18th March 2015, 03:27 PM |#151  
Flag Bath
Thanks Meter: 211

844 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spastikitten

uh console os is 64bit uefi only .... the venue 8 pro is 32bit uefi

ConsoleOS is a con; a rebadged version of Android-IA that looks like it's being 'repackaged' by people who don't even know how to code beyond changing a few text strings. They still don't seem to have Android up and running on a V11P with newer BIOS versions even though it was on their initial compatibility list, I sent them a photo of mine running 5.0.2 just for the giggles. Unless you happen to have one of the few machines which are properly supported by Intel's IA effort, it's a crapshoot.

Android-x86 works on almost anything and unlike Android-IA, it uses a not-so-far from mainline kernel so you can easily make it work if it doesn't as-shipped (their stock 4.4 images don't boot on my machine.) If you make efi_img, you can create a 5.0.2 build using EFI grub which will easily boot on 32 and 64-bit UEFI depending upon which kernel you go for (and if you're just ripping apart the images to restore to partitions anyway, it's irrelevant.) The BayTrail CPUs are actually 64-bit capable, those machines shipped with 32-bit Windows originally because connected standby didn't work in x86_64 Windows at the time of release. Dell are now selling versions of the Atom V11P/V8P which ship with 64-bit Windows like my Core V11P, I guess those must have 64-bit UEFI. I haven't had any luck booting a 32-bit kernel on my 64-bit UEFI machine, so I'm assuming the reverse is also impossible. However, even if you have one of the 32-bit UEFI systems, you can boot 64-bit kernels from a 32-bit version of GRUB if you turn the CSM on and use the standard BIOS boot method. It's just that I like to EFI boot, since turning on Legacy Mode seems to triple the amount of time it takes the tablet to start up. Hopefully, full 64-bit (userspace and kernel) Lollipop builds will soon be possible and then we can really kick ARM hardware in the behind :P

There are a few bugs in the Mesa graphics layer though, I still can't get video playback to work in some apps (like iPlayer, although YouTube started working with my most recent build)... I guess we'll get there eventually. I think the Android-x86 developers are still concentrating on bugfixes for 4.4 and getting a newer Mesa build integrated (I think it uses 9.x and you can do a build with 10.4.x now, which should bring performance improvements and bugfixes) so not much has happened on the Lollipop branch aside from initial bringup. It works though
Last edited by Azurael; 18th March 2015 at 03:49 PM.
18th March 2015, 07:13 PM |#152  
Thanks Meter: 16

80 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyiu

I tried to wipe my partition and installed 2/10 version but it failed to start on a03/a04 bios. I see a cursor blanking and won't boot into Android.
Now I put back 3/6 version, but still can't adjust brightness manually at all. The screen is too bright for me and I can't stare at the white for too long.
And also I notice I can't boot into Android without pressing f12 or enter bios. If I don't do neither of these actions, the screen go blank after i select android on the efi menu and nothing happens.
Battery drains rather quickly I think I get 2 hours or less on a full charge.

Apparently another guy had a similar issue, and brightness can be adjusted manually in /sys/class/backlight (he actually used System Tuner, but I assume the app adjusts values there).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurael

Dell are now selling versions of the Atom V11P/V8P which ship with 64-bit Windows like my Core V11P, I guess those must have 64-bit UEFI. I haven't had any luck booting a 32-bit kernel on my 64-bit UEFI machine, so I'm assuming the reverse is also impossible. However, even if you have one of the 32-bit UEFI systems, you can boot 64-bit kernels from a 32-bit version of GRUB if you turn the CSM on and use the standard BIOS boot method. It's just that I like to EFI boot, since turning on Legacy Mode seems to triple the amount of time it takes the tablet to start up. Hopefully, full 64-bit (userspace and kernel) Lollipop builds will soon be possible and then we can really kick ARM hardware in the behind :P

There are a few bugs in the Mesa graphics layer though, I still can't get video playback to work in some apps (like iPlayer, although YouTube started working with my most recent build)... I guess we'll get there eventually. I think the Android-x86 developers are still concentrating on bugfixes for 4.4 and getting a newer Mesa build integrated (I think it uses 9.x and you can do a build with 10.4.x now, which should bring performance improvements and bugfixes) so not much has happened on the Lollipop branch aside from initial bringup. It works though

Since you have a Core Venue 11 Pro, does touch/stylus work on either Kitkat or Lollipop? I built a vanilla Kitkat last night with 64-bit kernel from latest upstream (make iso_img rather than EFI), but touch doesn't work . None of the versions I found online worked either.
Also, does your touchpad act like the touchscreen rather than a mouse? Did you have to add something like psmouse.proto=stuff to fix it?
18th March 2015, 08:28 PM |#153  
Flag Bath
Thanks Meter: 211

844 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlrdka22

Apparently another guy had a similar issue, and brightness can be adjusted manually in /sys/class/backlight (he actually used System Tuner, but I assume the app adjusts values there).

