Can't boot into Recovery, Bootloader, Download, or Fastboot! Why?

Search This thread

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
I guess I don't know how to get into this 'black screen' in recovery.

All I get to is the standard 'No Command' screen, in which I can't use any ADB commands.
What are the instructions to get into the other screen?
I didn't mean black screen in recovery. I meant for you to try dd command from where you are bootlooping. Don't reboot recovery until you have used dd command to write the twrp recovery to recovery partition.

vwnut13

May 25, 2014
I didn't mean black screen in recovery. I meant for you to try dd command from where you are bootlooping. Don't reboot recovery until you have used dd command to write the twrp recovery to recovery partition.

Ah, I understand now. I just tried and no dice, "cannot open for read: Permission denied"

It seems that I can finally say there is no hope for this thing. My issue is that I didn't allow permission to Shell in SuperSU, simple as that.

There is nothing that I can do because I can't access root permission to shell without being able to boot up. I can't uninstall SuperSU because it is a system app (and because it seems this phone is pretty borked, trying to install an app flashes errors in ADB).

Oh well, at least I have some replacement parts. Thanks everybody for all the help.

Reactions: ibub

Area51Rebuilt

Mar 31, 2015
Not sure if it really matters. But I have gotten past the bootloop I had the lgl34reboot". loop. Rooted it through towel root. Then accidentally deleted chrome and all of a sudden the background disappeared and none of the button worked as far as back arrow. Home and windows button. So I decided to turn it off then back on. Went through and did the same thing so I pulled down notifications tab. And wiped the phone. Turned it on and bam LG bootloop. So instead I held down the volume down and power button for about 4 bootloops. Let go and let it sit at the tracfone screen for about 30 minutes. I started pressing the buttons. Mainly the middle home button. And the phone came to the LG setup wizard.
This is where I became stuck. I would click continue through everything. However at the end it says " LG setup wizard has suddenly stopped". No matter what I do I cannot get past this screen. I have however figured out a way to get usb debugging on while in this menu.
How to do this : 1 continue through all screens of the setup wizard.
2. When it says " LG setup wizard has stopped working" pull down notification bar.
3. Click and hold locations. ( you can find this by scrolling to the right)
4 now just press the back arrown on top left. And go down to the about phone software. Kernel and tap 7 times. It will unlock dev options click it and allow usb debugging.

So through all of this. Now I'm stuck. Can I just download adb and run "adb shell reboot" or will that not work i can send screenshots if needed or could I use a factory flashed version

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
Not sure if it really matters. But I have gotten past the bootloop I had the lgl34reboot". loop. Rooted it through towel root. Then accidentally deleted chrome and all of a sudden the background disappeared and none of the button worked as far as back arrow. Home and windows button. So I decided to turn it off then back on. Went through and did the same thing so I pulled down notifications tab. And wiped the phone. Turned it on and bam LG bootloop. So instead I held down the volume down and power button for about 4 bootloops. Let go and let it sit at the tracfone screen for about 30 minutes. I started pressing the buttons. Mainly the middle home button. And the phone came to the LG setup wizard.
This is where I became stuck. I would click continue through everything. However at the end it says " LG setup wizard has suddenly stopped". No matter what I do I cannot get past this screen. I have however figured out a way to get usb debugging on while in this menu.
How to do this : 1 continue through all screens of the setup wizard.
2. When it says " LG setup wizard has stopped working" pull down notification bar.
3. Click and hold locations. ( you can find this by scrolling to the right)
4 now just press the back arrown on top left. And go down to the about phone software. Kernel and tap 7 times. It will unlock dev options click it and allow usb debugging.

So through all of this. Now I'm stuck. Can I just download adb and run "adb shell reboot" or will that not work i can send screenshots if needed or could I use a factory flashed version

adb reboot will do nothing but reboot device, which is the same thing that you have managed to do without adb. And a factory reset does not restore system apps that people reclessly delete. It only erases downloaded apps and settings from /data and /cache. And unless you converted SuperSU to a system app prior to factory reset, then you MAY have POSSIBLY lost root access. IF you are able to access device via adb (type and enter adb devices to see), then it MIGHT be possible to reinstall SuperSU.apk and regain root (adb install /storage/external_SD/supersu.apk). IF this is successful, then you MIGHT be able to recieve rsa security prompt on your device and select allow this computer access. But then you would need to write twrp to recovery partition, and use it to restore the system image that daishi4u provided on page 29. I would suggest using LG flash tool, but since we don't seem to have access to download mode I'm not sure that would work.

mateo121212

Apr 6, 2015
[/COLOR]Here's a Chinese forum that supposedly offers the official Verizon LG Optimus Zone 2 firmware, but you have to register. Nonetheless, maybe this means a kang'ed/debloated version is a possibility??? The Optimus Zone 2 is just Verizon's name for none other than the TracFone L34C equivalent. .

hey i got a username and password for that site. the links that are hidden are broken anyways they dont work.

send me a PM to get the links because i cant post them

even with password there is another link for each file that i need 2 content points to read. once i figure out how to get those i will see what hidden links are available

Reactions: kuhlj068

Eli hutchison

Oct 26, 2015
I accidentally deleted my play store and my settings crash every time I open it, and "unknown resouces" is unchecked so I'm pretty much screwed on this phone

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
Okay I got the full user guide that was NOT included this is the LG Full guide. Just Click it, had to put it on 4shared as it is too large to upload as .pdf on here.

Upload it to https://mega.co.nz/ 4shared is just too messy.. Thanks for the link though.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Is this part still working right? :

1 Turn the phone off.

2 Press and hold the Power/Lock Key + Volume Down Key .

3 Hold down the Volume Down Key and release the Power/Lock Key when the LG logo is displayed.

4 Press the Power/Lock Key again within 3 seconds while the Volume Down Key holding down.

5 When the Factory data reset screen appear, release all keys.

6 Use the Volume Keys to highlight Yes and press the Power/Lock Key to confirm.

7 Use the Volume Keys to highlight Yes and press the Power/Lock Key to confirm one more time.

8 Your phone will perform a factory reset.

Can't seem to get it to work properly..

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
Upload it to https://mega.co.nz/ 4shared is just too messy.. Thanks for the link though.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Is this part still working right? :

1 Turn the phone off.

2 Press and hold the Power/Lock Key + Volume Down Key .

3 Hold down the Volume Down Key and release the Power/Lock Key when the LG logo is displayed.

4 Press the Power/Lock Key again within 3 seconds while the Volume Down Key holding down.

5 When the Factory data reset screen appear, release all keys.

6 Use the Volume Keys to highlight Yes and press the Power/Lock Key to confirm.

7 Use the Volume Keys to highlight Yes and press the Power/Lock Key to confirm one more time.

8 Your phone will perform a factory reset.

Can't seem to get it to work properly..

No, that method does not work for these devices. If you want to factory reset, go to settings > backup + reset, and choose your options for backup before performing the reset. But if you want to access recovery, there are other options posted later in this thread.

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
No, that method does not work for these devices. If you want to factory reset, go to settings > backup + reset, and choose your options for backup before performing the reset. But if you want to access recovery, there are other options posted later in this thread.

The phone won't boot at all.

CAM00036.jpg

So no in-phone options. According to http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1854851-Recovery-mode-in-Optimus-Fuel-L34C-**SOLVED** it looks like Tracfone didn't include some necessary packages for a proper hardware button reset. The phone wasn't rooted. If the method you're speaking of doesn't require the phone having been rooted, please link the post. Thank you for providing some extra insight.

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
The phone won't boot at all.

CAM00036.jpg

So no in-phone options. According to http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1854851-Recovery-mode-in-Optimus-Fuel-L34C-**SOLVED** it looks like Tracfone didn't include some necessary packages for a proper hardware button reset. The phone wasn't rooted. If the method you're speaking of doesn't require the phone having been rooted, please link the post. Thank you for providing some extra insight.

No, the only way we have access to recovery by key press is via daishi4u modified kernel, which requires root to install.

Reactions: Night AoX

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
@vwnut13
If you can adb reboot recovery (which I believe shows that you have root while in the black screen), then you should also be able to use the dd command (while in black screen) to write daishi4u's twrp image:
http://www.androidarea51.com/index.php?topic=3745.0
from external_SD to recovery. For example:
adb shell
dd if=/storage/external_SD/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
exit
adb reboot recovery
In this example, the twrp image must first be renamed to recovery.img, and must be placed in the root of your external sd (not inside some folder). After writing to, and rebooting into twrp recovery, you can follow daishi4u's instructions (search this thread) to restore the twrp system backup that he provided. And I also recommend installing his modified bumped kernel (life saver).

I got this LG-L34C from a friend. She says she does believe it was in fact rooted before this bootloop started.

I'm going to try and fix it but, there are a few caveats.

1) I haven't needed to use ADB in a long time because I never worked with a phone this cumbersome.

2) I do have the USB driver installed for my LG Optimus F7. It's my understanding that the LGMobileDriver_WHQL_Ver_4.0.4.exe driver is essentially a universal USB driver for LG phones. When I plugged the phone in via USB, the phone boot looped this screen:

CAM00036.jpg

and Device Manager didn't recognize any devices and the PC didn't make the "a device has been connected" sound. There is no driver download option for the LG-L34C on the LG website. Will the driver I currently have work? After about 50 boot loop runs, while I was looking up ADB tools, the boot loops finally stopped and then the PC made the "a device has been connected" sound. I checked Device Manager, scanned for hardware changes and I now see this:

Capture_7.png

3) Since I haven't needed to use an ADB tool in 5 years, I don't even remember much about them. Which tools do you recommend? I understand the syntax but, I'm just having an issue with getting the USB driver installed for the PC to fully recognize the device.

4) She has more of these devices that may too be rooted that are also having this infamous boot loop. If I can get the one I have here back up and running, I should be able to guide her through the process but, I need to know if there is a way to get the PC to recognize a device has been connected without having to sit through an infinite amount of boot loops. I mean, did I just get lucky that the PC even recognize the device at all? Is there anything I can do to get the PC to recognize the device faster?

5) Also, I'm running Windows 10 64-bit. I don't know if that has anything to do with why it took so long for the PC to recognize the device but, something tells me that it does so, there's that bit of information.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Logiel

Jan 14, 2016
Paris
Have you ever flashed a ROM or other thing ? Maybe you have a problem with the phone's NAND.

Sorry for my bad english : I'm french...

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
Have you ever flashed a ROM or other thing ? Maybe you have a problem with the phone's NAND.

Sorry for my bad english : I'm french...

Haha. I'm guessing you're talking to me. The phone has never had another ROM. Just stock rooted; that's if her memory is correct and she did in fact root the phone..

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
Cruel, cruel fate. Thank you for the confirmation.
Can't see either of the images you posted, but I'm guessing that you are looping on the LG logo. Any text? Anyway, if it's reloading the kernel over and over, then it probably disconnects each time. So in order to send a command via adb would need to be timed just right (difficult, if not impossible). I'm not sure that a factory reset would work or not. If SuperSU was not converted from a user app to a system app, then a factory reset will erase the app and you will likely lose root access. You could try to install daishi4u's kernel (boot.img) and twrp recovery.img in adb shell via the dd command. The kernel would give you access to recovery via key press. The recovery MIGHT allow you to reboot the system (I had to do that a couple of days ago, after switching to a spare battery ). But I'm really not sure that any of this will work. These devices are very finicky.

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
Can't see either of the images you posted, but I'm guessing that you are looping on the LG logo. Any text? Anyway, if it's reloading the kernel over and over, then it probably disconnects each time. So in order to send a command via adb would need to be timed just right (difficult, if not impossible). I'm not sure that a factory reset would work or not. If SuperSU was not converted from a user app to a system app, then a factory reset will erase the app and you will likely lose root access. You could try to install daishi4u's kernel (boot.img) and twrp recovery.img in adb shell via the dd command. The kernel would give you access to recovery via key press. The recovery MIGHT allow you to reboot the system (I had to do that a couple of days ago, after switching to a spare battery ). But I'm really not sure that any of this will work. These devices are very finicky.

Do you have Ghostery or a script blocker? A similar extension probably blocked the images.. I'll upload them though so you can see exactly what they say. Also, how do I ADB into the phone? I haven't used these tools in 5 years.. Vaguely remember using an ADB tool..

Attachments

• CAM00036.jpg
    CAM00036.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 78

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
Well now I have the exact opposite problem. I noticed that the device was running slow. So I looked at internal storage and RAM usage, and both were pretty used up. So I uninstalled some apps, moved some downloads to external SD, cleared app caches, etc. But it didn't seem like I had gained very much, so I tried a reboot. Now the system won't boot, but I can still access twrp. Tried restoring backup of system and boot.img. No go. Finally sacrificed my data by factory reset. Still won't boot system. I am now using my spare Fuel.

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
Well now I have the exact opposite problem. I noticed that the device was running slow. So I looked at internal storage and RAM usage, and both were pretty used up. So I uninstalled some apps, moved some downloads to external SD, cleared app caches, etc. But it didn't seem like I had gained very much, so I tried a reboot. Now the system won't boot, but I can still access twrp. Tried restoring backup of system and boot.img. No go. Finally sacrificed my data by factory reset. Still won't boot system. I am now using my spare Fuel.

Yeah, light weight = potato. It's okay though. If some sort of miracle occurs, awesome.

Night AoX

Apr 28, 2012
@vwnut13
If you can adb reboot recovery (which I believe shows that you have root while in the black screen), then you should also be able to use the dd command (while in black screen) to write daishi4u's twrp image:
http://www.androidarea51.com/index.php?topic=3745.0
from external_SD to recovery. For example:
adb shell
dd if=/storage/external_SD/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
exit
adb reboot recovery
In this example, the twrp image must first be renamed to recovery.img, and must be placed in the root of your external sd (not inside some folder). After writing to, and rebooting into twrp recovery, you can follow daishi4u's instructions (search this thread) to restore the twrp system backup that he provided. And I also recommend installing his modified bumped kernel (life saver).

Okay androidarea51 is literally a broken piece of crap so, I'm hoping you can help me.

Okay so, I just made a backup. I'm now trying to restore on another LG Fuel but, TWRP didn't make a .zip. It just made a .L34CV10c file? So, when attempting to flash the backup, there's no .zip to use? I'm completely lost here. I tried to enabled compression figuring compression would = .zip but, nope. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong..

ibub

Oct 22, 2012
Louisville,Ky
Okay androidarea51 is literally a broken piece of crap so, I'm hoping you can help me.

Okay so, I just made a backup. I'm now trying to restore on another LG Fuel but, TWRP didn't make a .zip. It just made a .L34CV10c file? So, when attempting to flash the backup, there's no .zip to use? I'm completely lost here. I tried to enabled compression figuring compression would = .zip but, nope. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong..

Twrp backup is not the same as a flashable zip. To RESTORE a backup, you must use the RESTORE function. If you are attempting to restore a backup from another phone, then you first need to make a small backup with the phone that you wish to add the backup to. This will create the proper folder name within the twrp backup folder. So it will look like: TWRP/BACKUPS/ lgl34cabc123xyz, or something similar. The last folder name has a different code on the end for each individual phone, so this is necessary. Then place your backup inside of that folder, reboot to recovery, choose restore, select your backup, and restore it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To anyone who hasn't been keeping up at Androidarea51.com, I have twrp 2.8.3.0 compiled with the added option of backing up the internal sdcard. It is fully functional except the clock still. Teamwin compiled theirs for the wrong processor and still haven't fixed it so I will be uploading mine this week after testing is complete ? haven't found anything wrong except the clock so I was thinking even within the next couple days ?

The newer version has mtp support as well, meaning you can hook it up to the computer while in recovery and simply copy and paste stuff into your SD folders. There's a lot of other great features as well. Oh, and you can also restore a backup made with my 2.8 version if anyone was wondering...

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention I also have cwm 6.0.5.1 compiled and ready to go. I will be uploading that as well at the same time as twrp or maybe sooner. Maybe one of these days I'll take a shot at compiling PhilZ as well...
    LG has fastboot locked out. I was browsing the LG G2 forums when I found that people are able to get to fastboot by zeroing out their 'laf' partition and forcing the phone into fastboot (because aboot can't find it) where we can then flash a custom recovery.img hopefully. I have the recovery partition extracted and replaced /sbin/recovery with CWM and repacked. I just need to get into fastboot to test it. I will get a second phone from walmart to dev with, they're only $30. if anyone has a dev phone to test it on, read on...

This is theory and hasen't been tested. We may not even be able to run custom recovery or fastboot.

If anyone wants to pick up here be sure you have fastboot and adb installed and have some dev knowledge, not for noobs like me.

backup your laf partition to an external SD card (insert a micro SD)
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/storage/external_SD/laf.img
    pull laf.img to your computer as a backup and to use later in fastboot
    wipe your laf partition [I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU KILL YOUR PHONE]
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf
    reboot your phone and connect it to your computer.
    your phone SHOULD (I have not tested this) boot into fastboot as a failsafe.
    on your computer
    Code:
    fastboot flash laf laf.img
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    phone should reboot back to normal.

This will test that we can in fact get to fastboot.

STOCK laf, boot & recovery files to look at. The included repacker does not repack the images properly. I use linux tools for repacking.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14669363/LGL36C.rar
    Just to let everyone know, I have been successful at creating a both twrp and cwm for this device. I also created a custom boot image that allows you to boot into recovery by tapping volume up while booting and it also has built in init.d support. I'm going to thoroughly test everything and have others test it then she will be all yours guys! ?
    When flashing firmware to my previous LG p500, I didn't need a special cable. As I recall, the LG update tool was able to put the phone into download mode. But the drivers need to be installed to computer first. To use KDZ, I think I had to hold key combinations for the p500, but not power button, while plugging into computer. This would set download mode. But with this phone...I'm stumped.
    Edit:
    What is the function of this cable?

Sent from my LGL34C using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Please document any successful methods here on the thread, for the benefit of everyone here. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of bricks here. :rolleyes:

Sent from my LGL34C using XDA Free mobile app

Okay so this is actually fairly simple for once, I will cut out all the useless info and only post the stuff relative to the optimus fuel..if you have softbricked your device or maybe your not sure yet, first things first you need to plug it up to the pc in windows it will mount the phone like it would a thumbdrive, instead of showing the phone name under my computer it will now show it as a drive open that up and you will see two folders image and verinfo, if that is the case then you are ready to attempt to un-softbrick it.

The second thing you are going to have to have is a copy of linux installed, I use a dual boot of mint and win 8.1, I tried this on a virtual machine as well and it did not list things properly..so I cannot say whether a vm will work for sure.

So boot into your linux os on pc and plug the phone to usb to pc.

Now open up console

type in ls /dev/sd* -----press enter

This will show you a big list of partitions, whichever partition you see with the highest number for instance sdf32 then take note of it as it is where your device is being detected.

now with the result of the last command you typed from console enter gdisk -l /dev/sdf <----i am using sdf because that is what mine listed, i assume it will be the same, let me know if for some reason it is not, but would probably work anyway press enter and you will get a big list of the partitions, with numbers associated with them it will look something like this below

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
    6 229376 231423 1024.0 KiB FFFF aboot

but with many more numbers listed pay attention to those numbers, especiallly to the ones associated with the .img you may have altered to brick your phone in the first place, because you will be wanting to replace those .img with the originals.

So....if you have messed up any of those partition images listed for instance the aboot is listed under sdf6 in the above example then you first need to be root in the console by typing sudo -i and enter your admin pw press enter to run console as root.

now lets fix out aboot with none other than dd commands in the console you enter
    dd if=/path/toyour/aboot.img of=/dev/sdf6 and then press enter and it should push the image back.
    Once you have pushed all the images back that you need/want then simply hold power button down til the phone reboots and hopefully you see the logo again, i have recovered my own from messing with aboot twice, as far as the other partitions I cannot say as I have not messed with them much, i can say that abootb modifying it does not softbrick or do anything that i can tell, unless i type adb reboot recovery after changing it i get a security error instead of the regular booting right into the os.

so just make sure to use sdf6 instead of most of the time you would use of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/aboot but since it is in bulk mode it changes to /dev/sdf6 and the gdisk -l /dev/sdf will give you the list of them all so you will know which # the img should be associated with hope that helps someone out there, I used the following post to figure all this out on my own for this device, i used all that info just simply modified it to fit my own needs, so if any thanks is given give it there.

Once y

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2582142

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Also i found a post that tells you how to get into stock recovery if that helps or not i dunno, but it does work.

the first is a way to run it in a script i had probs with it.

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh

cd /cache/recovery

echo "--show_text" >> command

chmod 644 command

reboot recovery

Now This is what I used thru adb and it works, however it doesnt stick for next time i have to enter this again just to get into stock recovery.

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /cache/recovery
    echo "--show_text" >> command
    chmod 644 command
    reboot recovery

this info came from androidarea51.com/lg-ortimus-fuel-lgl-l-35c/all-things-fuel/58/
    Loki exploit already Patched

I did not know about the Loki tool, good find. I had dumped and decompiled the laf partition. I have no way of knowing how to get to it through commands tho. I think its used for LG's proprietary flash tool.

I have aboot dumped and took a look at it in hex editor. Most aboot partitions are signed and cant be modified
    as they pertain to the hardware in the phone. HOWEVER, we can read them and use the info in them as the Loki tool does.

The method that Loki uses is patched in our aboot. Relevant Patch Commit

Verified with disassembly of my aboot from my LG lgl34c Fuel

ROM:0004A454 "kernel/ramdisk addresses overlap with aboot addresses.\n"
    ROM:0004A684 "Device tree addresses overlap with aboot addresses.\n"
    ROM:0004A6BC "Boot image buffer address overlaps with aboot addresses.\n"
    ROM:0004A6F8 "Signature read buffer address overlaps with aboot addresses.\n"

Relevant exploit section from Loki author djrbliss' notes:

Exploitation of this flaw proved to be fairly straightforward. I prepare a specially crafted boot image that specifies a ramdisk load address equal to the address of the check_sig() function in aboot physical memory. In my malicious boot image, I place shellcode where the ramdisk is expected to reside. I flash this image by leveraging root access in the Android operating system to write to the boot block device. When aboot reads the supposed ramdisk from eMMC flash, it actually overwrites the check_sig() function with my shellcode, and then invokes it. The shellcode simply patches up the boot image header to contain sane values, copies the actual kernel and ramdisk into appropriate locations in memory, and returns zero, indicating the signature verification succeeded. At this point, aboot continues the boot process and finally boots my unsigned kernel and ramdisk. Victory!

I'm still digging lol