FORUMS

Beats Music No Longer Accepting New Accounts

Whenever Apple launches a new product or service, it definitely manages to grab the … more

Do You Do Self-Repairs on Your Devices?

As smartphone designs become more and more complex, self-repairs on devices are also becoming … more

Sony Z4 Slips Out of Top 5 Smartphones in Japan

In a bid to streamline its flagship series which had been losing credibility over the … more

Sprint’s New Unlimited Plan with Ridiculous Capped Speeds

The carrier game in the United States is perpetually rushing forward at … more

Volume Control?

131 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By ETFoneHome, Senior Member on 10th April 2014, 09:55 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Even though it has no volume buttons on the remote,will the Fire TV have any other source of volume control, maybe within the apps or perhaps using a keyboard media keys?

This would be great for those using PC speakers that don't have a remote or for not having to use two remotes. Of all the set tops I have used, only Chromecast allows volume control via app. I can even turn off the phone's screen and still be able to use the volume buttons.

11th April 2014, 02:01 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I like the idea of controlling my volume with the FTV remote. It's android so maybe someone could tie system volume to the up and down buttons on the ring button of the FTV remote during video play back or audio playback. I do recognize there are times when you want to use the up and down rather than volume control though.

Just my $0.02
11th April 2014, 03:02 AM |#3  
Flag San Bernardino, California
Thanks Meter: 166

More
Yea I am trying to watch prime movie right now and I can barley here it with my tv volume all the way up. Volume boosting options would be nice too
7th April 2015, 03:15 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I also second this requirement. Using NetFlix with my Bluetooth speakers is a pain to control volume. Would be awesome to be able to use AFTV own remote control.
7th April 2015, 11:47 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
-- Edited --

Wrong reply... Sorry.
8th April 2015, 04:08 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 406

More
I ended up with buying speakers or an amplifier with a volume remote control instead.
8th April 2015, 04:47 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 206

More
Under 13, XBMC had a volume control that let you adjust gain during video playback (not music playback, IIRC.)

So it's possible to adjust the gain of the digital output - but it's important to understand that it is a digital output, whether via HDMI or optical out, and many apps simply will not touch a digital volume - doing so in some ways defeats the point of digitally reproducing sound since in theory you want to avoid altering the signal in the digital domain, you want to get it to the analog gain stage untouched, and then increase the signal amplitude there.

Ah, figured it out:

You need to disable passthrough in the audio menu of the video you're watching -- failing to do that means that you're telling the system 'pass through an exact copy of the audio' - which precludes fiddling with the gain of the signal (and thus compressing it.)

Once that's done, the gain slider operates.
Last edited by roustabout; 8th April 2015 at 06:27 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread