FORUMS

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Samsung Galaxy K Zoom review for S4 Zoom users

13th February 2015, 04:49 PM |#231  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dartmoor
Thanks Meter: 624

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge1893

I have a question and Gavin could you answer this as well as I know you've had both phones going by your posts.

The camera is very important to me I like zooming and cropping so which phone should I go for between the Note 4 and the K Zoom?

What annoys me about the K Zoom is the lack of video light and the lack of notification light but the lack of video light bothers me more. Are they making a K Zoom successor? If they had poor sales they might not make one but if they do I hope they put a notification light and video light on the K Zoom 2.

Also from what I've seen the 8x zoom is quite good on the note but just how good is it?

I noticed the S6 might have a pro mode and manual and shutter speed control it would be nice if the note 4 got this in an update so it can take good indoor motion shots.

But anyway, K Zoom or Note 4?

Thank you for your time and I thank you in advance for your opinions.

I crop my Note 4 shots a lot and while nothing beats 10 times optical zoom, the quality when cropping in is sensational. Plus lollipop will bring more features to the camera (hopefully) that will make a difference.

But it also depends on price vs phone size vs what else do you need a phone to do.

13th February 2015, 06:00 PM |#232  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for the replies, from what I have seen, the note 4 won't be getting any new camera features with lollipop other than RAW?
14th February 2015, 12:26 AM |#233  
Thanks Meter: 209

More
Quote:

The camera is very important to me I like zooming and cropping so which phone should I go for between the Note 4 and the K Zoom?

What do you photograph ?

Quote:

What annoys me about the K Zoom is the lack of video light and the lack of notification light but the lack of video light bothers me more. Are they making a K Zoom successor?

What is a video light ?

Quote:

If they had poor sales they might not make one but if they do I hope they put a notification light and video light on the K Zoom 2.

Samsung are under pressure to make less phones. I think this would be a good thing. They over saturated the market over the last two years across the board. Whether this implies no successor to the zoom series remains to be seen. I can't see why they'd do it as this device is very good for what it does. That is to say has no competitors in its space and has in effect inspired a couple from panasonic and asus. Odds are there will be a successor.

Quote:

Ilso from what I've seen the 8x zoom is quite good on the note but just how good is it?

Do you understand the difference between optical vs digital zoom .

Take this selfie craze, handheld self portrait at arms length with a 30mm lens. You won't look great. people don't seem to care. So now you get 5mp & even 8MP front facing cameras. What is the focal length. the same. So the photo still looks skewed but it has more MP's so it must be better (rolls eyes).

Now 8x zoom is digital zooming at the same focal length. meaning perspectives don't change. Optical zoom changes perspectives. portraits taken at 85mm and above will always look better than with a 30 mm lens. To mimic the effect you need to stand back 6-8 feet then crop big time. Those expensive megapixels you paid for just went in the bin. Read this.

Quote:

I noticed the S6 might have a pro mode and manual and shutter speed control it would be nice if the note 4 got this in an update so it can take good indoor motion shots.

you can do this right now, just use more light.

Quote:

But anyway, K Zoom or Note 4?

Can you get any hands on time with both. Click subjects you would normally take. Take an OTG drive with you and then start cropping away and decide for yourself. The note 4 might get you a little sharper image but fixed focal length is limited in its own way too.
Last edited by One Twelve; 14th February 2015 at 12:40 AM.
15th February 2015, 09:07 PM |#234  

More
I am still very torn between the Note 4 and the K Zoom.

The thing is, you can't beat optical zoom and a xenon flash, it is disappointing that the K Zoom doesn't have an LED video light as that can help quite a bit in a dark room and the lack of notification light is a bit of a pain too.

I know the Note 4 has a great camera, if the zoom on the note was as good it would be an easy decision but obviously optical zoom always beats digital zoom.
15th February 2015, 09:24 PM |#235  
Thanks Meter: 301

More
in both cases you could always use accessories to cover the shortcomings.
there are some fixed zoom level lenses that can be attached to any smartphone, although they aren't as reliable as the zoom lens on the K Zoom.
and you could use a separate led torch with the K Zoom for video in dark places.
a flashlight like this: http://www.dx.com/p/naturehike-multi...4#.VOENlF3TU0M
can spread light in a wider area than most flashlights when used as a lantern, or at longer distances as a regular flashlight.
16th February 2015, 12:25 PM |#236  
Thanks Meter: 209

More
Quote:

I am still very torn between the Note 4 and the K Zoom. I know the Note 4 has a great camera, if the zoom on the note was as good it would be an easy decision but obviously optical zoom always beats digital zoom

You did not give us much to go with.

Quote:

The thing is, you can't beat optical zoom and a xenon flash, it is disappointing that the K Zoom doesn't have an LED video light as that can help quite a bit in a dark room and the lack of notification light is a bit of a pain too.

I don't care too much for flash in my photos and have hardly used the xenon flash. Even indoors ISO 400-800 does an acceptable job provided subject isn't moving much. Xenon is there if necessary. But better is possible.

You can use a keychain torch, something like fenix ld01 or similar, waay better than any camera led. next you hold it with your other hand outstretched and video with your remaining hand. Now you have an off camera light for photo or video. The light comes from the side, or top or bottom or where ever, much more flexible. Will look better than full frontal which is my biggest gripe with on camera lighting. However small light sources cast sharp shadows and are harsh, bigger sources of light are gentler and will look better. If you could get away with a lantern (with warmer light) or larger then all the better.

I have a small camera strap i lifted off an old compact and attached it to the lanyward hole of my auto-pop case so i never drop the k if i have to use it with one hand. Lanyard provision is big with the Japanese, zoom series are the first koreans i noticed that have it.
Last edited by One Twelve; 16th February 2015 at 12:37 PM.
21st April 2015, 07:18 PM |#237  

More
Are Samsung not making a K Zoom successor? The K Zoom was announced around this time last year.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread