FORUMS

Earthquake Early Warning in Your Pocket

Probably all of us reading this have a smartphone in our pocket. For many of us, the … more

Sony: The OEM You Want To Save

In our recent Discuss article, we asked you readers on which OEM you would like to help. While the … more

How to Lock and Protect Your Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

The smartphone revolution has passed. Everybody has mobile apps. Some of … more

Which OEM Would You Like to Help?

Most manufacturers have moments of greatness and moments of decadence, and in the past few years … more

[Q] Nexus 7 hangs at "Google", can't enter Recovery

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By thisisjjd, Member on 11th February 2014, 10:13 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
6th March 2015, 12:43 AM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Add me
Happened last night, cant boot to recovery etc. Had the back off touched everything no luck no warranty.

Just want to add to the numbers.

6th March 2015, 07:28 PM |#62  

More
One more bricked device
Found the device showing google while charging, then everything is the same:
Normal boot = hang at Google screen.
Boot to bootloader = ok
Boot to recovery = hangs at Google screen.
Unlock bootloader = hang/freeze at erasing userdata (1.5 hours past and I'm still waiting)
7th March 2015, 04:17 PM |#63  

More
Another one bites the dust
Completely stock, and bought the tablet the day it was released.

Got lollipop recently. Maybe a month or so ago.

Was watching Netflix at about 67% battery when it hung. Forced it off. Reboot brings "Google" in white letters. Like most people, I was able to get into Bootloader (fastboot), but not able to get into Recovery (sticks on "Google" again). Haven't tried to send fastboot commands yet, but not entirely convinced it will help. Seems like everyone else gets stuck on "userdata".
----
UPDATE: I opened up the back and disconnected both ends of the main ribbon that jumps over the battery. Reconnected. Still BRICKED.
Last edited by pokeycd; 7th March 2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added info
10th March 2015, 02:03 PM |#64  

More
Prompt Add me to the list
I have the same symptoms as the original poster.
  • Stock Android
  • Nexus hangs on Google logo during normal boot and also during recovery boot.
  • Tried 'fastboot oem unlock' and it hangs on erasing userdata (even left it overnight)
  • Other fastboot commands (erase, format, etc) either hang on erase or say bootloader is locked
  • Out of warranty

This is the output of 'fastboot getvar all'
Code:
fastboot getvar all
(bootloader)  version-bootloader: FLO-04.04
(bootloader)  version-baseband: none
(bootloader)  version-hardware: rev_e
(bootloader)  version-cdma: N/A
(bootloader)  variant: flo 32G
(bootloader)  serialno: 072910b1
(bootloader)  product: flo
(bootloader)  secure_boot: enabled
(bootloader)  lock_state: locked
(bootloader)  project: flo
(bootloader)  off-mode-charge: yes
(bootloader)  uart-on: no
(bootloader)  partition-type:bootloader: emmc
(bootloader)  partition-size:bootloader: 0x0000000000aee000
(bootloader)  partition-type:recovery: emmc
(bootloader)  partition-size:recovery: 0x0000000000a00000
(bootloader)  partition-type:boot: emmc
(bootloader)  partition-size:boot: 0x0000000001000000
(bootloader)  partition-type:system: ext4
(bootloader)  partition-size:system: 0x0000000034800000
(bootloader)  partition-type:cache: ext4
(bootloader)  partition-size:cache: 0x0000000023000000
(bootloader)  partition-type:userdata: ext4
(bootloader)  partition-size:userdata: 0x00000006a3ffbe00
all:
finished. total time: 0.133s
I figured out how to get into "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" mode. QPST recognizes it. It says the Nexus 7 is in "Download Mode". I think that means I can write to it, I just have no idea what files to use. I can get the partition sizes and types from the Nexus, but not sure what to do next. Can I take the img files from the Google factory image and download them with eMMC Software Download that is with QPST?

BTW, Holding all 3 buttons (Power, Up Volume and Down Volume) the screen stays black, but it goes into the Qualcomm mode.

Thanks,
-Brian
9th April 2015, 07:44 AM |#65  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I was also stuck at Google Boot screen today, a few days after finally flashing 5.0.2 on the 4G version. I had to power it off because it was not recognizing the SIM (has happened twice in the last weeks), so I get the SIM out 'cleaned it', put it back and power the tablet on. Stuck on Google Bot screen. When going into recovery mode (TWRP) the touch screen was not working so I couldn't even wipe or recover the flash. In bootloader mode the volume and power keys worked but it was not very useful, I could just power off the device.

Then I read the comments about 'loose' things in the back of the motherboard and I tried just pressing the screen and the back of the tablet with extra force, without even opening it, just to see if it could work again (kind of old style hitting CRT TVs to make them work ). After a few attempts in TWRP recovery the touch screen was finally responsive. I tried to just boot to System and it's back working ...

So maybe this points to bad construction by part of ASUS and stuff is going loose inside the tablet and stops working making the firmware boot to get stuck waiting some response from some unresponsive hardware. I just wanted to share my experience in case it helps other. If the problem resurfaces I will come back.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoOoBo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2015, 02:02 PM |#66  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoOoBo

I was also stuck at Google Boot screen today, a few days after finally flashing 5.0.2 on the 4G version. I had to power it off because it was not recognizing the SIM (has happened twice in the last weeks), so I get the SIM out 'cleaned it', put it back and power the tablet on. Stuck on Google Bot screen. When going into recovery mode (TWRP) the touch screen was not working so I couldn't even wipe or recover the flash. In bootloader mode the volume and power keys worked but it was not very useful, I could just power off the device.

Then I read the comments about 'loose' things in the back of the motherboard and I tried just pressing the screen and the back of the tablet with extra force, without even opening it, just to see if it could work again (kind of old style hitting CRT TVs to make them work ). After a few attempts in TWRP recovery the touch screen was finally responsive. I tried to just boot to System and it's back working ...

So maybe this points to bad construction by part of ASUS and stuff is going loose inside the tablet and stops working making the firmware boot to get stuck waiting some response from some unresponsive hardware. I just wanted to share my experience in case it helps other. If the problem resurfaces I will come back.

I had the the same problem as you RoOoBo and tried your solution, it worked. Definitely bad hardware quality. I just pushed down on the back of the Nexus in several places, while resting it on a flat surface, then pressed the start but and it worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quarlco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2015, 02:45 PM |#67  

More
If this issue seems to happen more frequently after updating to 5.x, and not just because of aging or low quality hardware, it could be either because the new firmware is perhaps 'heating up' some component that previous firmwares didn't stress so much. Or it could be that the new firmware is performing some hardware check at boot that affects something that already failed, perhaps not every time but frequently enough, but was not so noticeable when the system is running. From my case it could point to some touch screen problem.
11th April 2015, 07:22 AM |#68  
Phx, AZ
Thanks Meter: 417

More
http://9to5google.com/2015/04/10/nex...roid-lollipop/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boot, hang, recovery, stuck
Previous Thread Next Thread