Help Rooting Azpen A727

7,931 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,200

By player911, Recognized Developer on 28th April 2014, 02:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th April 2015, 07:39 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Do I have to download Google's 500mb Android SDK beforehand? Currently connecting via USB only gives up a vendor ID and device ID, but no name. It gets recognized if it connects as a USB device, but still with no name according to "lsusb".

Ditto with my ASUS TF700, but that I can at least push/pull from (no USB mode for file traansferring via thunarr).

29th April 2015, 11:13 PM |#52  

More
Question App Memory gained by rooting?
Needed more memory for apps so I rooted Azpen A727 with "Kingo Android ROOT". Was very easy.
Before rooting I had disabled: Bio eBooks, Games, Lookout Security, OfficeSuite
After rooting I deleted the disabled apps with "System App Safe Remover".
Problem: Available Memory before rooting was 102MB. After rooting 103MB. Negligible increase!
I thought App Memory would increase a lot after the pre-installed apps were removed.
Is there a trick to increase Available Memory, without editing Android files or running additional system apps?
Thanks for any advice/tips.
2nd August 2016, 02:17 AM |#53  
Flag New York City

More
Reflash?
I'm having a similar problem as the last poster, i have the A727 rooted, and it's decent enough for me to use as an eReader, but the 'Internal' storage is just about full, and while there's 640+ mb available in the secondary internal storage, it's still telling me it's almost full. I've put a 32gb microSD in, but it doesn't seem to be able to use it for apps. It appears to me that the on-board storage been partitioned by the manufacturer, anyone know of a thread that explains how i can wipe and reinstall Android on the storage and just have one storage space, like it is on my phone? perhaps a newer version?
2nd August 2016, 03:24 AM |#54  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Using an external card for app storage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan1188

I'm having a similar problem as the last poster, i have the A727 rooted, and it's decent enough for me to use as an eReader, but the 'Internal' storage is just about full, and while there's 640+ mb available in the secondary internal storage, it's still telling me it's almost full. I've put a 32gb microSD in, but it doesn't seem to be able to use it for apps. It appears to me that the on-board storage been partitioned by the manufacturer, anyone know of a thread that explains how i can wipe and reinstall Android on the storage and just have one storage space, like it is on my phone? perhaps a newer version?

If you have the A727 rooted, you can use the external card for app storage.

The first step is to repartition the card. SD cards come formatted as Fat32, but while you can store data on them Android apps can read and write, you can't store apps. That needs to be on an Android filesystem that supports the needed metadata. I popped the card out on mine, stuck it into an adapter, and repartitioned the card from my Windows desktop, using Mini-Tool Partition Manager Free Edition:
http://www.minitool.com/partition-ma...zard-home.html

Using Mini-Tool, I resized the existing FAT32 partition to carve out a 2GB free space, then formatted that as Linux ext4 (which is what Android on my tablet uses.) Note you must set this partition as Primary, not Logical. I put the card back in the tablet, powered off, and rebooted. Android looked at the card, saw the ext4 partition, and mounted it.

The next step was a freeware app called Link2SD: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....Link2SD&hl=en
Link2SD lets you move installed apps to the Linux filesystem on the external card, and place a symlink in the root filesystem pointing to the new location. Android follows the link and loads and runs the app. It neither knows nor cares that the app is actually on the external card. Placing the symlink in th3e root file system is what requires a rooted device. You can't modify the root file system as a normal user.

With an ext4 file system on the card and Link2SD, I was able to move almost everything to the card, and install enormous apps like AndrOpen Office, an Android port of Open Office that requires at least 300MB of free storage to install.
______
Dennis
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)