem are currently on your phone. Either use an app, such as Phone Info - Samsung by vndnguyen from Playstore, or Terminal Emulator commands to determine the version numbers. The terminal commands are
Code:
getprop ro.bootloader
getprop | grep version.baseband

guardian715

Aug 9, 2012
Before flashing or installing any more ROMs or modems, what bootloader and modem are currently on your phone. Either use an app, such as Phone Info - Samsung by vndnguyen from Playstore, or Terminal Emulator commands to determine the version numbers. The terminal commands are
Code:
getprop ro.bootloader
getprop | grep version.baseband

Bootloader I747UCUFNE4
Modem is blank.

What does that mean?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: If anyone has any further questions about modems on the S3, please note that I have moved on to another device. Sorry!

Hello XDA!

I’ve taken over this thread, and I’m going to try to keep things a bit more organized.

First, you need to identify your model; This is fairly simple, you just need to either know what carrier it came from, or have the box it came in. If your phone came from AT&T, it’s an I747U. If your phone is from a Canadian carrier such as Telus, Rogers, Bell, Fido, Koodo, Sasktel, or MTS, you probably have an I747M. If you’re unsure, look on the bottom of the box it came in; Canadian models should all say SGH-I747M, while I believe AT&T models only say SGH-I747. Please let me know if yours says something different.

Things you’ll need:
    - Root (Technically you don't.)
    - Custom recovery (See my signature for help with this!)
    - The ability to click “Search” when you need help
    - A basic ability to read
    - And most importantly, a GALAXY S3 I747!

All modems posted in this thread will be flashable ZIPs, usable in either ClockworkMod or TWRP.

How to flash:
    1. Choose a firmware from below and download it to your device’s SD card or internal storage.
    2. Reboot into your custom recovery.
    3. Select the option to “Install” (same as installing a ROM) and locate the ZIP from step 1.
    4. After flashing, clearing your cache and dalvik cache is strongly recommended.
    5. Reboot and enjoy!

Modems are listed in the following format:

AT&T and other non-M devices.
    I747
    I747UCLEM: modem_CWM_I747UCLEM.zip - 19.06 MB - May 22nd, 2012 (original shipped)
    I747UCLG1: modem_CWM_I747UCLG1.zip - 19.06 MB - July 1st, 2012
    I747UCLH1: modem_CWM_I747UCLH1.zip - 19.40 MB - August 1st, 2012
    I747UCLH9: modem_CWM_I747UCLH9.zip - 18.90 MB - August 9th, 2012
    I747UCLI5: modem_CWM_I747UCLI5.zip - 19.51 MB - September 5th, 2012
    I747UCDLK3: modem_CWM_I747UCDLK3.zip - 18.42 MB - November 3rd, 2012
    I747UCDMG2: modem_CWM_I747UCDMG2.zip - 19.01 MB - July 2nd, 2013
    I747UCUEMJB: modem_CWM_I747UCUEMJB.zip - 19.15 MB - October 11, 2013

Telus, Rogers, Bell, Fido, Koodo, Sasktel, MTS, and other M devices.
    I747M
    I747MVLLE8: modem_CWM_I747MVLLE8.zip - 19.42 MB - May 8th, 2012 (original shipped)
    I747MLALH1: modem_CWM_I747MLALH1.zip - 19.62 MB - August 1st, 2012
    I747MVLLH1: modem_CWM_I747MVLLH1.zip - 19.46 MB - August 1st, 2012
    I747MUMALJ1: modem_CWM_I747MUMALJ1.zip - 19.48 MB - October 1st, 2012
    I747MUMBLK3: modem_CWM_I747MUMBLK3.zip - 18.97 MB - November 3rd, 2012
    I747MVLDLK4: modem_CWM_I747MVLDLK4.zip - 18.92 MB - November 4th, 2012
    I747MUMBLL1: modem_CWM_I747MUMBLL1.zip - 18.97 MB - December 1st, 2012
    I747MVLDMF1: modem_CWM_I747MVLDMF1.zip - 18.99 MB - June 1st, 2013
    I747MVLUEMK5: modem_CWM_I747MVLUEMK5.zip - 19.17 MB - November 5th, 2013
    I747MVLUEND2: modem_CWM_I747MVLUEND2.zip - 18.79 MB - April 2nd, 2014
    I747MUMUEND3: modem_CWM_I747MUMUEND3.zip - 18.80 MB - April 3rd, 2014

