[MOD][XPOSED] Fire TV Mods by rbox

Search This thread

Skater4599

Sep 4, 2010
I would like to bind the "RecentsOnMenuLong" to a long press of the "Play/Pause" key for 51.1.5.0. How do I manage that?

I have not tested this, but thought about doing similar but with the long press of the Menu key instead of home.

<string name="KEYCODE_MENU_LONG">"RecentsOnMenuLong"</string>

I just don't know if "RecentsOnMenuLong" is the correct code for bringing up the recents menu

Last edited:

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I would like to bind the "RecentsOnMenuLong" to a long press of the "Play/Pause" key for 51.1.5.0. How do I manage that?

I have not tested this, but thought about doing similar but with the long press of the Menu key instead of home.

<string name="KEYCODE_MENU_LONG">"RecentsOnMenuLong"</string>

I just don't know if "RecentsOnMenuLong" is the correct code for bringing up the recents menu

Unfortunately it's not that simple. Android has the builtin ability to open the recents when long pressing the home. So by default I would just enable that if there wasn't already a binding for the home long. In theory it would be possible to bind it to an arbitrary key, but that would take more code. I'll definitely put it on the list of things.

Skater4599

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for clarification rbox, appreciate the help in any case, its not that big of a deal can definitely wait, its not a problem.

TomParis01

Feb 4, 2015
Ruhrgebiet
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Android has the builtin ability to open the recents when long pressing the home. So by default I would just enable that if there wasn't already a binding for the home long. In theory it would be possible to bind it to an arbitrary key, but that would take more code. I'll definitely put it on the list of things.
Thanks for explaining! Would it be possible to manage it the other way around, namely leaving the recent apps on the home key and binding the new 51.1.5.0 menu to another key?

subwoofer81

Sep 19, 2012
This is a great thread and a way to bypass the Amazon home screen. I added the XBMC launcher and everyone was working great until the other day it got stuck. I could only access the voice commands for the Fire TV but Kodi would not come up. So I was able to get around this by using ADB and uninstall org.xbmc.kodi and that worked! I'll be reinstalling this sometime soon.

So my question is: How do I get the Fire TV home button and the bootup to start with the Amazon home instead of Kodi? Is it as simple as uninstalling XBMC Launcher?

Nedle

Oct 5, 2013
Saw the new shortcut menu which gives you the option to sleep the FireTV. Really liked this but didn't want to give up the recents menu.

So instead I made a small app which sleeps the FireTV and bound that to long pressing the back button. Still have recents on long home this way and also the sleep functionality on a different key.

The app is simply a tasker task which I exported as apk so it can be launched using the key bindings in the rbox mods.

Ortega0517

Mar 13, 2015

Is there a guide on how to update without loosing root? I looked at AFTVNEWS.com guide on how to update or downgrade and was afraid I might loose root access or maybe brick. What should I do? Sorry for the noob questions. Iv never owned an android device before. Getting the fire tv was my first android :)

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Is there a guide on how to update without loosing root? I looked at AFTVNEWS.com guide on how to update or downgrade and was afraid I might loose root access or maybe brick. What should I do? Sorry for the noob questions. Iv never owned an android device before. Getting the fire tv was my first android :)

The site has guides on how to do it all, unlock, install recovery, update the OS.

loughrey101

May 4, 2014
This mod was great but the only problem is there is no way to disable the feature that when you hold the home button a few recent app selections appear. The problem with this is it blocks the ability of the new update to allow you to put the Fire TV to sleep by holding the home button. Is there a way to disable this feature on your Fire TV mods to allow you to make use of the sleep feature in the new official update? Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

The site has guides on how to do it all, unlock, install recovery, update the OS.

This mod was great but the only problem is there is no way to disable the feature that when you hold the home button a few recent app selections appear. The problem with this is it blocks the ability of the new update to allow you to put the Fire TV to sleep by holding the home button. Is there a way to disable this feature on your Fire TV mods to allow you to make use of the sleep feature in the new official update? Thanks!

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

You could scroll up like 20 posts... or read the OP...

loughrey101

May 4, 2014
You could scroll up like 20 posts... or read the OP...

Thanks rbox. I'm not sure how to create the . xml file though. I copied and pasted the file info you have here into a notepad and saved it as .xml and pushed it into the sdcard folder of the Fire TV, but nothing happens, the functions remains. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks rbox. I'm not sure how to create the . xml file though. I copied and pasted the file info you have here into a notepad and saved it as .xml and pushed it into the sdcard folder of the Fire TV, but nothing happens, the functions remains. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Did you reboot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a collection of Fire TV mods using Xposed. It requires that you are on software version 51.1.4.0 or newer. It currently contains:

• AlternateLauncher: This will start an alternate launcher instead of the Amazon one. It will load when the Fire TV starts and anytime you push the home button. The way this is done is a little hokey and there is currently no way to turn it off or select which launcher you want, so if you have more than one, the one that gets started is it.
    • HideAmazonMenuItems: Gives a settings menu to select which menu items to show.
    • HideLauncherAds: Hide the ad at the top of the Home screen.
    • KeyBindings: Allows any key to start any app.
    • RecentsOnMenuLong: Bring up the recents dialog when long pressing the home button.
    HideAmazonMenuItems:
    In order to do this, I had to hijack an existing Settings item, so the Help option is gone and I put a 'Menu Items' option at the beginning of the settings list. You can turn on/off any item except Home and Settings. After making changes you must reboot to see the changes.

KeyBindings:
    Someone requested this, but doing a UI for it would be too complicated, and I figured I'd put the feature out there for people to use, and eventually get around to making a UI for it. For now, you'll have to configure it manually. Create a file called key_bindings.xml and make it look like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F1">org.chromium.content_shell_apk</string>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F2_LONG">com.pandora.android.gtv</string>
    </map>

You can have as many entries as you like. You can find the KEYCODE names listed here: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html To set up a long press key put _LONG at the end of the key name. The other part is the package name you wish to start, org.chromium.content_shell_apk is Netflix. Then just adb push key_bindings.xml /sdcard/ and reboot. And it should start whatever app you specified when pressing that button. Do note that the button will not longer do whatever else it used to do. So if you bind ENTER to something, it will not longer function normally. By default, long press on home will launch the recents dialog. If you set up KEYCODE_HOME_LONG, it will override that behavior.

Starting with 51.1.5.0, Amazon provides a shortcut menu on home long press. If you would like to retain this functionality, you can use this key_bindings.xml file (Thanks to @Firef0xx819):
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_HOME_LONG"></string>
    </map>

Please let me know if you have any issues. One problem I know of is that it doesn't seem to show up in the list of applications, so if you want to uninstall it you need to use adb, ssh, or a terminal using the command pm uninstall rbox.xposed.firetvmods

Source code: https://github.com/androidrbox/RboxFireTvMods/

Changelog and Downloads:
    • 1.4: Added HideLauncherAds
    • 1.3: Fix HideAmazonMenuItems for 51.1.4.0.
    • 1.2: Allow KeyBindings to support long press keys
    • 1.1: Added HideAmazonMenuItems, KeyBindings, and RecentsOnMenuLong
    • 1.0: Initial version
    Update. xposed installed fine. The problem was the result of using an out of date apk. That is fixed.

I am still having trouble with RBox's mods. Has anyone else had any success?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also RBox is the The Man. Thanks again for all you have done over the past year.

I don't imagine any part of it works still. I'll have to redo it all probably.
    I updated the OP with version 1.4 to hide those annoying ads on the main screen.
    Hi rbox,
    Thanks much for your hard work, and the great tools you've provided for us. Is this the best place to look for updates on the menu items issue? I updated the firmware to get the new Netflix app, but I really miss the menu items fix!

Thanks.

I just updated the OP with 1.3 which fixes the menu items in 51.1.4.0.
    Can you or anybody tell if it run with a KingRoot Fire OS 5 FireTV box gen1?

Greetings by Idijt

So this module is pretty busted in FireOS5. Not to mention the fact that you really should only be installing Xposed with recovery, which I haven't released for KingRoot rooted boxes yet. Once I get recovery for firetv1 done, I'm moving on to Fire Stick. Then once that is all done, I will revisit this module.