[GUIDE] Increase Internal Storage! SD-EXT [NOOB FRIENDLY] [ROOT]

Search This thread

TheUnknownThing

Dec 2, 2013
Hello Folks! Did you ever wanted to increase internal storage? Well you came to the right place! Today I will show you the RIGHT way of increasing internal storage and allowing you to install more apps and games!
Note: You will need to be running an custom ROM before attempting to increase storage. Also root and superuser permissions will be needed. This method best works on gingerbread as it is more stable, I have tried it on ICS and JB but they may soft brick your device.

Step 1: Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition [DO NOT USE THE WINDOWS PARTITION AS IT DOES NOT SUPPORT EXT FORMATS]

Step 2: Plug your device in and make sure its mounted. Open MiniTool Partition Wizard, now you should see your SD card. [Back everything up before continuing]

Step 3: Right click on the SD card and click on "Format". This may take a while.

Step 4: Right click again and wipe the partition. Once that is done, split the partition. If you have a 8GB SD card I recommend you give 900MB for SD-EXT and the rest for SD.

Step 5: Before you apply, make the second partition (sd-ext) EXT 3 format. Do not touch the larger partition. Once your done you can unplug your device from the computer.

It should look like this:

Step 6: Go over to the Play Store and download "Mounts2Sd"

Step 7: Run the application and it should ask for super user rights

Step 8: Hopefully you will be presented with a screen like this.

Step 9: Press the menu button then tap on "Application Settings." Then tap "Install Mounts Script"

Step 10: Once step 9 is complete, tap the wrench icon and select apps and dalvik cache. (best effective way to increase internal storage)

Step 11: Scroll down and find "Driver" tap on that and select "Auto Detect"

Step 12: Restart! [NOTE: Boot may take a little longer than usual] [The speed on boot up now mainly depends on your SD card]

Now you are done! Here it what mine looks like now! So what ever you install, will go into the SD-EXT partition. Dalvik Cache is also now in SD-EXT!

I hope I helped you!

Attachments

• PARTITONING.PNG
    PARTITONING.PNG
    132.4 KB · Views: 2,061
Z

Zerien

Just wondering...

Hi there, I have a s5830 as well. I installed quite a number of apps in it but the internal storage is almost full. I have found this way of increasing the internal storage on many sites. But my question is, will it really work? I have read comments about this method. Most of the people say it just spoils your sd card. Let me know what you think. Thanks :)

gouthamgmv

Sep 1, 2011
Hi there, I have a s5830 as well. I installed quite a number of apps in it but the internal storage is almost full. I have found this way of increasing the internal storage on many sites. But my question is, will it really work? I have read comments about this method. Most of the people say it just spoils your sd card. Let me know what you think. Thanks :)

Isn't this pretty similar to Link2SD?

Z

Zerien

Wait I'm getting confused. Are these two the similar thing? If so how do you configure it? I installed link2sd and have partitioned my sd card. From here what are the procedures to expand your internal storage? Thx

Nearz99

Mar 1, 2014
About your statement...

Still man even you want it with mount2sd or link2sd still can't fully free up your internal memory coz still left some private apk that cost more on internal even that's been moved with any you named it mount2sd link2sd app2sd or with script and blahx2.... etc still there is no best method that work on freeing memory that also don't forget about statement that more app u can install more that u build cache or dalvik cache even that running front or background that also consumed your RAM issued even after you swap RAM To sd card that's finally broke your SD so That"s the end of it so if you have better solutions could you please send me email to rpermadiya@gmail.com Thanks again.... cheers....:)

Wait I'm getting confused. Are these two the similar thing? If so how do you configure it? I installed link2sd and have partitioned my sd card. From here what are the procedures to expand your internal storage? Thx

These two are similar in that they could make use of the partitioned sector of the sd card (known as the sd-ext) to act as additional "internal storage" for installing apps and works similarly as the phone internal memory. With the additional storage you could install more apps.

The above two are also similar in that they require init.d support and busy box. Most custom ROM normally are init.d supported and stock ROM's init.d support could be tested or added with app as per this tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1933849

Here are tutorials for Mount2SD and Link2SD.
Mount2SD Tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2389501
Link2SD Tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614700

Laszlo.a

Jul 13, 2016
Debrecen
Samsung Galaxy Ace memory related problem

Dear All,
I have a problem to solve regarding my Samsung Ace S-5830 (with built in 270 MB !!! internal memory) installed on a CM11.

Small description:
SD card partitioned (1st: 5.7 GB FAT32, 2nd: 1.4GB ext2) into the device (all memory: 270 MB, internal: 178MB !!!) I have already installed Link2SD application, linked a few applications (App. cache cleaner, disk usage, Google play services, Total commander) -> SD card

My storage usage status according to Link2SD:

internal (/data) 130/178 MB
SD card (storage/sdcard0: 97% free
SD card 2nd part (/data/sdext2): 90% free
system (/system): 205/206 MB 0% free -> it seems to me it completely full. I think the install script determines the space, I don't know whether it is the proper status
cache(/cache):4/24 Mb 82 %

I have already cleaned caches a few times. When I want to install a 20 MB or so application (i.e Accuweather ) from Google Play than the application downloaded, the install procedure seemingly finished, but at the end of the process the error message:
Can't install app
Insufficient storage available

Which storage insufficient? Where is the app downloading to? Where is the Google play store cache? Is it configurable? How can I solve/improve the situation?
In general devices have remarkable internal memory (at least 1-2GB) instead of Samsung Ace. How can I overcome this disadvantage? Thank you for your valuable support.
KR,
Laszlo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Folks! Did you ever wanted to increase internal storage? Well you came to the right place! Today I will show you the RIGHT way of increasing internal storage and allowing you to install more apps and games!
    Note: You will need to be running an custom ROM before attempting to increase storage. Also root and superuser permissions will be needed. This method best works on gingerbread as it is more stable, I have tried it on ICS and JB but they may soft brick your device.

Step 1: Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition [DO NOT USE THE WINDOWS PARTITION AS IT DOES NOT SUPPORT EXT FORMATS]

Step 2: Plug your device in and make sure its mounted. Open MiniTool Partition Wizard, now you should see your SD card. [Back everything up before continuing]

Step 3: Right click on the SD card and click on "Format". This may take a while.

Step 4: Right click again and wipe the partition. Once that is done, split the partition. If you have a 8GB SD card I recommend you give 900MB for SD-EXT and the rest for SD.

Step 5: Before you apply, make the second partition (sd-ext) EXT 3 format. Do not touch the larger partition. Once your done you can unplug your device from the computer.

It should look like this:

Step 6: Go over to the Play Store and download "Mounts2Sd"

Step 7: Run the application and it should ask for super user rights

Step 8: Hopefully you will be presented with a screen like this.

Step 9: Press the menu button then tap on "Application Settings." Then tap "Install Mounts Script"

Step 10: Once step 9 is complete, tap the wrench icon and select apps and dalvik cache. (best effective way to increase internal storage)

Step 11: Scroll down and find "Driver" tap on that and select "Auto Detect"

Step 12: Restart! [NOTE: Boot may take a little longer than usual] [The speed on boot up now mainly depends on your SD card]

Now you are done! Here it what mine looks like now! So what ever you install, will go into the SD-EXT partition. Dalvik Cache is also now in SD-EXT!

I hope I helped you!