Restore Menu Button functionality (S4 style)

Search This thread

xAjCx

Sep 24, 2013
HB/LBC
www.google.com
you guys can always use "xposed additions" module and remap all the buttons to how you want with many different options.

screen on, screen off, and lockscreen then choose function of long press or single press. worked for me fine for the longest time and I still have s-health intact.

sremick

Jul 17, 2010
www.turtlekickers.com
On my ROM (Bliss) I just assigned a long-hold of the [Home] button to pop up a menu. Double-tapping it brings up a Google Search (Google Now). Long-hold of back button kills the current app, and long-hold of the "window"/tasks/whatever button jumps to the previous app.

I do miss my 4 buttons (came from an S2) but this gets me by.

iviyth0s

Jul 8, 2009
So there's been no progress on getting this to work for anything other than the one press of the app-switch button?

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
I am not sure what you guys are trying to figure out on here....

I mapped my left button for:
Short press: Menu
Long press: Recents

Right button:
Short press: Back
Long press: Screenshot

Home button:
Short press: Home
Long press: Screen off

Or am I missing on something?

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
well obviously aftermarket roms have that feature. This is for those of us running stock roms.

How do you do it with your AT&T Galaxy S5 Stock rom you have listed on your sig?

So that is what I was missing... stock. My AT&T is on default itself. Its for my wife, so nothing done to it other than rooting n freezing unwanted AT&T apps.

pcliveiii

Aug 19, 2009
it worked with me on note 4 juste added # to key 254 (app_switch) and # to key 139 MENU , under Samsung line and id disabled it totally..
Thanks buddies for the post.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For reasons of my own, I didn't like the app switcher functionality of the capacitive button (prefer long press instead). I wanted the left softkey to act like it did on the S4, my Note 2014, etc.

After much research, I was able to find the steps needed to make this work. No one seemed to have posted the steps before, so here we go:

1) Download a file manager with root access
    2) Navigate to system>usr>keylayout and open Generic.kl in a text editor.
    3) Look for key 254 and change APP_SWITCH to MENU
    4) Save and reboot

A step further, to have long press activate the app switcher, will come later when I have time to check.

Credits:digitalrelic (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2690067)
    Can we get flashabke zips one to change and one to revert. I like to have all mods in a folder on SD so I can revert and or redo after wipe. Thanks! Lol I don't even have my s5 it'll be here by Tuesday. I've spent more time reading up waiting for it then I did the whole time I had s4.
    Here you go.

Always safe to make backup before flashing anything

Mod - https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8xe7vm0l8men8i/GS5 Menu Button (S4 style).zip

Stock - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vna358rswllgzh/GS5 Menu Button (Stock).zip

---------- Post added 29th April 2014 at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 28th April 2014 at 11:28 PM ----------

hmm interesting , by the looks APP_SWITCH needs to be placed around here

# samsung dummy key (common)
    key 249 DUMMY_HOME1
    key 250 DUMMY_HOME2
    key 251 DUMMY_MENU
    key 252 DUMMY_HOME
    key 253 DUMMY_BACK

With MENU edit added hold key and it brings up Home screen edit , Push menu key again while thats open and App switch displays.
    Im thinking line 252 needs edit I will play tomorrow
    Never had a phone like that, for a long time now it's been menu is menu and long press is recent apps. Back is back and long press back is search. At least on phones I've add within last 2 years. I can play with it if any is interested having back button as recent apps.
    Edit: to have back button be recent apps edit line 158 to APP_SWITCH.
    How did you map them?
    How did you map them?

I have Alliance ROM, and it has built in options to set these button mappings.