Check my Dropbox if d-h.st is giving you issues. :)

Call Display w/ Name not working after updating? Check this post. (Note: This doesn't affect names saved in your phone, only names that are obtained via your carrier's "Call Display Name" feature.)

F.A.Q.

Q: What is a modem, anyway?
    A: The modem is the chip inside your phone that controls the connection to the cellular towers. This is a collection of different firmware versions for that chip.

Q: Firmware…?
    A: Firmware is a type of software that directly controls how a piece of hardware operates. It’s a bit like a driver on your computer. (Yes, I’ve oversimplified this. Wikipedia can tell you more.)

Q: Which one do I use?
    A: Make sure you’re using one for the correct model; Beyond that, it’s completely up to you. Results will vary from location-to-location, and even device-to-device. Try them yourself and see which one works best for you. (Note: Some people say that their reception gets better over time if they let the firmware “settle”. This doesn't make much sense, as the firmware doesn’t work like that, but feel free to try anyway.)

Q: I flashed the wrong model’s firmware, am I screwed?
    A: Probably not. Just reflash the correct firmware and clear your dalvik cache, and you’ll probably be back in business. In worst-case situations, I’ve seen a phone require a full ROM reinstall including wiping /data, but that’s the price you pay for not reading the directions. :p

Q: Can I install this if I am not rooted?
    A: Technically, root is not required for this, but how do you plan on getting the custom recovery on there without root?

Q: Will this give me LTE?
    A: If you’re not getting LTE now, you probably won’t get any different results with a different firmware. Check your carrier’s network map to ensure you have LTE coverage in your area.

Q: My data/voice/SMS performance is much worse with X firmware…
    A: Try another! Keep track of which ones you’ve tried and post back here with your results. It’s even more helpful if you give us your general location along with your results. :)

Q: My phone says “4G”, but my speeds are terrible… Will a different modem firmware fix this?
    Short A: Maybe, but probably not.

Long A: Are you still on a carrier-built ROM? Carrier ROMs “lie” to you and label HSPA (which is a 3G technology) with a “4G” badge. This was a marketing ploy long before LTE ever existed. Now that everyone’s used to being on “4G” networks, they needed to come up with a way to differentiate LTE as something “new”, so they kept “4G” as the label for HSPA, and have added the “4G LTE” label for when you’re actually getting real 4G service. Most custom ROMs fix this, and properly tell you if you’re getting “3G”, “H”(for HSPA), “H+” (for HSDPA or HSPA-DC), or “4G” (for LTE). Flashing the modem firmware can't fix this specific problem.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [MODEM] Complete Modem List for both I747U & I747M, Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
    dstruct2k

Version Information

Created 2014-12-25
    Last Updated 2014-12-24
    [MODEM] The complete modem list for I-747 & I747M

Original OP - moved onto another device
    Here's the latest Modem from the latest AT&T OTA Update

AT&T UCLH9 Modem
    Download HERE
    No one made one from the new ATT yet?

Here is one you can add to OP then....modem_CWM_I747UCDLK3.zip

This is solely for ATT i747 and is from the latest UCDLK3
    I747mvldlk4

I've pulled I747MVLDLK4 from the just-released Canadian Jelly Bean update. Here's a recovery-flashable .zip (18.92 MiB).

(Please back things up first, and please, PLEASE only try this if you're running an i747m, i.e. a Canadian handset! I'm not responsible for you borking your phone over this, so don't complain to me if this doesn't do what you expected.)