Since you have a Core Venue 11 Pro, does touch/stylus work on either Kitkat or Lollipop? I built a vanilla Kitkat last night with 64-bit kernel from latest upstream (make iso_img rather than EFI), but touch doesn't work . None of the versions I found online worked either.
Also, does your touchpad act like the touchscreen rather than a mouse? Did you have to add something like psmouse.proto=stuff to fix it?

I use the 3.18 kernel source, the touchscreen doesn't work at all with the stock 3.16. Presently, it works 9 out of 10 boots if I reboot directly from Windows to the Android-x86 EFI boot entry I created. Prior to a change in the kernel source a few weeks ago, it was far less reliable and before the latest BIOS update from Dell it didn't work at all. There's no visible difference in the boot log when it doesn't work, so it's a difficult one to debug. Running Arch Linux, the touchscreen works flawlessly and has done since 3.18-ml kernels including with the previous BIOS version and I can't see the difference that's causing Android to behave differently.

The stylus works fine when the touchscreen is working, including palm rejection but it doesn't support pressure sensitivity.

Unfortunately, I don't have the keyboard yet, so I can't comment on it's functionality...

All of the above applies to both 4.4 and 5.0 builds, they appear to behave the same aside from the fact that 4.4 with the experimental MESA 10.4 repo plays video properly in every app.
18th March 2015, 08:57 PM |#154  

80 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurael

I use the 3.18 kernel source, the touchscreen doesn't work at all with the stock 3.16. Presently, it works 9 out of 10 boots if I reboot directly from Windows to the Android-x86 EFI boot entry I created. Prior to a change in the kernel source a few weeks ago, it was far less reliable and before the latest BIOS update from Dell it didn't work at all. There's no visible difference in the boot log when it doesn't work, so it's a difficult one to debug. Running Arch Linux, the touchscreen works flawlessly and has done since 3.18-ml kernels including with the previous BIOS version and I can't see the difference that's causing Android to behave differently.

The stylus works fine when the touchscreen is working, including palm rejection but it doesn't support pressure sensitivity.

Unfortunately, I don't have the keyboard yet, so I can't comment on it's functionality...

All of the above applies to both 4.4 and 5.0 builds, they appear to behave the same aside from the fact that 4.4 with the experimental MESA 10.4 repo plays video properly in every app.

Ah, I'll try building EFI, see if it's any better then.
I'm also running Arch . On that note, did you try either 3.19 or 4.0? The touchscreen appears to not work there, whereas in 3.18.x, it works perfectly. No indication whatsoever of what could be wrong. Enabling debugging didn't result in anything noticeable (just like in Android).
The touchscreen thing between Android and Arch in 3.18.x might be related to this bug that happens on Fedora, but not Arch.

This is weird, because touch/stylus works perfectly fine, including pressure sensitivity, on my V8P, both on Fedora (Fedlet) and Android x86, and it uses the same SYNA7500 touchscreen, just different product ID.
Compiling Android x86 with 3.19, touch/stylus is also perfectly fine on V8P.
19th March 2015, 03:45 AM |#155  

80 posts
Welp, tried all combinations I can think of, can't get touchscreen to work on my V11P, even though the same builds work on my V8P.
Sighs.
19th March 2015, 10:34 AM |#156  
Thanks Meter: 2

28 posts
More
would i please be able to get a link to the latest build....cant find it anywhere..

also when i ad the backlight line to grub...i get no display,just a backlight
20th March 2015, 03:46 AM |#157  

80 posts
Quote:

On that note, did you try either 3.19 or 4.0? The touchscreen appears to not work there, whereas in 3.18.x, it works perfectly. No indication whatsoever of what could be wrong. Enabling debugging didn't result in anything noticeable (just like in Android).

Finally got touchscreen/stylus working on 4.0, after (almost) an entire afternoon of kernel compiling.
20th March 2015, 03:53 AM |#158  
Thanks Meter: 2

28 posts
More
Quote:

Finally got touchscreen/stylus working on 4.0, after (almost) an entire afternoon of kernel compiling.

hey thats awesome news!!! would you be ablw to put an iso for it please...that would be awesome!!
30th March 2015, 07:19 PM |#159  
Thanks Meter: 0

52 posts
Hi there,

after reading through 16 pages, I have one question: Can you please link me to a step by step guide on how to get android x86 running in persistent mode on a DV8P (3845)? I know how to get Android x86 on a stick etc, but I didn't want to mess with anything so far as I normally only flash original Android devices and don't want to break Win8 or the BIOS on this one.

by the way: How can you delete the recovery partition and add it to the C drive? In Windows preferably. Always got stuck at "can't modify that partition because it is in use". Or can I just install Win8.1 freshly from a USB drive reassigning partitions like usual?

Thanks in advance!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dell venue 8 pro, dual boot
Previous Thread Next Thread